Derbyshire Cricket 2018

Jimbo Ram

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suddenly that table looks a lot nicer. With 5th place Middlesex away then Gloucester at home in the final game. Think we’d have all been delighted with a 4th place finish at the start of the season. 

The top 3 have been well clear of the rest, though Sussex seem to have blown their promotion hopes losing to Durham.

23C84DD8-CD8D-4B62-BC8B-8BE5B0E3909F.png

Boring stuff, this 4 day cricket.

Hope everyone's tickers are ok. I was listening in the car on Radio Derby, in Northamptonshire of all places! Not at the match unfortunately. Heart was pounding like bass drum.

Were we not the favourites to finish last this year?

8 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Were we not the favourites to finish last this year?

Had a quick look, as I seemed to remember this too...

wisden & the Guardian both predicted us to finish bottom. I don’t imagine there was too many differing opinions.

wisden did predict us to reach the t20 quarter finals again though.

Wowzer....what a win!! Nothing 'dire' about that Eddie....

Surely Hosein has established himself as No 1 behind the stumps now? Not sure where that leaves Wilson...pay off part of his contract and release him? If we can win one of our last 2 we will have ended the season on a real high. Well chuffed.....

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Surely Hosein has established himself as No 1 behind the stumps now? Not sure where that leaves Wilson...pay off part of his contract and release him? If we can win one of our last 2 we will have ended the season on a real high. Well chuffed.....

I think perhaps Wilson will be kept around another year to share the workload over all 3 formats. Hosein definitely looking like he’s playing himself into the first choice position for next season.

2 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

I think perhaps Wilson will be kept around another year to share the workload over all 3 formats. Hosein definitely looking like he’s playing himself into the first choice position for next season.

I would prefer Smit as back up, better with the gloves and is as good with the bat....Wilson been a big disappointment for me...

3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

That was the 8th time in Derbyshire's history that they had won a county championship game by 1 run. I was thinking of going down yesterday, but unfortunately circumstances dictated otherwise. Probably a good job - I don't have a 'dicky ticker' but probably would have after witnessing such heroics.

Hosein's certainly the man in charge of the gloves at the moment, but I wouldn't ditch Wilson, because Smit's off at the end of the season. I don't know anything about the junior talent coming through from the Second XI - even looking at the scorecards seem to indicate that the last person to get the ground has to keep wicket.

46 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I would prefer Smit as back up, better with the gloves and is as good with the bat....Wilson been a big disappointment for me...

It seems Smit is already going. I agree fully that Wilson has been very disappointing. Watched yesterday’s highlights and his run out is a shocker, Hughes doesn’t even move at the other end and looks in disbelief when he sees Wilson half way down the track.

16 minutes ago, eddie said:

That was the 8th time in Derbyshire's history that they had won a county championship game by 1 run. I was thinking of going down yesterday, but unfortunately circumstances dictated otherwise. Probably a good job - I don't have a 'dicky ticker' but probably would have after witnessing such heroics.

Hosein's certainly the man in charge of the gloves at the moment, but I wouldn't ditch Wilson, because Smit's off at the end of the season. I don't know anything about the junior talent coming through from the Second XI - even looking at the scorecards seem to indicate that the last person to get the ground has to keep wicket.

Statto ??

Archived