Zak Brunt - Academy kid

Keepyuppy

12 hours ago, nottingram said:

Good that he’s decided his chances of becoming professional are higher at Matlock Town than if he’d backed down.

Not sure anyone comes out of this particularly well. Him and his father definitely the worst though.

All part of the dad's master plan

Matlock play in the seventh tier of English football. Chance to be in the shop window now. If anyone rates him they can still pay the 120k to DCFC.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, nottingram said:

Not sure anyone comes out of this particularly well. 

I shouldn't be surprised but the thing that has surprised me is the vitriol and nastiness from supposedly adult derby fans / posters directed towards a 15/16 year kid who lives locally just because he hasn't found our academy to be the right vehicle for his fledgling career

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

I shouldn't be surprised but the thing that has surprised me is the vitriol and nastiness from supposedly adult derby fans / posters directed towards a 15/16 year kid who lives locally just because he hasn't found our academy to be the right vehicle for his fledgling career

In fairness I don't think anyone is having a go at the kid, more at his Dad.

8 hours ago, Interestedparty said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/activatesp?lang=en

I believe this is the dads twitter

Looks like Zak has been training with Matlock academy since the summer and that back in the summer he also went to trial with Man Utd academy

Matlock Town or Man Utd?  Tough choice.  And there's some on here saying he's poorly advised.

4 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

I'd agree with this, totally unprofessional of him to go to the media like he has.

On 20 November 2017 at 13:09, PodgeyRam said:

These families are put under silly pressures by the system and by themselves.

imagine commuting a 9 year old to villa's academy? That must be on the limit of the 1 hour travel time.

the dad admitted he was over zealous in the early days. The dispute at villa was over claims for expenses and an incident with a coach. The move to man city went wrong due to bullying. The move to madrid made sense if option b is to play pro futsal. However that split the family up and was also alot of pressure for a kid no living abroad in a country where the language is different.The move to Derby looked sensible. He was playing futsal throughout his time at Derby, believing it was beneficial to develop his skills. Being selected for england ought really to be a cause for celebration. In the end i think the player became disillusioned with the training. At that point if both parties aren't happy then be realistic. I think them drawing attention to the compensation system is fair enough. They have accepted that some sort of recompense is reasonable if he succeeds elsewhere. can't see owt wrong with anything there tbh.

the disappointing thing for me is that if we rate him that highly, why we couldn't make it work.

I bet we couldn't cope with a 16 year old Charlie George.

our academy will probably produce a conveyor belt of what brian clough would call nice young men. Peter taylor recognised that sometimes you need the characters - the mavericks - and that they were worth the extra trouble. 

29 minutes ago, RamNut said:

These families are put under silly pressures by the system and by themselves.

imagine commuting a 9 year old to villa's academy? That must be on the limit of the 1 hour travel time.

the dad admitted he was over zealous in the early days. The dispute at villa was over claims for expenses and an incident with a coach. The move to man city went wrong due to bullying. The move to madrid made sense if option b is to play pro futsal. However that split the family up and was also alot of pressure for a kid no living abroad in a country where the language is different.The move to Derby looked sensible. He was playing futsal throughout his time at Derby, believing it was beneficial to develop his skills. Being selected for england ought really to be a cause for celebration. In the end i think the player became disillusioned with the training. At that point if both parties aren't happy then be realistic. I think them drawing attention to the compensation system is fair enough. They have accepted that some sort of recompense is reasonable if he succeeds elsewhere. can't see owt wrong with anything there tbh.

the disappointing thing for me is that if we rate him that highly, why we couldn't make it work.

I bet we couldn't cope with a 16 year old Charlie George.

our academy will probably produce a conveyor belt of what brian clough would call nice young men. Peter taylor recognised that sometimes you need the characters - the mavericks - and that they were worth the extra trouble. 

You've gone to some lengths previously in this thread to suggest he's a nice level headed kid, yet are suggesting here he's a maverick who's worth the extra trouble.

Can't have it both ways.

7 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

You've gone to some lengths previously in this thread to suggest he's a nice level headed kid, yet are suggesting here he's a maverick who's worth the extra trouble.

Can't have it both ways.

As for ZB I mean a maverick in the footballing sense. Full of tricks. A Duncan McKenzie perhaps. 

I don't know what he's like. The quotes were from others but they are a reasonable response to the 'spoilt brat' statements.

but what if we got a Charlie George? Could we cope with a proper full on Maverick with a capital M

if we can't accept a bit of futsal i don't know what we'd make of a gazza or someone like charlie who might quickly develop a loathing for coaches who can't play to his level.

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

As for ZB I mean a maverick in the footballing sense. Full of tricks. A Duncan McKenzie perhaps. 

I don't know what he's like. The quotes were from others but they are a reasonable response to the 'spoilt brat' statements.

but what if we got a Charlie George? Could we cope with a proper full on Maverick with a capital M

if we can't accept a bit of futsal i don't know what we'd make of a gazza or someone like charlie who might quickly develop a loathing for coaches who can't play to his level.

The game has moved on. For better or worse.

7 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Fair enough.

I get your concerns about the whole academy system, and as long as the Futsal didn't encroach on his training or playing time I'm also surprised it wasn't encouraged.

However, by signing the form his dad accepts that we wished to retain his services, and that compensation would be due if he were to sign for another professional club.

It's not a good system in my opinion, as others have pointed out surely that payment could be delayed until he signed his 1st professional contract, but we've done nothing wrong under the system as it stands.

4 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Fair enough.

I get your concerns about the whole academy system, and as long as the Futsal didn't encroach on his training or playing time I'm also surprised it wasn't encouraged.

However, by signing the form his dad accepts that we wished to retain his services, and that compensation would be due if he were to sign for another professional club.

It's not a good system in my opinion, as others have pointed out surely that payment could be delayed until he signed his 1st professional contract, but we've done nothing wrong under the system as it stands.

Surely when i player signs a contract with a club(any professional club not just Derby) They are contracted to play for that club which means they must get permission to play  for any team other than the team they are contracted to.And rightly so if it wasnt the case they could play for the local pub team wich would be stupid

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

I wouldn't call Charlie a Maverick,just a supremely gifted footballer.Now Stan Bowles,that might be a different kettle of fish.

The simple reason that in most cases the fee is waived is because in the vast majority of cases academy players never make the grade. Hence in most cases the club feels that it isn’t losing anything of value and writes off the investment.

Clearly when the club feels that the youngster might make it- and command a real transfer value in the future- then it will ask for compensation. Just good business sense.

At the end of the day we no longer have a story worth anyone complaining about by anybody now

Zak is now able to play non league for Matlock (if they think he is good enough) and pursue Futsal at the same time. Matlock have an academy he can no doubt train with assuming he can fit all of this in. Hopefully he finds time to pass some exams in amongst all of his football and Futsal ambitions as he may end up needing to get a proper job one day.

And the fact that Leicester paid nearly 1m for Vardy when he was playing non league shows that if Zak is good enough he will get bought by another club for 120k at some stage. Maybe more. But Derby will get that amount and Matlock any balance of that.

And in years to come if Zak becomes a superstar then his dad will be considered a genius and write a book about how he made it all happen. And other families can copy his approach.

He's already giving parents advice on what is wrong with the academy system despite the vast majority being happily part of it. It's his and Zak's chance to deliver now.

Be interesting to see where this leads

At the age Zak is - its comparatively easy to look out of this world at futsal as the vast majority of players who would be great at futsal are 100 per cent focussed on making a football career still and just use a small amount of futsal to improve their football skills by now. Most futsal will be behind them now.

ive no doubt he's very talented but it may well be he's more suited to futsal than he is football and hence why things have gone this way in the first place

10 minutes ago, Silentscream said:

Ramnut I’m trying to send you a message but without success, is your inbox full?

Hang on.....i'll adjust me settings

Archived