Steve McClaren quits Tel Aviv/Sheff Wed next manager?

Day

3 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Have you Ignored the second time around at Twente. The sins at Wolfsburg and Forest, Oh and the Newcastle tenure on purpose? :)

No, but each have been blown out of proportion. Twente second time around he was what? Midtable? Wolfsburg, the same? He took a poor Newcastle side down. Looks like Rafa Benitez might be doing the same.

And Forest, where he was given the boot after 9 games? Quite hard to make an impact on a side when you've just taken over from Billy Davies. Hardly a team built to play his style of football.

There is no doubt he could have done better at each job. He could have done better for England too, finishing behind both Croatia and Russia who incidentally both went on to make at least the quarter-finals at Euro 2008.

People exaggerate a lot of his failures because they don't like him. I've already read some of the posts on the Sheff Wed board and a lot don't have a clue. It was the same here too. People don't like him, they want him to fail before he's even come through the door and if he goes on to do well, you still get people like @curtains who criticise him because they will never admit they were wrong about him.

McClaren is an excellent coach. You don't get the Derby team playing as they did if you aren't. He needs help in other areas perhaps such as recruitment, but if you have all that in place and are in need of a coach, he is an excellent option for a team in the Championship and Sheff Wed have decent footballers there. It's a good match.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Fear not, Wednesday won’t be direct competition this season and next season we’ll be in a different league. :thumbsup:

11pts is catchable, always one club that makes a late run for the play offs.

23 minutes ago, cannable said:

The second time around he took over a mess of a squad and organised it to the extent we went from third bottom to fifth...

His mistake was trying to change too much in January.

And how much of a mess were we that season in the away games at Leeds and Brighton ? 

Don't think he sorted the squad out he papered over the cracks. I' not saying I didn' enjoy some of the football because I did but in my eyes it was never permanent with Mac. 

6 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Ex manager going to Swansea? Getting in Mclaren to try and save them?? Why do they keep trying to be us, it doesn't work!

They'll start singing Silver Lining next...

You forgot, they keep nicking our chants then getting all huffy that Wednesday fans invented every football chant ever. Even the ones shef utd sing at them.

8 minutes ago, David said:

11pts is catchable, always one club that makes a late run for the play offs.

Hey, that means we can catch Wolves, I like it. 

Even with the new manager effect I can’t see Wednesday making the play offs. It’ll be interesting to see who he takes with him as his coaching staff though and if he starts his first press conference with “This is a massive club, as soon as I heard there was interest it was a no brainier for me” I will track him down and custard pie him. :D

20 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

And how much of a mess were we that season in the away games at Leeds and Brighton ? 

Don't think he sorted the squad out he papered over the cracks. I' not saying I didn' enjoy some of the football because I did but in my eyes it was never permanent with Mac. 

Any worse than Bristol City, Sheff Utd and reading this season? 

5 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Would've preferred him staying than Rowett. Still like Rowett a lot however. 

Time will tell but get the feeling Rowett is quite capable of taking us up - McClaren, for various reasons, didn't. SM should never gave been given the job second time around.

Archived