We Used to be a genuine football team

TommyPowell

25 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Get down off your high horse princess.

I've renewed for the 15th year in a row and I'll continue to give my complete support during games but I'm sure as hell going to vent my frustration on a fans forum that is made for that exact purpose. 

onto what you actually said 'everything is utter crap' so you disagree that next season this squad (another year older) will be worse? 

You disagree that were hanging into the play offs by its coat tails? 

You disagree that we're not currently getting the results required to mask this p1ss poor style we've gone to? 

But what with this older squad rubbish?the average age of players brought in comes to 27!

Hudd 30, Ledley 31, Davies 33 (easy player of the season) all very capable at this level as proven by the league table and have easily 2 more years to give.

And yes i disagree with everything you have to say on this fans forum.

Do you really think the right time to introduce youth is with 5 games to go battling for the playoffs?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Depends what you mean by worked really I guess. We aren't a PL club so if we have a decent football team who win more games than we lose, play some decent stuff and get fans off the edge of their seats then surely that's what working is?

Which would be fine if we didn't ultimately have to aim at promotion in order to make the finances add up longer term. Whatever style weve played in the past hasn't done it. We wait and see with Rowettball.

For the future of the club, it has to be about results first - at least in the short term.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

For the future of the club, it has to be about results first - at least in the short term.

Nuts to that. The short term might cause even more damage.

Do you think players will be falling over themselves to sign for Rowetts Derby or the fans will be packing the stadium?

43 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

I don't think they will. You can still support a team, and want them to do well, without being so blinded by loyalty that you refuse to criticise or question methods. 

Fair enough. In my view I will question the methods when the results don't materialise. As it stands we are in the playoffs which I would have been more than happy with before the season started.

If we finish 10th it's a different conversation.

Something on the match thread yesterday triggered something in my mind. It was the picture of Wolves players from the late 70s/early 80s and someone reminded me that we once had John Richards playing for us. It got me thinking that we had all sorts of way-past-it players and players nobody else seemed to want around that time - Kenny Burns, Mick Coop, Mike Brolly, John Richards, John Robertson, Archie and so on. Not all at the same time but we seemed to be the club of last resort. The stench of decay was overpowering.

Someone please tell me it's not like that now.

I know some will shoot me down here, but I haven't enjoyed this season. That's the brutal truth of it. We're 5th and I haven't been excited all season.

With the exception of a few individual moments of brilliance from Vydra and a few Hollywood passes from Huddlestone this functional team doesn't do much to get you off your seat. In fact, in recent displays, we haven't even been functioning. 

I'll probably get the classic "some will never be happy" reply, but that's nonsense. I absolutely adored the 13/14 side, loved most of the 14/15 season and George Burley's team turned me from a boy who went to the football with his old man out of habit to a passionate Derby fan.

I often struggle with Rammage on Radio Derby, but to be fair to him, he had it spot on in 2013, around Christmas time, when he kept saying "something special is happening at Derby." It really felt like it. I thought Derby were going to be promoted and that Will Hughes was going to tear it up and play for England at the same time as Derby. I thought George Thorne would be on the plane to Russia with him. I wanted Jake Buxton's beard to never stop growing and I thought Bryson would be the first midfielder to score 100 goals in a season.

In other words, the most magical thing that can ever happen in football happened - I got carried away.

Being honest, even when we were 2nd, did this team ever make you feel that way this season?

22 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I absolutely adored the 13/14 side, loved most of the 14/15 season and George Burley's team turned me from a boy who went to the football with his old man out of habit to a passionate Derby fan.

I often struggle with Rammage on Radio Derby, but to be fair to him, he had it spot on in 2013, around Christmas time, when he kept saying "something special is happening at Derby." It really felt like it. I thought Derby were going to be promoted and that Will Hughes was going to tear it up and play for England at the same time as Derby. I thought George Thorne would be on the plane to Russia with him. I wanted Jake Buxton's beard to never stop growing and I thought Bryson would be the first midfielder to score 100 goals in a season.

In other words, the most magical thing that can ever happen in football happened - I got carried away.

Being honest, even when we were 2nd, did this team ever make you feel that way this season?

:wub:

This season, never.

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Nuts to that. The short term might cause even more damage.

You may be right and we won't know for a while but you must appreciate that the current annual losses aren't sustainable for ever. At some point we've either got to get promoted or scale back and accept that we're a mid table Champinship club and cut our cloth accordingly. The club has tried various approaches to achieve the former and I can't blame them for that.

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Do you think players will be falling over themselves to sign for Rowetts Derby or the fans will be packing the stadium?

Do you think either of those things will happen if we're playing scintillating football but losing every other game 4-3 and consistently finishing 8th?

I accept that the squad has become an expensive mess in the last 2-3 years, and an ageing one at that, but I believe we're going for results first in order to get promoted and give us the cash to properly sort everything out and that's why we've gone for the more experienced (older) players - as well as more pragmatic management in order to achieve it. IMO anyway.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

A) Do you think either of those things will happen if we're playing scintillating football but losing every other game 4-3 and consistently finishing 8th?

B) I accept that the squad has become an expensive mess in the last 2-3 years, and an ageing one at that, but I believe we're going for results first in order to get promoted and give us the cash to properly sort everything out and that's why we've gone for the more experienced (older) players - as well as more pragmatic management in order to achieve it. IMO anyway.

Why is point A more likely than point B to end in failure? Just because we've not played boring smash the balls into the channels football for a while (ever?).

Why if Rowett's plan is so good did we plummet from 2nd spot? 

1 hour ago, FunkyRam said:

But what with this older squad rubbish?the average age of players brought in comes to 27!

Hudd 30, Ledley 31, Davies 33 (easy player of the season) all very capable at this level as proven by the league table and have easily 2 more years to give.

And yes i disagree with everything you have to say on this fans forum.

Do you really think the right time to introduce youth is with 5 games to go battling for the playoffs?

We have the oldest average age of the whole football league. That is p1ss poor and not at all forward thinking. Keogh 30+ Jerome 30+ Nugent 30+ Baird 30+ Johnson 30+ as well as those you mention. I don't mind experience in key positions but this is ludicrous. 

No I don't but I never alluded to that. The right time would have been at the start of the season, which Rowett kind of pointed towards being the case when he was answering questions at the end of last season. So yeah if you're happy to watch these dour performances then good for you. Some of us want something to look forward to. Something to be proud of. 

Huddlestone or Ledley? yeah seems sensible. Both of them though? I'd beat them on the bleep test FFS. We get over ran in the middle of the park so often and it's only a lack of quality from the teams that play us that stop us being beaten. 

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

We have the oldest average age of the whole football league. .. Some of us want something to look forward to. Something to be proud of. 

Really? 

As for something to be proud of, I was so proud when the Sky match commo said Derby how would probably be at their best when they didn't have possession (or words to that effect). I miss being proud of our football.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Really? 

As for something to be proud of, I was so proud when the Sky match commo said Derby how would probably be at their best when they didn't have possession (or words to that effect). I miss being proud of our football.

Yeah. Not some sloggers in league 2 but one of the biggest teams in England's second division. 

21 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Do you think either of those things will happen if we're playing scintillating football but losing every other game 4-3 and consistently finishing 8th?

You seem to have a pretty warped view of the effectiveness of the 13/14/15 seasons. Results got pretty wild in the later stages after our squad had completely been torn apart by injuries. Before then, we were pretty bang on for promotion, setting defensive records with entertaining performances. Even at Wembley, the result didn't go our way but we sure as hell showed up. 

I'm not sure why that system has been classified as a failure. It worked unbelievably well and packed the stadium. Rowett has spent significantly more, and had no where near the injury troubles to account for our slide.

32 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why is point A more likely than point B to end in failure? Just because we've not played boring smash the balls into the channels football for a while (ever?).

More likely in the way that it's already happened in our recent history (2013-15). We don't know the outcome of Rowettball yet.

Why if Rowett's plan is so good did we plummet from 2nd spot? 

We stopped being clinical with our chances. Winall injury. Letting Russell go & Lookman's last minute change of mind. Thorne & Forsyth going backwards. Bad luck. Gypsy curse. Venus rising in Uranus. Take your pick.

Where have I said that Rowett's football plan is better? All I've said is I can understand why we're following it.

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Some folk will be gutted if we manage to get in the playoffs and somehow win them.

Pure garbage !! Who exactly? A limp defence of criticisms of the manager. What exactly is your evidence for this??? It's just your brain trying to rationalise criticism in terms of bogus theories about Derby fans who supposedly now hate Derby. Speak for yourself not others.

2 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

You seem to have a pretty warped view of the effectiveness of the 13/14/15 seasons. Results got pretty wild in the later stages after our squad had completely been torn apart by injuries. Before then, we were pretty bang on for promotion, setting defensive records with entertaining performances. Even at Wembley, the result didn't go our way but we sure as hell showed up. 

I'm not sure why that system has been classified as a failure. It worked unbelievably well and packed the stadium. Rowett has spent significantly more, and had no where near the injury troubles to account for our slide.

Erm...it worked until it didn't and then we failed. Twice.

3 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

those were the days when we could turn up on a saturday and be sure we would be supporting a side with talent and pride now unfortunately instead of being a talented well respected team we have become a rich mans plaything. whilst im on my soap box can anybody offer any suggestions to why you would sub your leading goalscorer for a central defender???????

Because Vydra was a complete passenger last night.

His contribution to the game was three 5 yard passes.

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

I know some will shoot me down here, but I haven't enjoyed this season. That's the brutal truth of it. We're 5th and I haven't been excited all season.

With the exception of a few individual moments of brilliance from Vydra and a few Hollywood passes from Huddlestone this functional team doesn't do much to get you off your seat. In fact, in recent displays, we haven't even been functioning. 

I'll probably get the classic "some will never be happy" reply, but that's nonsense. I absolutely adored the 13/14 side, loved most of the 14/15 season and George Burley's team turned me from a boy who went to the football with his old man out of habit to a passionate Derby fan.

A sad and desperately true summation of what it's been like to be a Derby fan for the last few years. After Wembley, I really thought we were going places. Now, it's like watching us slowly going backwards, despite the deceptive points total. 

Can't see Mel stepping in to do something about it either.

21 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Where have I said that Rowett's football plan is better? All I've said is I can understand why we're following it.

I can understand why we're following it - it's the way Rowett plays. Doesn't mean we have to stick with him though does it.

Archived