Derby County: Delivering on the vision

Gritty

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice article , but really not sure where we go from here , probably needs a restatement of the strategy at the end of the season and  a local press who have the stones to ask GR how he is going to deliver on that strategy month by month 

Yes....all of that is true.

if the strategy is confused, then the responsibility lies with Mel.

we are left not really knowing what he wants. Performance or promotion. I think he loses it during the second-half-of-the-season collapses, and then thinks he'll get a manager in who will give the players a good kicking.

Gary took some big decisions, and went for it death-or-glory. 

Ok verdict time.....?

I think we need a 21st century version of Bobby Robson. Doesn't everyone?

a manager who admired skill, developed young players, but also commanded the respect of the senior pros. Ipswich were famous for producing their own talent - cooper, burley, beattie, osman, mills, butcher, talbot, lambert, hamilton, osbourne, woods, brazil, gates, wark, whymark - but he also shopped abroad to get Muhren and thijssen, and in lower leagues - Mariner.  They played good football and had sustained success, but the quality of the football determined everything.

We don't know what we believe in. Football or physicality. 

Maybe the financial landscape and the first crop of academy graduates will force us go in a certain direction. But forget promotion. Promotion will happen when we are good enough. First we need to do what we should have started last summer - build a young team and play the right way.

2 hours ago, feisty said:

A few thoughts on why I think we're in such a mess. May not be telling anyone anythign they don't already know. But I found it cathartic.

https://dcfcreflections.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/delivering-on-vision.html

This is bang on, however I think a change in vision is totally down to money. Sad but can’t see any other reason for Mel to change his mind. 

Would love to ask Mel to his face if he is happy with Rowett ball. 

Do think Rowett is now in to do a clough type job. That’s very sad after playing the way we did in 2013/14 

2 hours ago, feisty said:

A few thoughts on why I think we're in such a mess. May not be telling anyone anythign they don't already know. But I found it cathartic.

https://dcfcreflections.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/delivering-on-vision.html

Brilliant analysis Sir of the tangled thinking that has seen the good foundations of the Nigel Clough years literally ripped out and skipped. We now have an academy working with talented players whose style is completely at odds with the “hoofing” modus operandus at first team level. What happened to the Golden Thread? 

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

Brilliant analysis Sir of the tangled thinking that has seen the good foundations of the Nigel Clough years literally ripped out and skipped. We now have an academy working with talented players whose style is completely at odds with the “hoofing” modus operandus at first team level. What happened to the Golden Thread? 

We can only hope that the short termism of this season will have convinced Mel to return to the original vision of a slow build through the academy and the derby way.

I don't believe that rowett fits into that vision at all but let's see if Mel does and whether gary can adapt to it.

From his management style here,at Brum and burton,it seems extremely unlikely.

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We can only hope that the short termism of this season will have convinced Mel to return to the original vision of a slow build through the academy and the derby way.

I don't believe that rowett fits into that vision at all but let's see if Mel does and whether gary can adapt to it.

From his management style here,at Brum and burton,it seems extremely unlikely.

Correct Sir. will MM stick or twist? 

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Correct Sir. will MM stick or twist? 

He would have twisted previously and well before yesterday, but I fear that he has invested too much into rowett publicly and doesn't want to admit he's made a massive mistake.

He'll have time to ponder that by the season, however when management alternatives become available.

Bottom line is that I don't know...I thought gr would have gone by after the game to be honest.

Spot on article. Agree with everything in it. It now requires a clear strategy and we must stick with it. That’s either give Rowett another season to get a team that fulfills his vision (which he may or may not deliver), or a new manager who must be given 2 years minimum to establish their vision. A new vision of a new manager is likely to require restructuring and further investment both of which we don’t have and get it wrong, the consequences could be greater than whinging about the quality of football (which I’m still unable to be convinced by anyone it’s worse than last season!), it could be relegation.

29 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Spot on article. Agree with everything in it. It now requires a clear strategy and we must stick with it. That’s either give Rowett another season to get a team that fulfills his vision (which he may or may not deliver), or a new manager who must be given 2 years minimum to establish their vision. A new vision of a new manager is likely to require restructuring and further investment both of which we don’t have and get it wrong, the consequences could be greater than whinging about the quality of football (which I’m still unable to be convinced by anyone it’s worse than last season!), it could be relegation.

I agree.

Thanks for the kind remarks on the article. 

I far preferred the 'original' (McClaren-esque) Derby Way. But I accept that others found the focus on possession and passing too slow paced without enough blood and thunder.  Different people and managers prefer different styles and that's a good thing as it makes football all the richer. 

We're already one season into the shift to a power and pace, more direct style. If that's the new vision for the team fine.  But I'd like Mel to articulate what the vision is.  If I can get to a fans forum at some point I will ask myself.

I know Mel got some stick about the Derby way but he was basically saying he wanted us to play good football to feet and introduce homegrown players. If the whole club is set up to play that way from youth teams to the 1st team a change in coach or manager shouldn’t change the way we play that much just a few tweaks but now we are miles away from the Derby neutrals enjoyed watching and actually wanted us to get promoted. Now we are just a bang average hoof ball team who are going backwards and the league table does lie as we are not the 7th best team in the championship by a long way.

Looking at the big picture, since Clough, Mac, Pearson, Clement and Mac again. Now with Rowett. Who in those 5 years or so have given the club the best bunch of players. Keogh, Fozzy, Hughes, Bryson, Russell, Buxton, Martin off the top of my head were all introduced to the first team by Nigel Clough. Please let me know if I'm wrong or I have missed any player off the list.    BRING BACK NIGEL

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

I think we need a 21st century version of Bobby Robson. Doesn't everyone?

a manager who admired skill, developed young players, but also commanded the respect of the senior pros. Ipswich were famous for producing their own talent - cooper, burley, beattie, osman, mills, butcher, talbot, lambert, hamilton, osbourne, woods, brazil, gates, wark, whymark - but he also shopped abroad to get Muhren and thijssen, and in lower leagues - Mariner.  They played good football and had sustained success, but the quality of the football determined everything.

We don't know what we believe in. Football or physicality. 

Maybe the financial landscape and the first crop of academy graduates will force us go in a certain direction. But forget promotion. Promotion will happen when we are good enough. First we need to do what we should have started last summer - build a young team and play the right way.

Who though?

37 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Looking at the big picture, since Clough, Mac, Pearson, Clement and Mac again. Now with Rowett. Who in those 5 years or so have given the club the best bunch of players. Keogh, Fozzy, Hughes, Bryson, Russell, Buxton, Martin off the top of my head were all introduced to the first team by Nigel Clough. Please let me know if I'm wrong or I have missed any player off the list.    BRING BACK NIGEL

As I said,he was the best buyer of players in years,just look at that lot!

I still like the idea of cloughy as dof and Mac or Simpson as coach who would bring the elements together in the derby way.

2 hours ago, plymouthram said:

We have gone over this a thousand times,yes Nigel can spot a player but surely you haven’t forgot his negative tactics especially away from home. 

Archived