Goalkeeper’s distribution

richinspain

3 hours ago, cosmic said:

Commenting on a goalie’s distribution is such a lazy criticism. Think I’ve heard it said for every keeper we’ve ever had. 

Spot on, sir.

Also for:

Inability to defend set pieces and score from our own.

Blaming one player for the entire team's failings.

Corners not beating the first man.

Taking short corners occasionally.

Passing sideways rather than forward.

Not enough pace.

Keogh's fault.

And (especially from managers) - "lacking quality" - which is shorthand for not being good enough which is the manager's responsibility to do something about. This somehow manages to externalise a problem that is the manager's fault ultimately.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Yeah, I remember him being incredibly slow and inaccurate releasing Ince through against Birmingham.

Won us three points with his distribution.

1 good goal kick out of how many!

Jesus, that's like saying 1 assist or 1 goal makes a winger or a striker!

38 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Just one example.

Next time try to compare him to opponent's number one and you'll see Carson is not that bad. Vice versa.

4 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Just one example.

Next time try to compare him to opponent's number one and you'll see Carson is not that bad. Vice versa.

I wouldn't swap him for another Champ keeper, shot stopping, communication are excellent, he's consistent, pretty good at controlling the box and coming out for crosses but his kicking is generally poor. I'm sure Kevin Poole is working on improving it but not a lot is coming through. Tom Huddlestone should go and show him how you drive a quick pass ten feet off the ground.

5 hours ago, rammieib said:

It was a free kick which Carson took which was on the money, and like another poster has said his distribution is very good at this level, I know watching from the stands it looks easy to put the ball to other players feet at break neck speed, but in reality it is a very hard skill, you hear people shout in the east stand faster, put it to the wing , your to slow Carson, it looks so easy to them, but believe me it's not, but these so called experts have never played the game, it's not bloody Fifa on the PlayStation you know, Lol. Rant over.

3 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

It was a free kick which Carson took which was on the money, and like another poster has said his distribution is very good at this level, I know watching from the stands it looks easy to put the ball to other players feet at break neck speed, but in reality it is a very hard skill, you hear people shout in the east stand faster, put it to the wing , your to slow Carson, it looks so easy to them, but believe me it's not, but these so called experts have never played the game, it's not bloody Fifa on the PlayStation you know, Lol. Rant over.

True that. It's football manager.

Do the stats actually even include thrown passes? It''s as easy for a keeper to boost his successful pass ratio as it is for a defender when they're just passing it between themselves 70 times per match, playing the safe ball.

For me Carson is the best (GK) distributor of the ball that I've seen at Derby in the last 20 years, that doesn't mean it's right every time it just means that I can appreciate what he was trying to do. Grant was good with short throws but when kicking he was heavily reliant on that one long passs to Forsyth coming off, he didn't really take many risks and the way we were playing at the time meant that he didn't NEED to look at a counter-attacking option, so his remit wasn't the same.

Sometimes Carson tries to play passes that you would expect a player like Huddlestone/Thorne to play, but when one of them doesn't come off you immediately get the "what the **** was that Carson?" shouts. He's a goalkeeper, there's a reason he's not an outfield player and yet there are some people who seem to expect him to be as creative as one! You should appreciate that he sees these things rather than criticise him at the times when his execution fails.

It's very rare that I see Carson looked panicked yet whenever he plays a 'flat' ball the crowd themselves panic because they think it's going to be cut out, even though a lot of the time it's actually been weighted so well (as close as anyone but the top few other GKs can) that he knows the ball will reach his target no matter whether the opposition come within inches of cutting it out. Sometimes it's overhit but it's very rarely underhit. Again though, even a player witrh great ranged passing like Huddlestone play some outright bloody lousy balls!

I also don't think I've seen many other keepers who seem so safe in the knowledge that a shot is going wide/over that they are comfortable standing and watching it go past the post and making no effort to save it. He seems to have that down to a fine art.

38 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Carson’s distribution is at best average but what I see it is very slow weather it is by hand or foot, ( I did actually see him do it quickly at Birmingham last season where Ince did score )

Can't agree with average at best. It's average (on average, for a keeper!) at worst. At best it's better than anyone else at this level as evidenced by that exact ball you mentioned. Nearly all other keepers at this level and a few above would never even see that ball as an option let alone be good/quick enough to play it.

A lot of people are guilty of seeing that someone up top has made a run, but they aren't really judging whether ot not it was a good run, well timed, whether it was worth playing the ball to them or not - against Burton I saw Carson pick up the ball and run to the edge of his box a couple of times, I saw Weimann making a run towards 3 opposition players and Carson making the decision not play it - both times it was met with people criticising Carson for 'not seeing the pass' or 'being too slow' when really Weimann had made a run into a place where it would take a level of accuracy belonging to David Beckham stood at a dead ball to be successful.

41 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Can't agree with average at best. It's average (on average, for a keeper!) at worst. At best it's better than anyone else at this level as evidenced by that exact ball you mentioned. Nearly all other keepers at this level and a few above would never even see that ball as an option let alone be good/quick enough to play it.

A lot of people are guilty of seeing that someone up top has made a run, but they aren't really judging whether ot not it was a good run, well timed, whether it was worth playing the ball to them or not - against Burton I saw Carson pick up the ball and run to the edge of his box a couple of times, I saw Weimann making a run towards 3 opposition players and Carson making the decision not play it - both times it was met with people criticising Carson for 'not seeing the pass' or 'being too slow' when really Weimann had made a run into a place where it would take a level of accuracy belonging to David Beckham stood at a dead ball to be successful.

To play devils advocate I also saw Carson pick up the ball from a corner and smash it to the right side of the pitch 25 yards away from the nearest person who was Baird. And Baird was the only Derby player on that side of the pitch.

Archived