Derbyshire Cricket 2018

Jimbo Ram

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, eddie said:

No it wasn't.

They absolutely fought tooth and nail right to the bitter end, and took the game into the last hour, even giving Kent a few collywobbles as they subsided to 87-4 before knocking off the runs. With 10 minutes to go before tea, I was beginning to think they might just hang on - then Denly produced a rank long hop to Palladino which, under normal circumstances, he would have rattled to the fence. Only the ball didn't bounce at all - and I mean that. I doubt it got more than 3 incles off the ground and he was trapped in front, thus putting an end to a partnership which had lasted almost an hour and a half and which had contributed 72 runs.

It was a really good game of cricket, and it was decided almost like a tennis match - a few big moments. Thursday morning, when Kent added nearlt 200 for the last 4 wickets basically took away any chance of a home victory, but the draw was made increasingly difficult with a series of irresponsible strokes with batsmen well-set, and the crazy run-out of Palladino which eventually meant that they were 11 runs short of making Kent bat again. Then in the second innings, a completely freak dismissal removed Sean Ervine. He drove a ball off Riley on to his own boot, and the ball looped straight to Kuhn at short leg.

As far as your 'Derbydire' comment, I really think that it's better that you never bother coming down to the County Ground. They are obviously unworthy of your support, and I'm sure that the players would feel really bad for upsetting you if they didn't win.

How many times have we done ok in the first innings and then the batting has capitulated in the second? Quite a few times. I have supported this team through thick and thin, was a member, travelling a 120 mile round trip to home games. I think I am entitled to my opinion thanks Eddie.

5 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

How many times have we done ok in the first innings and then the batting has capitulated in the second? Quite a few times. I have supported this team through thick and thin, was a member, travelling a 120 mile round trip to home games. I think I am entitled to my opinion thanks Eddie.

The batting didn't capitulate in the second innings though - they sold their wickets quite dearly and came close to saving the game. The problem in this match was the pre-game set-up, pretty naff captaincy throughout and a very poor first-innings bowling performance coupled with a first-innings collapse on the third day. It was almost as though Derbyshire tried to play a silly double-bluff, expecting Kent to put them in first with the reputation the County Ground has for assisting seamers. Instead, the track was akin to an Indian sub-continent track - and which Kent, with a far more experienced spin line-up, were well-equipped to exploit as soon as Derbyshire failed to make the follow-on total.

It's worth pointing out that before this match, Kent had amassed a total of 6 (SIX!!!) batting points all season - that total now stands at 11. Only once before this season had Kent made 300 in the first innings - their strength was, like Derbyshire, in their bowling, both seam and spin. Although Derbyshire scored 400 in the first innings, that was far from 'doing ok'. They were 288-2 before both Madsen and Hughes took liberties againt Riley and perished.

Regarding your opinion - sure, you are entitled to it, but why be so bitter and twisted about it?

8 minutes ago, eddie said:

The batting didn't capitulate in the second innings though - they sold their wickets quite dearly and came close to saving the game. The problem in this match was the pre-game set-up, pretty naff captaincy throughout and a very poor first-innings bowling performance coupled with a first-innings collapse on the third day. It was almost as though Derbyshire tried to play a silly double-bluff, expecting Kent to put them in first with the reputation the County Ground has for assisting seamers. Instead, the track was akin to an Indian sub-continent track - and which Kent, with a far more experienced spin line-up, were well-equipped to exploit as soon as Derbyshire failed to make the follow-on total.

It's worth pointing out that before this match, Kent had amassed a total of 6 (SIX!!!) batting points all season - that total now stands at 11. Only once before this season had Kent made 300 in the first innings - their strength was, like Derbyshire, in their bowling, both seam and spin. Although Derbyshire scored 400 in the first innings, that was far from 'doing ok'. They were 288-2 before both Madsen and Hughes took liberties againt Riley and perished.

Regarding your opinion - sure, you are entitled to it, but why be so bitter and twisted about it?

Bitter and twisted? Explain?

I might sound like a broken record....but straight away I picked up on eddies comment about the captaincy. I’ve made know secret of the fact I think Godleman is a poor captain (at best) and would like to see him just concentrating on his batting.

But is there any other options as captain? Don’t imagine Madsen would want to do it again. Don’t see anyone in the current squad jumping out as captain material, but neither did Godleman before he was appointed.

4 minutes ago, eddie said:

You even called the county 'Derbydire'

Oh dear, not a hanging offence....and certainly not bitter and twisted. Just losing games like that have a bit of inevitability about it. I am as disappointed as you but at least the Rams won.......

33 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Oh dear, not a hanging offence....

Should be ?

31 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Harvey Hosein repaying my faith in him... hopefully he'll be given the full time wicket keeper/batsmen duties next season

Really good effort today, whereas most of the team seem to be batting a position or two too high, he perhaps could go up the order, think he will do eventually.

5 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Should be ?

Really good effort today, whereas most of the team seem to be batting a position or two too high, he perhaps could go up the order, think he will do eventually.

Reece has been a big loss, as has Thakor. It will be interesting to see what changes Houghton makes during the winter..

14 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Also going from 99/2 to 137/6 in my mind is a capitulation, how would you describe it Eddie?

OK, I'll go through those 4 wickets (as far as I can remember - with a little help from the scorecard).

1. Hughes edged Henry to Billings - not a particularly airy-fairy stroke - just a good delivery from a guy who had taken 50 wickets in his previous 6 county championship matches. Too good for Hughes.

2. Lace bowled by Grant Stewart - good ball beat the forward defensive push. In Lace's defence, he was making his county championship debut at the age of 20 against the best attack in Division 2 - and made 40 and 43. He's also not a 'Derbydire' youth product (ok, I'll leave that alone now - just so long as you promise that when Derby County go on a bad run, you don't just drop the 'o') - he's on loan from Middlesex as a replacement for Slater, who has legged it to Notts.

3. Matt Critchley - this is a strange one, and if he suffers the same fate again in his career, I'll be surprised. He edged the ball from Riley, and Billings, diving forward, caught the ball (I kid you not) between his knees - and somehow the ball didn't touch the ground. At the moment, Critchley isn't quite good enough with bat or ball to be relied on consistently, yet a month ago he scored a half century and took 10 wickets against Northants to almost single-handedly propel Derbyshire to victory at Chesterfield. You have to persevere at this stage and hope that the consistency comes and his occasional poor performances improve. He is a natural attacking player with both bat and ball - I'm not sure whether curbing those natural instincts are a goot thing or not.

4. Sean Ervine - drove the ball on to his own boot and it looped up to short leg. A fluke.

Derbyshire lost 4 wickets for 38 runs - if that is a capitulation based upon numbers alone, how would you describe losing 7 wickets for 82 (or 8 for 112) in the first innings? Clue: you previously described it as an 'ok' performance purely because they scored 400, but I would describe THAT as a capitulation, and the creation of a slow, low straw-coloured strip in an attempt to nullify the opposition's strength (as opposed to preparing a strip which favours our own strength which is seam bowling) as something close to cowardice.

You perhaps seem to think that I am a bit of a cricketing happy-clapper compared to your 'gritty realism' but I am far from happy about things - blooding local players for a game or two then watching them disappear without trace when they are no worse than their replacements, bringing in imports for one competition and then having those disappear down the same plughole in similar fashion after one game - there is a distinct lack of continuity. Although I was very impressed with Lace (prediction - future England player in one form or another), I fail to see the benefit of him playing instead of a possibly up-and-coming someone from the second eleven (are there any?). All we are doing is helping Middlesex out, it seems.

To me, a capitulation is a mental thing - rabbits trapped in headlights. I just don't think that applied here. The first-innings collapse was down to (in my opinion) a lack of professionalism, perhaps - three of the dismissals were down to stupid shots or taking liberties, one was a silly charge down the wicket and one was a needless run out. The players (both individually and collectively) need to address those failings first - just perhaps they did in the second innings.

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Harvey Hosein repaying my faith in him... hopefully he'll be given the full time wicket keeper/batsmen duties next season

I hope so. To say that on his debut at 18 he broke Bob Taylor's record for the most catches in a match for Derbyshire, his career didn't really kick on is perhaps an understatement. There's not a lot of difference between his batting stats and those of Daryn Smit - he definitely needs matches. He let a lot of byes through this week, but then again so did Sam Billings.

Another interesting comparison with Billings this week - both keepers suffered the ignominy of having the ball evade their grasp and clobber the ever-waiting helmet, thus incurring 5 penalty extras.

14 minutes ago, eddie said:

OK, I'll go through those 4 wickets (as far as I can remember - with a little help from the scorecard).

1. Hughes edged Henry to Billings - not a particularly airy-fairy stroke - just a good delivery from a guy who had taken 50 wickets in his previous 6 county championship matches. Too good for Hughes.

2. Lace bowled by Grant Stewart - good ball beat the forward defensive push. In Lace's defence, he was making his county championship debut at the age of 20 against the best attack in Division 2 - and made 40 and 43. He's also not a 'Derbydire' youth product (ok, I'll leave that alone now - just so long as you promise that when Derby County go on a bad run, you don't just drop the 'o') - he's on loan from Middlesex as a replacement for Slater, who has legged it to Notts.

3. Matt Critchley - this is a strange one, and if he suffers the same fate again in his career, I'll be surprised. He edged the ball from Riley, and Billings, diving forward, caught the ball (I kid you not) between his knees - and somehow the ball didn't touch the ground. At the moment, Critchley isn't quite good enough with bat or ball to be relied on consistently, yet a month ago he scored a half century and took 10 wickets against Northants to almost single-handedly propel Derbyshire to victory at Chesterfield. You have to persevere at this stage and hope that the consistency comes and his occasional poor performances improve. He is a natural attacking player with both bat and ball - I'm not sure whether curbing those natural instincts are a goot thing or not.

4. Sean Ervine - drove the ball on to his own boot and it looped up to short leg. A fluke.

Derbyshire lost 4 wickets for 38 runs - if that is a capitulation based upon numbers alone, how would you describe losing 7 wickets for 82 (or 8 for 112) in the first innings? Clue: you previously described it as an 'ok' performance purely because they scored 400, but I would describe THAT as a capitulation, and the creation of a slow, low straw-coloured strip in an attempt to nullify the opposition's strength (as opposed to preparing a strip which favours our own strength which is seam bowling) as something close to cowardice.

You perhaps seem to think that I am a bit of a cricketing happy-clapper compared to your 'gritty realism' but I am far from happy about things - blooding local players for a game or two then watching them disappear without trace when they are no worse than their replacements, bringing in imports for one competition and then having those disappear down the same plughole in similar fashion after one game - there is a distinct lack of continuity. Although I was very impressed with Lace (prediction - future England player in one form or another), I fail to see the benefit of him playing instead of a possibly up-and-coming someone from the second eleven (are there any?). All we are doing is helping Middlesex out, it seems.

To me, a capitulation is a mental thing - rabbits trapped in headlights. I just don't think that applied here. The first-innings collapse was down to (in my opinion) a lack of professionalism, perhaps - three of the dismissals were down to stupid shots or taking liberties, one was a silly charge down the wicket and one was a needless run out. The players (both individually and collectively) need to address those failings first - just perhaps they did in the second innings.

Agree with a lot of your general points Eddie. I think that David Houghton has a big job on his hands.

10 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Agree with a lot of your general points Eddie. I think that David Houghton has a big job on his hands.

We live in hope.

The most interesting 'not a lot of people know that' fact I know about David Houghton is that he won 3 'man of the match' awards in one-day internationals - but on each occasion, he finished on the losing side.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

See we have signed a young Middlesex all-rounder on loan to replace Ervine...why not save the pennies and give one of our own youngsters a chance???

Yeah, unless there’s an idea of bringing them in permanently next season, which I have no idea whether that’s a realistic option for either Lace or Andersson, then I don’t see the point in the loans at all.

44 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

See we are struggling, batting first against bottomed place Glamorgan. Only Godleman holding things together, 176/6 at Tea. Also see Slater has hit an unbeaten century for Notts v Yorks......

Match delayed for at least the second time I’ve seen. I guess the overhead conditions are making the ball do a bit for the bowlers.

lets hope Andersson can bat a bit and give Godleman some support.

Archived