We Used to be a genuine football team

TommyPowell

those were the days when we could turn up on a saturday and be sure we would be supporting a side with talent and pride now unfortunately instead of being a talented well respected team we have become a rich mans plaything. whilst im on my soap box can anybody offer any suggestions to why you would sub your leading goalscorer for a central defender???????

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think we are lost. There doesn't seem to be any direction for anything that we do, on the pitch or (except Moor Farm) off of it. 

What is Derby's style? What are we trying to achieve? It all seems very chaotic and frankly, pretty crap. 

18 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

can anybody offer any suggestions to why you would sub your leading goalscorer for a central defender?

Damage limitation? Goal difference could end up being crucial.

15 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

What is Derby's style? What are we trying to achieve?

Counter attack. Play Offs. 

Wolves are a bloody good team you know and we're in a bit of a transitional phase.

13 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

those were the days when we could turn up on a saturday and be sure we would be supporting a side with talent and pride now unfortunately instead of being a talented well respected team we have become a rich mans plaything. whilst im on my soap box can anybody offer any suggestions to why you would sub your leading goalscorer for a central defender???????

Simple and obvious answer to the question about substitution is that the game was well and truly lost by then (in truth it was probably lost at 6 minutes). He wanted to protect Vydra, who was carrying a knock, and hopefully make sure he was available for Saturday. Why bring on a defender instead of a forward player? I guess it was a case of damage limitation. We could have played all night and probably not scored so perhaps it was more important to try and prevent them from scoring any more. 

We are in with a shot at the playoffs, competing at the right end of the table and just lost to the league leaders with genuine champions league quality players in their side. 

Whats the problem? Style of play? 

Playing possession based football has not worked in the past so why would it work now?

Best we can hope for is to fluke it up in the playoffs ala QPR (if we get the opportunity).

Alot of boring threads being posted that need Moderating atm imo.

thanks Funkyram

29 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

Personally I think we are lost. There doesn't seem to be any direction for anything that we do, on the pitch or (except Moor Farm) off of it. 

What is Derby's style? What are we trying to achieve? It all seems very chaotic and frankly, pretty crap. 

This. a million times this!

Give us a ******* identity. Preferably younger, hungry players with points to prove trying to play a high intensity style (regardless of direct/possession based). 

Tell the fans thats how were going to be playing. Tell them that won't change regardless of personnel changes in coaching or playing staff and tell the fans to expect it to fall on its arse sometimes when we lose to Mick McCarthy's next side because we're trying to play with an identity. Tell the fans to expect mistakes to be made individually as the team will require time to grow together.

Be open and honest with us and hopefully enough of us will respect what the club are trying to do in order to stick around if it takes a couple of years. 

2 minutes ago, FunkyRam said:

We are in with a shot at the playoffs, competing at the right end of the table and just lost to the league leaders with genuine champions league quality players in their side. 

Whats the problem? Style of play? 

Playing possession based football has not worked in the past so why would it work now?

Best we can hope for is to fluke it up in the playoffs ala QPR (if we get the opportunity).

Alot of boring threads being posted that need Moderating atm imo.

thanks Funkyram

I don't think fans are demanding possession based football. I think what we were promised and what we expected was high intensity and energetic performances which could be possession based or more on the counter. Not been evident at all. 

9 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Damage limitation? Goal difference could end up being crucial.

Counter attack. Play Offs. 

Wolves are a bloody good team you know and we're in a bit of a transitional phase.

They are indeed. Sunderland aren't. 

15 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I don't think fans are demanding possession based football. I think what we were promised and what we expected was high intensity and energetic performances which could be possession based or more on the counter. Not been evident at all. 

5th in a season i thought we would be mid table. Happy days

Just now, FunkyRam said:

5th in a season i thought we would be mid table. Happy days

And yet the disappointment will still be the same. 

I'd rather be 10th playing good football with a young, hungry squad that I can see progressing in the season to follow rather than 5th, hanging in by the coat tails with a team that are only going to decline due to their age. 

It isn't style over substance when we aren't getting the substance either. 

16 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I'd rather be 10th playing good football with a young, hungry squad that I can see progressing in the season to follow rather than 5th, hanging in by the coat tails with a team that are only going to decline due to their age. 

Not going to respond to this because everything quoted is utter crap.

Brentford is the team i guess you'd be interested in following because you sure as hell dont support!

18 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I kind of agree, we've thrown everything in the promotion pot this season and whether it succeeds or fails the squad won't be good enough next season.  I've grown more apathetic watching Derby over the past couple of seasons and need a shake up to give me something to get interested in again.

Clearing out this squad over the next couple of seasons and replacing them with young, hungry players would do that.  I'd take a couple of seasons mid-table if there was investment in youth and a long term plan.

14 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I get fed up of people crying out for a distinct style of play, because whenever we've had one - it hasn't worked.

I do agree about the concerns about the age of our squad etc though.

Depends what you mean by worked really I guess. We aren't a PL club so if we have a decent football team who win more games than we lose, play some decent stuff and get fans off the edge of their seats then surely that's what working is? 

You only have to look at the pitiful amount of fans that travelled an hour down the road last night to see how much they want to watch their team at the moment, a team sat in 5th with a chance of promotion. Mind blowing. 

6 minutes ago, FunkyRam said:

Not going to respond to this because everything quoted is utter crap.

Brentford is the team i guess you'd be interested in following because you sure as hell dont support!

Get down off your high horse princess.

I've renewed for the 15th year in a row and I'll continue to give my complete support during games but I'm sure as hell going to vent my frustration on a fans forum that is made for that exact purpose. 

onto what you actually said 'everything is utter crap' so you disagree that next season this squad (another year older) will be worse? 

You disagree that were hanging into the play offs by its coat tails? 

You disagree that we're not currently getting the results required to mask this p1ss poor style we've gone to? 

I look at Wolves and the players they have signed and i have a feeling on envy. Last night was the most embarrassed i have ever been inside a football stadium, Watching a team totally outclass us and us not even looking like a championship side was hard to swallow. For me if we lose to Burton, Sack Rowett. The football style is going backwards. The quality of players is going backwards. The aspirations of club members and fans is going backwards. The attendances are going backwards. We should be like wolves, Sign some top quality players and play an attractive fast paced attacking style of football but also show a resilient hard working organised side to our game. I dont think GR or MM have a clue what the future holds, but from whats been said next season is a write off already and this season will probably come to an embarrassing end whether thats in dropping out of the play offs and being labeled as bottlers again or getting thrashed home and away in the play offs.

28 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Some folk will be gutted if we manage to get in the playoffs and somehow win them.

I don't think they will. You can still support a team, and want them to do well, without being so blinded by loyalty that you refuse to criticise or question methods. 

Archived