Leeds: In a Nutshell

Ellafella

25 minutes ago, Manicsheepreacher said:

Also, he gets an awful lot of stick, but I thought that Lawrence's set pieces and overall crossing was Asanovicesque at times. That certainly bodes well. 

:o That is very high praise. Ace was on another level for me - TL isn't fit to lace his boots. I'm not saying TL is crap, just nowhere near the flair or creativity of Ace. Let alone the strength or sheer lunacy... mardyness?.. hmm.... similarities there.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, RaichCarter said:

:o That is very high praise. Ace was on another level for me - TL isn't fit to lace his boots. I'm not saying TL is crap, just nowhere near the flair or creativity of Ace. Let alone the strength or sheer lunacy... mardyness?.. hmm.... similarities there.

I completely agree, Ace is my favourite all time Derby player. Was probably going a bit overboard on my praise there, my praise was just based on the crossing alone : ) 

I'm so unbelievably blinkered in my devotion to my favourite players that not even Maradonna could lace Asanovic's boots. 

The finest performance I've ever seen in person at a game btw...was Asanovic against West Ham during the 96/97 season. It simply was Ace vs The Hammers. One of only a handful of 10/10 performances I've ever seen. I'm sure you remember it very very well, it was a one man show, The BBG was the stage and that Croat was our Hamlet. Majestic stuff. 

3 minutes ago, Manicsheepreacher said:

I completely agree, Ace is my favourite all time Derby player. Was probably going a bit overboard on my praise there, my praise was just based on the crossing alone : ) 

I'm so unbelievably blinkered in my devotion to my favourite players that not even Maradonna could lace Asanovic's boots. 

The finest performance I've ever seen in person at a game btw...was Asanovic against West Ham during the 96/97 season. It simply was Ace vs The Hammers. One of only a handful of 10/10 performances I've ever seen. I'm sure you remember it very very well, it was a one man show, The BBG was the stage and that Croat was our Hamlet. Majestic stuff. 

I didn't see the game, before my time in Derby but I really enjoyed reading that last paragraph.  Sporting memories of that sort remain with you always. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, RaichCarter said:

Fozzy gets beaten so much it's terrifying. Watch highlights of any of his games and see how often he gets beaten when one-on-one. Don't get me wrong, I rate him but he's lost a yard - hope he gets it back.

Max Lowe - chill out - I should have said 'imo' though perhaps. If you go back through GR RamsTV, he talks, a few times, about having to play Fozzy because other options, that he thought were available, were not. He then went on to talk about young players not being robust, etc. I can't remember which video - pre-Xmas / Nov I think but it was something that I'm not the only one to notice - a few blokes down the pub were on about it too. It was veiled but it was there. And he never played again for us despite being fit. We know GR doesn't really fancy Olly (played Fozzy when clearly not ready for first team football and Olly on his final year and not offered a new contract iirc) and we're clearly lacking in LB position so why would you let a promising youngster sit on the bench elsewhere if there isn't a problem...?

Max looks a proper player to me so it's a shame. If it's true of course.

But if you prefer to think I made it up, for reasons I know not, then crack on me duck. It was my interpretation of an interview - that's all.

Never heard Rowett say that about other options, to be honest.

I do watch under 23s regularly though and hadn't seen a fully match-fit Lowe this season until just before he went out on loan. And he isn't always on the bench there - he played full 90 on Tuesday night. 

Good young footballer but still to prove his robustness for regular first team football.  I think a loan rather than our first team is the place to do it. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

I didn't see the game, before my time in Derby but I really enjoyed reading that last paragraph.  Sporting memories of that sort remain with you always. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

My absolute pleasure, that's very kind of you. 

Was on the day of my 15th birthday, and as I'm typing these words I can hear them narrated by Morgan Freeman  : - ) 

Asanovic is the stuff of legend now, in the current transfer market he'd go for the fee of 8 Tom Lawrences. 

4 hours ago, Manicsheepreacher said:

Nice one Ellafella, 

Graham Richards would be proud of that overview. Crackin effort. 

Sadly, I had a mare watching the game last night from Sicily as I'd left my blinkin laptop charger at work. Leeds scored their first then my laptop was out for the count as if it'd had a smack on its dirty screen from Archie Gemmil. 

What I found really encouraging for the first half hour was our nitty grittiness in midfield and from the likes of Vydra tracking back. Thought we showed a lot of desire. Liked our intensity. But if anything I thought Vydra tracked back too often. We need our most potent attacking player further up the pitch. 

Also, he gets an awful lot of stick, but I thought that Lawrence's set pieces and overall crossing was Asanovicesque at times. That certainly bodes well. 

Followed the commentary on various forums then after, and oh boy aren't many of our mighty flock baring the scars of recent seasons. I know I am too, but the moment that second went in, very few believed we'd stage a come back, including myself. If that lack of belief transmits to the players then..they may as well click their heals three times and shoot off to see Johnny in Kansas. 

Many thanks @Manicsheepreacher, for your kind words, Sir. Sorry to hear you had a mare "watching" in Sicilly. You missed a crackin' game. Good to think that TL can look like Ace...let's hope so. 

21 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Many thanks @Manicsheepreacher, for your kind words, Sir. Sorry to hear you had a mare "watching" in Sicilly. You missed a crackin' game. Good to think that TL can look like Ace...let's hope so. 

My pleasure Ellafella, I'm sure I probably make a few feel a bit squeamish when I take to dishing out the praise where it's duly deserved. But it's how I roll. Over the years I've been accused of being podcast Joel's mum, and Richard the lionheart Keogh himself. Keep up the excellent work sir! 

9 hours ago, jono said:

Cracking report Ellafella. That was the game I watched as well. Frustrated in the end, gloomy that we didn't get the deserved win because football is a fickle lady but it was a great game to be at, a credit to both teams and sets of fans. 

I'm left with my moments 

1) Hudds not slipping it to Vydra or hitting the target in the first half. This from the man who was also playing sublime passes and showing the supreme composure throughout every other passage of play.

2) Ollson .. standing off his man so many times and by such a large distance. Why ? 

3) That beautiful gut busting run and precision cut back by Weimann, that my favourite player Nuge, should have hammered in to the net ( and on any other day would have )

4) Keogh continually walking a tightrope of risky choices in an attempt to keep momentum going. He didn't get caught but sometimes it was the thickness of his boot leather on a leg a full stretch that was just enough to nudge a ball to a white shirt - anything less and disaster could have struck. It didn't. He really is a Captain in the old school, best of ways.

3) That beautiful gut busting run and precision cut back by Weimann, that my favourite player Nuge, should have controlled and hammered in to the net ( and on any other day would have ) or squared it to another player for an easy finish

16 hours ago, Manicsheepreacher said:

I'm with ya all the way. Ace is, warts arnorl, my favourite player. The fact he stropped so much was part of the allure. When he fancied it, he was untouchable. I remember him regularly stomping the ground when DPFG wouldn't pass him the ball - just so funny. He'd be looking at the bench remonstrating about how **** everyone was. Compared to him, they were to be fair.

I remember his first game - against Sparta Rotterdam, pre-season friendly iirc. He was ushering the ball out for a goal kick under a very small amount of pressure from their forward (god knows what Ace was doing in our box) and he elbowed the guy behind him straight in the face for pretty much no reason at all. A good start.

Kinkladze was a cheap imposter - I just could not get on board with that guy. Bags of talent but a waster - he was fat and just here for a pay day. And too many people said he was the new Ace and I can't have that I'm afraid!

Dembele at Spurs reminds me of Ace in terms of being able to just push players off him whilst running with the ball. Uncanny ability. And I don't think I've ever seen a more confident penalty taker. The bloke was class. 

All the young 'uns on here are rolling their eyes about past heroes like I did when old boys go on about Hector, etc (before my time) - the circle of life and all that eh!

Archived