Leeds: In a Nutshell

Ellafella

1.       Oh what an atmosphere; I love a party with a happy atmosphere. You have to hand it to Leeds, live on TV and the away end is a sell out. Great singing...and the Rams join in, trading insults about Messrs Revie and Clough, yet many of them were not born when Brian lacerated stuff-shirt “The Don” on live TV.

2.       The Derby side for me is the right one yet we lack quality up front; we need something more than Lawrence and Weimann in the wider areas; for me this would be swapping Lawrence for Palmer.

3.       Despite that we dominate; Ledley’s hod carrying to Huddlestone’s craftsmanship. Have you ever seen anything like Huddlestone; so big and seemingly cumbersome yet his turns are balletic and he pings the ball 45 yards this way and that on a sixpence. Things are just a little bit off target though; Nuge heads wide from 5 yards out and Huddlestone manages to dummy the cross when just a yard from goal.

4.       The Baird is sublime...poise, grace, great footballing brain, beautiful feet; why do his skills so often go unnoticed?  an “unfashionable” footballer just like Ron Webster. Weimann is benefitting from some great service from the Baird.

5.       Lawrence...oh dear; lots of possession and running. One day we’ll see an end-product allegedly. His shot "thuds" the bar from 20 yards and the sound echoes around the ground like a tree has just been felled. Bad luck Tom, it just isn't your year.

6.       ...and Leeds score. A goal right out of Gary Rowett’s manual. A 60 yard diagonal ball out wide-right and Derby’s defence is a wide expansive landscape; goodness me I’ve read so much criticism of Forsyth this week yet Olson is so easily left trailing; and where’s Davies? And Keogh? And Carson. A collective defensive tea-break and there’s a wall of no sound followed by the echo of a tumult as Leeds cacophonate.

7.       Oh NO! A mental pass from Hudd over the defence but Weimann flips it over the bar when clean through.  Makes amends though on the stroke of half-time when Leeds poor defending “heads” Weimann in and his rasping hard-low shot penetrates the goal.

8.       We have been good first half ...but Leeds have been gifted a goal yet we’re confident we can win it. I feel certain.

9.       2nd half is a bit less coherent. We win a dangerous free kick on the edge of their box after another great Vydra burst. Palmer steps up...and it’s in the back of the Derby net, as the ball is cleared and Olson (FFS!) is skates on ice, carson saves but the rebound is pinged in. 1-2...Leeds have read the “Rowett Act” and they have scored another classic “smash and grab”. 1-2 to the Leeds “Marching on Together” is at ear-splitting volume.

10.   Johnson, CamJam and Palmer are on; Palmer is a real force for me (a rich man’s Lawrence if you like) and should start soon. He duly toe-ends it in on 92. A 2-2 and a bloody good game. Fair result in the end but we may rue those missed chances early doors.

11.   Derby v Leeds...proper football match. Would the Prem give us many games like this? :mellow:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also agree with this (didn't see it until after I posted my diatribe). 

For all of the other games this season, I'd agree totally on your Baird comments but dunno.... 2nd half... he just looked so flat and got 'done' for pace where he'd usually position himself so well that he doesn't get exposed much. I genuinely rate him but he got to me last night - he looked 36...

I used to love Forsyth but he's been defensively shocking this season (more games may resolved that) and reading between the lines, Max Lowe has an attitude problem so we're stuck with Olly; for this season at least. FWIW, I don't think he's as bad as many are saying on here. He gets forward, gets involved so inevitably gets caught up in situations that he was, unfortunately, on the wrong side of a few times but at least he was dynamic.

Cracking report Ellafella. That was the game I watched as well. Frustrated in the end, gloomy that we didn't get the deserved win because football is a fickle lady but it was a great game to be at, a credit to both teams and sets of fans. 

I'm left with my moments 

1) Hudds not slipping it to Vydra or hitting the target in the first half. This from the man who was also playing sublime passes and showing the supreme composure throughout every other passage of play.

2) Ollson .. standing off his man so many times and by such a large distance. Why ? 

3) That beautiful gut busting run and precision cut back by Weimann, that my favourite player Nuge, should have hammered in to the net ( and on any other day would have )

4) Keogh continually walking a tightrope of risky choices in an attempt to keep momentum going. He didn't get caught but sometimes it was the thickness of his boot leather on a leg a full stretch that was just enough to nudge a ball to a white shirt - anything less and disaster could have struck. It didn't. He really is a Captain in the old school, best of ways.

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

1.       Oh what an atmosphere; I love a party with a happy atmosphere. You have to hand it to Leeds, live on TV and the away end is a sell out. Great singing...and the Rams join in, trading insults about Messrs Revie and Clough, yet many of them were not born when Brian lacerated stuff-shirt “The Don” on live TV.

2.       The Derby side for me is the right one yet we lack quality up front; we need something more than Lawrence and Weimann in the wider areas; for me this would be swapping Lawrence for Palmer.

3.       Despite that we dominate; Ledley’s hod carrying to Huddlestone’s craftsmanship. Have you ever seen anything like Huddlestone; so big and seemingly cumbersome yet his turns are balletic and he pings the ball 45 yards this way and that on a sixpence. Things are just a little bit off target though; Nuge heads wide from 5 yards out and Huddlestone manages to dummy the cross when just a yard from goal.

4.       The Baird is sublime...poise, grace, great footballing brain, beautiful feet; why do his skills so often go unnoticed?  an “unfashionable” footballer just like Ron Webster. Weimann is benefitting from some great service from the Baird.

5.       Lawrence...oh dear; lots of possession and running. One day we’ll see an end-product allegedly. His shot "thuds" the bar from 20 yards and the sound echoes around the ground like a tree has just been felled. Bad luck Tom, it just isn't your year.

6.       ...and Leeds score. A goal right out of Gary Rowett’s manual. A 60 yard diagonal ball out wide-right and Derby’s defence is a wide expansive landscape; goodness me I’ve read so much criticism of Forsyth this week yet Olson is so easily left trailing; and where’s Davies? And Keogh? And Carson. A collective defensive tea-break and there’s a wall of no sound followed by the echo of a tumult as Leeds cacophonate.

7.       Oh NO! A mental pass from Hudd over the defence but Weimann flips it over the bar when clean through.  Makes amends though on the stroke of half-time when Leeds poor defending “heads” Weimann in and his rasping hard-low shot penetrates the goal.

8.       We have been good first half ...but Leeds have been gifted a goal yet we’re confident we can win it. I feel certain.

9.       2nd half is a bit less coherent. We win a dangerous free kick on the edge of their box after another great Vydra burst. Palmer steps up...and it’s in the back of the Derby net, as the ball is cleared and Olson (FFS!) is skates on ice, carson saves but the rebound is pinged in. 1-2...Leeds have read the “Rowett Act” and they have scored another classic “smash and grab”. 1-2 to the Leeds “Marching on Together” is at ear-splitting volume.

10.   Johnson, CamJam and Palmer are on; Palmer is a real force for me (a rich man’s Lawrence if you like) and should start soon. He duly toe-ends it in on 92. A 2-2 and a bloody good game. Fair result in the end but we may rue those missed chances early doors.

11.   Derby v Leeds...proper football match. Would the Prem give us many games like this? :mellow:

Very good, well thought out review. Think you are being a little kind to the keeper and CB’s regards culpability for both goals. Olsen indeed had chance to snuff out danger in the first instance. However Carson didn’t cover himself in his usual glory thereafter. He should have come out for the first and parried wide for the second. The appraisal of the Leeds fans and our attacking prowess is spot on. I would however leave Lawrence on and Palmer as well as, rather than instead of  Not sure if he could be used as a central striker or if not push Weimann there, after all that is his preferred position and have Palmer out wide. We do look a little toothless with Nugent/ Jerome at the moment 

1 hour ago, jono said:

Cracking report Ellafella. That was the game I watched as well. Frustrated in the end, gloomy that we didn't get the deserved win because football is a fickle lady but it was a great game to be at, a credit to both teams and sets of fans. 

I'm left with my moments 

1) Hudds not slipping it to Vydra or hitting the target in the first half. This from the man who was also playing sublime passes and showing the supreme composure throughout every other passage of play.

2) Ollson .. standing off his man so many times and by such a large distance. Why ? 

3) That beautiful gut busting run and precision cut back by Weimann, that my favourite player Nuge, should have hammered in to the net ( and on any other day would have )

4) Keogh continually walking a tightrope of risky choices in an attempt to keep momentum going. He didn't get caught but sometimes it was the thickness of his boot leather on a leg a full stretch that was just enough to nudge a ball to a white shirt - anything less and disaster could have struck. It didn't. He really is a Captain in the old school, best of ways.

Jono, you are a gent Sir. Spot on with that great Weimann cut back {class from Weimann} that Nugent would normally have slam-dunked, correct also about Kaptain Keogh and his "Scott of the Antarctic" raids..{heroic but potentially fatal}. I fail to understand how Olson gets to play full-back when you can constantly park a Chieftain tank between him and the chap he should be marking. Anymore and I will actually drive a tank onto the pitch* and park it just to make the point. 

* any army chaps out there with a spare Chieftain tank please DM me. :mellow:

image.thumb.png.c45ed0cc4175d088322e1d4daac9d018.png

1 hour ago, RaichCarter said:

Also agree with this (didn't see it until after I posted my diatribe). 

For all of the other games this season, I'd agree totally on your Baird comments but dunno.... 2nd half... he just looked so flat and got 'done' for pace where he'd usually position himself so well that he doesn't get exposed much. I genuinely rate him but he got to me last night - he looked 36...

I used to love Forsyth but he's been defensively shocking this season (more games may resolved that) and reading between the lines, Max Lowe has an attitude problem so we're stuck with Olly; for this season at least. FWIW, I don't think he's as bad as many are saying on here. He gets forward, gets involved so inevitably gets caught up in situations that he was, unfortunately, on the wrong side of a few times but at least he was dynamic.

I too felt that the Leeds flow second half mainly came down that left hand side and I rued that Wisdom wasn't there to show his strength - thereby 'discouraging' further forays! 

However, I have to disagree about Fozzy who has been fine defensively and was part of the magnificent run of clean sheets. His distribution and attacking hasn't been so good but defence - don't get it.

And where on earth do you get Max Lowe and attitude problems from? Evidence please, unless you're just making it up? 

15 minutes ago, angieram said:

I too felt that the Leeds flow second half mainly came down that left hand side and I rued that Wisdom wasn't there to show his strength - thereby 'discouraging' further forays! 

However, I have to disagree about Fozzy who has been fine defensively and was part of the magnificent run of clean sheets. His distribution and attacking hasn't been so good but defence - don't get it.

And where on earth do you get Max Lowe and attitude problems from? Evidence please, unless you're just making it up? 

I agree. He's my first choice. Nobody bullies him defensively.

Max Lowe is also very good and has verve; physically perhaps not as robust as he needs to be...how's he been doing on loan??*

Edit: http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=72725&season_id=150

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Fozzy gets beaten so much it's terrifying. Watch highlights of any of his games and see how often he gets beaten when one-on-one. Don't get me wrong, I rate him but he's lost a yard - hope he gets it back.

Max Lowe - chill out - I should have said 'imo' though perhaps. If you go back through GR RamsTV, he talks, a few times, about having to play Fozzy because other options, that he thought were available, were not. He then went on to talk about young players not being robust, etc. I can't remember which video - pre-Xmas / Nov I think but it was something that I'm not the only one to notice - a few blokes down the pub were on about it too. It was veiled but it was there. And he never played again for us despite being fit. We know GR doesn't really fancy Olly (played Fozzy when clearly not ready for first team football and Olly on his final year and not offered a new contract iirc) and we're clearly lacking in LB position so why would you let a promising youngster sit on the bench elsewhere if there isn't a problem...?

Max looks a proper player to me so it's a shame. If it's true of course.

But if you prefer to think I made it up, for reasons I know not, then crack on me duck. It was my interpretation of an interview - that's all.

Nice one Ellafella, 

Graham Richards would be proud of that overview. Crackin effort. 

Sadly, I had a mare watching the game last night from Sicily as I'd left my blinkin laptop charger at work. Leeds scored their first then my laptop was out for the count as if it'd had a smack on its dirty screen from Archie Gemmil. 

What I found really encouraging for the first half hour was our nitty grittiness in midfield and from the likes of Vydra tracking back. Thought we showed a lot of desire. Liked our intensity. But if anything I thought Vydra tracked back too often. We need our most potent attacking player further up the pitch. 

Also, he gets an awful lot of stick, but I thought that Lawrence's set pieces and overall crossing was Asanovicesque at times. That certainly bodes well. 

Followed the commentary on various forums then after, and oh boy aren't many of our mighty flock baring the scars of recent seasons. I know I am too, but the moment that second went in, very few believed we'd stage a come back, including myself. If that lack of belief transmits to the players then..they may as well click their heals three times and shoot off to see Johnny in Kansas. 

I was

1) Relieved we managed to scrape an equaliser

2) Frustrated at yet another draw

3) A little disappointed that the Immy Saviile chant came out (no place for that in football)

4) in reluctant admiration of the Leeds supporters. I know it's easier when you're part of a large away following to make a lot of noise and their songs are pretty dull but, they were loud and pretty much kept it going

5) Bemused and happy that they didn't have the players that came on as substitutes in their starting 11. 

6) Thoroughly entertained. 

Archived