Just an old jacket ?

loweman2

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, mozza said:

All the best in your quest to you and your dad @loweman2 tell Charlie i still think he's the greatest when you meet him :D

Thanks Mozza, Charlie was a few weeks ago in the summer holidays, not a part of either Championship winning team but a legend in his own right, when we met him he was a complete star and loved the fact that we were from Derby and not part of the gooner collective that trailed around with us, in fact 80% of the tales that he told on the Emirates tour were Derby County related, I think the gooners wanted a refund !

he is as much of a class act now as he was on the pitch !

Jordo and Charlie.JPG

FullSizeRender(58).jpg

FullSizeRender(59).jpg

Really is crazy that nothing is on show at least somewhere in the city, even if just for a limited time.  If not the club then Derby Museum should really be showcasing this stuff as its about our only impact on pop culture in the past century. Anything is more relevant than that bloody taxidermy display. How hard can it be to make contact with players and the club, ask them if there was anything they would give or loan and then shuffle a few display cases around. Sure there are plenty of folk who'd do it off their own backs. We're fast approaching half a century since that first title. 

3 hours ago, loweman2 said:

no connection, these are my dads heroes from back in the day, since we lost my mum I have tried to spend more quality time with my dad and decided that this would be a good thing to do him and for me, we get to spend a day together driving to the destination and then spending a few hours with each player and that is priceless. 

I have a good connection with the players details, I write to them and ask them if they could spare a couple of hours to meet up privately with me and my Dad to chat about old times, the more I meet the more you get other contact details, once they know you are genuine fans and not just fishing for stories or trying to get things signed to sell on they really open up and I think that they actually enjoy it.

trying to work our way through all of the team, obviously for some its not possible, very soon they will become memories and I intend to be able to say that I got to know them in life.

We look back now and talk about what a legend Steve Bloomer was and sing songs about him.

These guys put Derby County on the map, the world map !

I feel and each of them feel that the club has forgotten about them Roy and Rodger obviously have set themselves up but the rest of them are forgotten men, soon they will not be here.

Some of the won not one but two championships, the only two championships in the history of our football club, surely they deserve more.

Alan Durban (420 games 110 goals) said he was sad that a museum has never been set up at the club, all of this stuff that they own will just be passed down to family who perhaps have no passion for Derby and will be auctioned off to the highest bidder and never see the light of day.

Jim Walker I am actively involved with Andy Ellis the clubs historian in trying to get the FA to present him with a winners medal, it was him that scored against Crystal Palace and that goal achieved the point that won us the league !

Colin Todd (293 games 6 goals) feels that the club have disowned him, he loves Derby County, I wrote to Mel Morris passing on Colin thoughts asking if there was room for him to play an more active role as an ambassador or such like but never got a reply despite going through his secretary so I know he read it.

Also have met up with John O'Hare (248 games 65 goals) and Alan Hinton (253 games 63 goals) and sat and had a few pints with them, been down to see Steve Powell a few times, he still works in the university Gym earning a living, he played 350 games and 20 goals for Derby between 1971 and 1985 and really saw the best of times and the worst of times and yet the club doesn't want to know him.

John McGovern (190 games 16 goals), he works for the gumps but still played a massive part in Derbys evolution he seems to accept he has no part to play at Derby.

Colin Boulton 1964 to 1976 272 games for Derby and an ever present in two championship winning sides.

Archie Gemmill 1970-77 320 games and 25 goals.

Frank Wignall 1969-71 45 games and 15 goals very funny man and only played a small part but still scored some vital goals in that season.

Roy macfarland 1967 - 81 440 games and 40 goals we all know about Roy.

kevin Hector 490 games and 150 goals, met him few years ago so not included him on the "tour" but if you are talking about legends then this is your man !, doesn't have anything to do with the club, doesn't even go to the Christmas get togethers as he feels that strongly.

had the pleasure of meeting Clough a few times and my dad had formed a friendship with him in the last few years of his life and often used to pop round for a cup of tea.

Dave mackay met him for a sit down and a coffee at what was the old baseball bar and grill at the ground around 8 years ago, he was another legend who didn't seem to get the recognition he deserved.

still working towards meeting terry hennessy when he comes over from Australia in a few weeks time.

so a bit of a long post but in a nutshell its to spend some time with my old man and to meet the men who made this club of our great, the forgotten men.

we fall all over ourselves with the current team just because they beat the gumps, we put them on a pedestal every season and we hope that a tiny bit of that 70s Baseball Ground magic will sprinkle its self over Pride Park.

will we ever see a team that can win anything ? probably not.

will we ever see another player make over 300 appearances for the rams ? probably not

will we ever see a centre forward score 150 goals ?

will we ever play in the European cup again ?

that's why these guys are important and Derby County football club should do something to honour them, they cant even muster up a few grand to make some sort of museum, ok we haven't got the trophies to flll cabinets but we have a history that needs to passed down to the next generation, even if its a dvd on a loop with some old shirts and some replica first division and second division trophy's, FA cup, watney cup, Texaco cup, it would certainly look better than the poor effort we have now

we need something to cling onto cause there is nothing new on the horizon as far as I can see !!

sorry for the ramble.

up the rams

Fantastic read, it is great to see our fans going to so much trouble, and I bet the players really appreciate the effort you go to.

I get to go to the players meet up at Christmas and sit there too star struck to speak to most of them. Charlie George was there a couple of seasons ago, and it was just, wow.

I do feel as though I have to pull you up on one part though, Keogh is almost at 300 appearances :p (257 for the club)

20 minutes ago, rynny said:

Fantastic read, it is great to see our fans going to so much trouble, and I bet the players really appreciate the effort you go to.

I get to go to the players meet up at Christmas and sit there too star struck to speak to most of them. Charlie George was there a couple of seasons ago, and it was just, wow.

I do feel as though I have to pull you up on one part though, Keogh is almost at 300 appearances :p (257 for the club)

@loweman2, always got a mistake in him :ph34r:

Great post Loweman2 and a very sad one.Im an oldie and all the players mentioned hold a very special place in my heart.

Frustrating and suprising that most are not honoured by the club i personaly did not know they are treated this way.

Do you think it is a deliberate attitude from the club or just a massive oversight,if Morris is the superfan he says he is 

he should be all over this should he not?.

2 minutes ago, CROSSWORD said:

Great post Loweman2 and a very sad one.Im an oldie and all the players mentioned hold a very special place in my heart.

Frustrating and suprising that most are not honoured by the club i personaly did not know they are treated this way.

Do you think it is a deliberate attitude from the club or just a massive oversight,if Morris is the superfan he says he is 

he should be all over this should he not?.

superfan of a certain age also, seems at conflict to what I expected was how our club was run

4 hours ago, loweman2 said:

no connection, these are my dads heroes from back in the day, since we lost my mum I have tried to spend more quality time with my dad and decided that this would be a good thing to do him and for me, we get to spend a day together driving to the destination and then spending a few hours with each player and that is priceless. 

I have a good connection with the players details, I write to them and ask them if they could spare a couple of hours to meet up privately with me and my Dad to chat about old times, the more I meet the more you get other contact details, once they know you are genuine fans and not just fishing for stories or trying to get things signed to sell on they really open up and I think that they actually enjoy it.

trying to work our way through all of the team, obviously for some its not possible, very soon they will become memories and I intend to be able to say that I got to know them in life.

We look back now and talk about what a legend Steve Bloomer was and sing songs about him.

These guys put Derby County on the map, the world map !

I feel and each of them feel that the club has forgotten about them Roy and Rodger obviously have set themselves up but the rest of them are forgotten men, soon they will not be here.

Some of the won not one but two championships, the only two championships in the history of our football club, surely they deserve more.

Alan Durban (420 games 110 goals) said he was sad that a museum has never been set up at the club, all of this stuff that they own will just be passed down to family who perhaps have no passion for Derby and will be auctioned off to the highest bidder and never see the light of day.

Jim Walker I am actively involved with Andy Ellis the clubs historian in trying to get the FA to present him with a winners medal, it was him that scored against Crystal Palace and that goal achieved the point that won us the league !

Colin Todd (293 games 6 goals) feels that the club have disowned him, he loves Derby County, I wrote to Mel Morris passing on Colin thoughts asking if there was room for him to play an more active role as an ambassador or such like but never got a reply despite going through his secretary so I know he read it.

Also have met up with John O'Hare (248 games 65 goals) and Alan Hinton (253 games 63 goals) and sat and had a few pints with them, been down to see Steve Powell a few times, he still works in the university Gym earning a living, he played 350 games and 20 goals for Derby between 1971 and 1985 and really saw the best of times and the worst of times and yet the club doesn't want to know him.

John McGovern (190 games 16 goals), he works for the gumps but still played a massive part in Derbys evolution he seems to accept he has no part to play at Derby.

Colin Boulton 1964 to 1976 272 games for Derby and an ever present in two championship winning sides.

Archie Gemmill 1970-77 320 games and 25 goals.

Frank Wignall 1969-71 45 games and 15 goals very funny man and only played a small part but still scored some vital goals in that season.

Roy macfarland 1967 - 81 440 games and 40 goals we all know about Roy.

kevin Hector 490 games and 150 goals, met him few years ago so not included him on the "tour" but if you are talking about legends then this is your man !, doesn't have anything to do with the club, doesn't even go to the Christmas get togethers as he feels that strongly.

had the pleasure of meeting Clough a few times and my dad had formed a friendship with him in the last few years of his life and often used to pop round for a cup of tea.

Dave mackay met him for a sit down and a coffee at what was the old baseball bar and grill at the ground around 8 years ago, he was another legend who didn't seem to get the recognition he deserved.

still working towards meeting terry hennessy when he comes over from Australia in a few weeks time.

so a bit of a long post but in a nutshell its to spend some time with my old man and to meet the men who made this club of our great, the forgotten men.

we fall all over ourselves with the current team just because they beat the gumps, we put them on a pedestal every season and we hope that a tiny bit of that 70s Baseball Ground magic will sprinkle its self over Pride Park.

will we ever see a team that can win anything ? probably not.

will we ever see another player make over 300 appearances for the rams ? probably not

will we ever see a centre forward score 150 goals ?

will we ever play in the European cup again ?

that's why these guys are important and Derby County football club should do something to honour them, they cant even muster up a few grand to make some sort of museum, ok we haven't got the trophies to flll cabinets but we have a history that needs to passed down to the next generation, even if its a dvd on a loop with some old shirts and some replica first division and second division trophy's, FA cup, watney cup, Texaco cup, it would certainly look better than the poor effort we have now

we need something to cling onto cause there is nothing new on the horizon as far as I can see !!

sorry for the ramble.

up the rams

Great thing you are doing with your dad ,I spent quite a long time with KH and have several photo's with him I have to say he did not have a bad word to say about anyone and certainly not the club.

9 minutes ago, Spanish said:

superfan of a certain age also, seems at conflict to what I expected was how our club was run

I don't think its so much to do with how are club is run or even really Mel and it is certainly not my intention in the posts to bash the club.

I think that there is so much going off with the present day squad and the revolving door of managers that it has perhaps become an oversight, the 70s players could be used to increase the profile of the club especially as it was obviously our most successful period as a football team if not as a business, that is where the change over occurred when it ceased to be a football club and became a business some where along the line, it had to do that to survive.

They were halcyon days of another era of English football and its ok us being all nostalgic but we also have to be realistic, we can not run a club based on the past and we have to look to the future, my point is that surely there is room to use people like Alan Durban, Kevin Hector and Colin Todd etc even if its on the promotions side and give future generations the ability to find out that Derby County was once the greatest team in the land by having some sort of museum or viewing room in Pride Park to show it off.

I was at the Derby County charity cricket match at Spondon recently and they were expecting Kevin Hector so not sure he is completely estranged from the club. 

Also, didn’t we have a parade of former players from the 74/75 team on the pitch on their 40th anniversary?  They must have been guests of the club that day surely?  

Lovely memories, @loweman2 and I am sure that people at the club will be interested in what you have said here. Regarding the memorabilia/museum do you talk to the guys who collect a lot of that stuff? I can't remember their name, sorry.

11 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

I don't think its so much to do with how are club is run or even really Mel and it is certainly not my intention in the posts to bash the club.

I think that there is so much going off with the present day squad and the revolving door of managers that it has perhaps become an oversight, the 70s players could be used to increase the profile of the club especially as it was obviously our most successful period as a football team if not as a business, that is where the change over occurred when it ceased to be a football club and became a business some where along the line, it had to do that to survive.

They were halcyon days of another era of English football and its ok us being all nostalgic but we also have to be realistic, we can not run a club based on the past and we have to look to the future, my point is that surely there is room to use people like Alan Durban, Kevin Hector and Colin Todd etc even if its on the promotions side and give future generations the ability to find out that Derby County was once the greatest team in the land by having some sort of museum or viewing room in Pride Park to show it off.

I'm not having a dig (got to be careful on this site as ppl jump to conclusions)

when my boyhood heroes appear to have been forgotten by my boyhood club....

maybe they have or maybe they haven't, it just stung my a little, left me sad.  Remember seeing photo of Zac in a posties uniform and thought how wrong that was.

4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I'm not having a dig (got to be careful on this site as ppl jump to conclusions)

when my boyhood heroes appear to have been forgotten by my boyhood club....

maybe they have or maybe they haven't, it just stung my a little, left me sad.  Remember seeing photo of Zac in a posties uniform and thought how wrong that was.

that's the problem, my point was to emphasise that the old lads could do and want to do stuff if they can and that we could do with somewhere to remember them, I didn't want to start world war three, its a fine line when trying to put something into words that doesn't open up a right can of worms !! :-)

4 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

that's the problem, my point was to emphasise that the old lads could do and want to do stuff if they can and that we could do with somewhere to remember them, I didn't want to start world war three, its a fine line when trying to put something into words that doesn't open up a right can of worms !! :-)

The point is to raise points of concern in the correct manner which you have.  If we ever to get to a position where we cant mention things like this then it is time to pack up

Archived