Do we really need to sign Sam Winnall?

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two questions

1. Has there been any suggestion from the club/management that he's here for the long term

2. Hypothetically if we were in a position to sign him but chose not to, who would you have instead? FFP means realistically we cannot sign anyone expensive 

For what its worth I'd sign him, even as a back up/long term replacement to nuge 

14 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

No....I don't see the point of him whilst we have the strikers we already have

I have no idea why we took him on loan in the first place....great player that he is....he's surplus and has just caused  unnecessary selection issues.

Bizarre decision.

His goals have got us 7 points so far. I've seen worse loans.

18 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I have no idea why we took him on loan in the first place....great player that he is....he's surplus and has just caused  unnecessary selection issues.

Bizarre decision.

He’s blocking my favourite whah whah whah.

l want Chrissy playing and also Bryson back whah whah whah.

l wish it was 2013/2014 whah whah whah.

...... and back on topic, no we don’t need to sign Sam Winnall as we have him on loan till season end which might be a good time to have a thread like this.

Just now, i-Ram said:

He’s blocking my favourite whah whah whah.

l want Chrissy playing and also Bryson back whah whah whah.

l wish it was 2013/2014 whah whah whah.

...... and back on topic, no we don’t need to sign Sam Winnall as we have him on loan till season end which might be a good time to have a thread like this.

Very grown up...sigh

However,in answer,he's not really blocking Martin,he's needlessly blocking all three intermittently....pointlessly so.

Now,I've heard if your put some sugar on that dummy it might be nice....coochy coo.

28 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

That's not my point really....we know he's good.

But all three of our current squad can do that if they are playing.

We needed midfield players in not strikers.

Can't really blame Rowett for swapping an underperforming midfielder with a proven goalscorer. 

We basically have two players fighting for the number 10 role and two for the main striker, nothing wrong with that. 

Ledley has improved the midfield, hopefully we'll see him and Thorne together soon. 

2 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

I don’t know the answer,depends on the way forward?

Don't know yet but 

1. Maybe as Bent replacement once Bent contract expires? 

2. Would he be able to be happy as a back up if we are in Premier League next season for example? 

He's OK but to me he's a 3rd choice striker tbh.

I’m happy he’s here. It’s the one area of the pitch we have a real genuine competition for places, each one experienced and capable of leading the line in the Championship.

Wasn’t long ago we were pretty much reliant on one striker.

If I had to choose today, I’d sign him if finances allow. Problem we have is the more he scores the bigger the fee, with Butterfield impressing there could be an option of no money changing hands. 

He’s here until May though, plenty of time to wait and see. January and the midfield is top of the list to deal with.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Bizarre decision.

If he is surplus (which I don't tend to agree on) it could all easily change in the next game if we pick up injuries to one or more forwards.

1 hour ago, europia said:

If he is surplus (which I don't tend to agree on) it could all easily change in the next game if we pick up injuries to one or more forwards.

I suppose there could be a freak yachting accident which takes out the other 3.....

How often have we had four active strikers on our hands in the past I wonder...and that's not including Russell who can also play the role and bent who is on the mend.

10 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I suppose there could be a freak yachting accident which takes out the other 3.....

How often have we had four active strikers on our hands in the past I wonder...and that's not including Russell who can also play the role and bent who is on the mend.

Look at the Reading game

Vydra and Bent injured.

Winnall, Nugent starting with Martin on the bench.

Weimann our only wide option who isn’t a wide man on the bench.

Take Winnall away as well you have had just one fit attacker on the bench. 

40 minutes ago, David said:

Look at the Reading game

Vydra and Bent injured.

Winnall, Nugent starting with Martin on the bench.

Weimann our only wide option who isn’t a wide man on the bench.

Take Winnall away as well you have had just one fit attacker on the bench. 

Anya ? Whilst I sort of understand your rationale, but what message does it send out to your u23 squad that you never really have a chance of breaking though to the first team.

When Bent is fit, we also have Martin, Russell, nugent, Winall, Vydra, Lawrence, Weimann, and Bennet, that’s 9 not including Anya, it’s only possible to make 3 subs a game, so even taking Reading, we have more than enough cover, not taking into account using U23s in exceptional circumstances like Reading.

Archived