Players attitude

Seaside Ram

My question is this .... After such a limp effort , do you really think most of that squad WANT Derby County to get to the Premier league ? I for one think 80% of those players know they are not good enough to play in the PL . So why bust a gut to get promotion if all it will achieve for themselves is to be dropped to the ressies or shown the door . Whereas if we just miss out , most of them will be here next year for another go at it ? It must cross their minds .?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. It benefits their career, they will make more money in bonuses, and have more chances of getting contracts in the future. Why would they risk having a failure on their CV because they might not play next year? It isn't about lack of effort, it's about the management of the players.

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yes. It benefits their career, they will make more money in bonuses, and have more chances of getting contracts in the future. Why would they risk having a failure on their CV because they might not play next year? It isn't about lack of effort, it's about the management of the players.

Well if that wasn't a lack of effort what the hell would it take to accuse them of it ???

Just now, Seaside Ram said:

Well if that wasn't a lack of effort what the hell would it take to accuse them of it ???

How is them being organised poorly, and them not having a shape or a game plan down to the playoffs? Tell me, what player did put the effort in? I saw all the players putting effort in.

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

My betting is that many of them are on their last contracts, or at least their last decent contracts.

We have a lot of players on the downward curve of their careers. Their CVs won't suffer.

Was it attitude?

We were set up to let Wolves come onto us. To commit and then for us to break.

We do it all the time. 

But they scored and then they didn't have to commit. They enjoyed the freedom of their half of the pitch. They'd venture into ours but when we chased them they'd retreat and start again.

We however didn't plan on them scoring. It seems some of our opponents don't read their lines and start improvising the whole play.

So there we were. Waiting to counter attack a team that wasn't arsed about attacking. Going into their half wasn't the plan and We have been pretty poor at opening a closed book all season. If we have to build attacks from the back and go through the pitch while our opponent has their lines set up then we are certainly not top 6 quality. 

Whenever we go 1-0 down i find it hard to believe we can come back. We're a reactive team. We lay traps. Only works when we're being hunted. 

If we switch off or they get lucky then all our traps are wasted and we're hunting with a wooden spoon in dark

12 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

My question is this .... After such a limp effort , do you really think most of that squad WANT Derby County to get to the Premier league ? I for one think 80% of those players know they are not good enough to play in the PL . So why bust a gut to get promotion if all it will achieve for themselves is to be dropped to the ressies or shown the door . Whereas if we just miss out , most of them will be here next year for another go at it ? It must cross their minds .?

Don't really need to be concerned about that side reaching the PL. I suspect even players, certainly after tonight, realise that they are fortunate to still be in the top 6. That status could well change over the next couple of weeks....

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

How is them being organised poorly, and them not having a shape or a game plan down to the playoffs? Tell me, what player did put the effort in? I saw all the players putting effort in.

Did you really ? Well you must have a lot lower expectations than i have for what i should mean to people to wear the shirt of Derby County FC !

Just now, Seaside Ram said:

Did you really ? Well you must have a lot lower expectations than i have for what i should mean to people to wear the shirt of Derby County FC !

So tell me, what is the point in a manager? If it's ALL about the players, why don't all clubs just save the wages? Could it be, that managers are a huge part of how teams play. Am I imagining things when I say, when we sacked Clough and hired McClaren we stormed up the table and went all the way to Wembley?

Just now, Andicis said:

So tell me, what is the point in a manager? If it's ALL about the players, why don't all clubs just save the wages? Could it be, that managers are a huge part of how teams play. Am I imagining things when I say, when we sacked Clough and hired McClaren we stormed up the table and went all the way to Wembley?

Oh sorry i should have included GR in my original post , Yes i agree he is to blame also, i am far from convinced he is the answer. He gets my anger equally along with those limp excuses for DCFC players ! 

9 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I see some are resorting to blaming the entire team for another limp performance...

Just what do we employ a manager for, if it's not to motivate,organise, choose tactics and decide who actually starts and plays in the game?

This is on rowett,not the lads.

Scarily, I agree with you.. Or at least partly. He just never seems willing to change his tactics to suit the opposition. Wolves were clearly happy just to attack whenever they wanted and not fall into our "traps" as people call them. Of course they are miles ahead of us when it comes to quality due to the players and resources that they have available to them, but that isn't an excuse for us to play without any real desire.

It seems to me that motivation is the issue with the squad, I mean you look at players like Palmer, imagine what he must feel wanting to express himself and make something happen all the time. Yet our playing style nullifies any sort of flair players and their effectiveness bar Vydra. Because of this it feels like we are always the underdog against any of the teams in and around the play - offs.

On the other hand though, at times I have enjoyed watching us play, when it comes to the counter attacking style, it just seems that we have dropped off in our ability to do that now.

All the bad points said though, I am happy with where we are at the minute, progress has been made when you look at the league position, we are higher than what a fair few people on here predicted. So personally, I would stay with Rowett, he has time to learn and improve on tactics. If we were to change manager again, we would be in an even worse position than before... A crop of players that suit a variety of different styles, with an even smaller pot to piss in to be able to try anything else.

Sadly, the only reason I don’t want Rowett to go is because we have such a mess of a squad. I want him to finish his rebuild - give him a chance to show what he can do with his own squad ( let’s be honest - none of our recent managers would have aimed to have this team as their first choice 11).

At least this way, Rowett will either succeed or the next guy only has one managers team to rebuild.

11 hours ago, Igorwasking said:

Sadly, the only reason I don’t want Rowett to go is because we have such a mess of a squad. I want him to finish his rebuild - give him a chance to show what he can do with his own squad ( let’s be honest - none of our recent managers would have aimed to have this team as their first choice 11).

At least this way, Rowett will either succeed or the next guy only has one managers team to rebuild.

Seems to me Rowett will probably keep you in and around the top 10 in the championship, no risk of relegation, but probably no realistic chance of promotion. So it's a case of how fans feel about that. I have a hunch that the chairman might be OK with it for a few seasons at least, opting to keep the cheque book under lock and key. 

12 hours ago, Igorwasking said:

What rebuild? Only Lawrence is really a future player. The 'mess' of a squad hasn't been improved by Rowett.

Thought Nugent ran his socks off, but was isolated with poor quality service and quickly hustled off the ball by quality defending.

Andy W. again shouldn't be faulted for his work rate, but we played too deep and when he got the ball was more often than not in his own half and had no one to pass to,unless side ways.

Carson not at fault for either goals and made one of two good saves.

Lesley and Hudds ,both competent against wolves and could Grace most teams at this level, but neither were offensive in their passing or movement.

Baird, at fault for their first goal but has never passed a ball forward in his life.

Vydra just taken out of the game ,two or more players on him like a  flash, and we played too deep with Nugent out on his own with no outlet for Vydra to pass to.

It was uninspiring football ,but was it the way GR set the team up and asked them to play?

9 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Thought Nugent ran his socks off, but was isolated with poor quality service and quickly hustled off the ball by quality defending.

Andy W. again shouldn't be faulted for his work rate, but we played too deep and when he got the ball was more often than not in his own half and had no one to pass to,unless side ways.

Carson not at fault for either goals and made one of two good saves.

Lesley and Hudds ,both competent against wolves and could Grace most teams at this level, but neither were offensive in their passing or movement.

Baird, at fault for their first goal but has never passed a ball forward in his life.

Vydra just taken out of the game ,two or more players on him like a  flash, and we played too deep with Nugent out on his own with no outlet for Vydra to pass to.

It was uninspiring football ,but was it the way GR set the team up and asked them to play?

Some stuff I agree with but Baird never passed a ball forward in his life??? This season he has played some real cracking balls forward and his passing has been better than most of the rest of the team,will be surprised if many will say I’m wrong on that

Archived