London for next summer 2018.

DEL

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 09/11/2017 at 20:49, DEL said:

Any suggestions for decent restaurants to eat also cafes and bars too? 

Any suggestions for two people to must go and do them? Museums arts etc 

Before you ask and it's 4 days in London so put any suggestions and no silly comments. 

I expect you will be commenting@Angry Ram 

Many Thanks 

DEL

P.S transport won't be a problem anyway. ?

Just read the last line of your post. You do know its wrong to use an oyster card thats been tampered with to travel  on the tube ?

On 09/11/2017 at 20:49, DEL said:

Any suggestions for decent restaurants to eat also cafes and bars too? 

Any suggestions for two people to must go and do them? Museums arts etc 

Before you ask and it's 4 days in London so put any suggestions and no silly comments. 

I expect you will be commenting@Angry Ram 

Many Thanks 

DEL

P.S transport won't be a problem anyway. ?

4 days eh?

Day 1. Book a full day tour from Victoria Bus station, About £100 but you get picked up from your hotel, there'll be a top guide with you, entrance to the Tower of London with a Beefeater to show you round and a guided tour explaining all the history and stuff, boat ride down the Thames, Entrance and tour of St. Paul's Cathedral, again with guide and tour. Bus ride round the City, Southwark, West End and finishing with a cream tea at Harrods.Good value if don't know your way round the big smoke!

Day 2. Stroll from Trafalgar Square down the Mall to Buckingham Palace, have a mooch around St James Park then amble down Birdcage walk to Parliament Square. Shout abuse at Tory MP's then check out Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, across the bridge to the London Eye then back across the river to Embankment and back up to Trafalgar Square, Nelson's Column, National Gallery ticking off the Monopoly squares as you go.

Day 3. Start at Marble Arch, walk through Hyde park toward Kensington Palace then head towards The Royal Albert Hall and down to the Natural History and Science museums.

Day 4. Covent Garden, Soho, Oxford Street, Carnaby Street stopping at little corner boozers for a pint or two on the way.

Nearly as good as a pub crawl round Derby!

I've been on plenty of guided walks off here http://www.walks.com

They are about a tenner a go and amazing. The guides usually have an acting background so make it a bit of a show too. The ones around City of London are the best as more of the older buildings are round there. Jack the Ripper one is good too.

You should pop into National Gallery if you near Trafalgar Square. The first few rooms on the right contain paintings from some of the real big dogs Monet, Van Gogh, Turner etc.

Speaker's Corner by Marble Arch is really fascinating and you can walk up Edgware Road after for some amazing Lebanese cafes and takeaways.

Camden is great too with crowded markets and all sorts of weird sites and sounds. Lots of proper boozers there too and a brilliant street food area.

Farringdon is good for proper pubs too, either side of Smithfield market and loads of great old pubs in the City. Old Cheddar Cheese on Fleet Street doesn't seem to have changed since 17th century.

Comedy Store in Leicester Square is a good night out and often has comedians there just before they become famous. Ronnie Scott's in Soho is also great but depends who is playing and if you fancy seeing them.

Plus all the things everyone else has said too!

On 09/11/2017 at 23:18, sage said:

I love the War Museum, could spend all 4 days there. If the weather is nice Greenwich is good. The maritime museum, park and observatory. 

Don't go to the natural history museum if it's raining as you have to queue outside.

There are loads of restaurants in Leicester Square but be aware you often have to queue to get in the better ones.

The houses of parliament are well worth a visit and walk from Westminter to the Tower of London along the South Bank is great.

I've not been to War Museum or Churchill rooms. Which one should I go too first and which one is better to take 7 year olds too.

18 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I've not been to War Museum or Churchill rooms. Which one should I go too first and which one is better to take 7 year olds too.

I've not been to the Churchill rooms but from the website I would say the imperial war museum is better for children.

It's hard to imagine a better UK war museum than the imperial war museum.

12 minutes ago, sage said:

I've not been to the Churchill rooms but from the website I would say the imperial war museum is better for children.

It's hard to imagine a better UK war museum than the imperial war museum.

It certainly is better than the metric war museum. I much prefer all the old stuff.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

The War Museum, plenty of the displays will keep a 7 year old occupied. The first time I visited the museum I spent a full day there. I aways stay at the same hotel which is near the IWM and I'll drop into the museum if I have an hour or two to spare.

7 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I've been on plenty of guided walks off here http://www.walks.com

They are about a tenner a go and amazing. The guides usually have an acting background so make it a bit of a show too. The ones around City of London are the best as more of the older buildings are round there. Jack the Ripper one is good too.

You should pop into National Gallery if you near Trafalgar Square. The first few rooms on the right contain paintings from some of the real big dogs Monet, Van Gogh, Turner etc.

Speaker's Corner by Marble Arch is really fascinating and you can walk up Edgware Road after for some amazing Lebanese cafes and takeaways.

Camden is great too with crowded markets and all sorts of weird sites and sounds. Lots of proper boozers there too and a brilliant street food area.

Farringdon is good for proper pubs too, either side of Smithfield market and loads of great old pubs in the City. Old Cheddar Cheese on Fleet Street doesn't seem to have changed since 17th century.

Comedy Store in Leicester Square is a good night out and often has comedians there just before they become famous. Ronnie Scott's in Soho is also great but depends who is playing and if you fancy seeing them.

Plus all the things everyone else has said too!

Done a couple round the City area and agree they're really good. Tell you lots about the old guilds,  whose halls still abound. The mercers,  haberdashers,  cutlers etc.

The DELS might not be interested in history but if they ate, the old square mile is still fascinating. And you can do a great pub crawl. Lots of old school shepherd neame pubs in the city :thumbsup:

Have a great four days DEL, with all the hints it looks as if they will be very full days.

If you get the chance of a return trip to London, try to visit The V&A, another great museum that needs more than a day to see it all.

Archived