Just an old jacket ?

loweman2

Another trip out today with my old man to meet another one of his heroes, this time one of Derbys longest serving players,

another one of the 16 that one the First Division Championship in 1971/72,

Alan Durban played 404 games for Derby and scored 110 goals,

we spent a great couple of hours around his house and when we were going he gave me a great gift, his jacket from the presentation at the BBG to recieve the Championship trophy !!

another superb piece of Derby County history !

650076420.jpg

IMG_1260.JPG

IMG_1259.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Wow! I'm bumswizzelled. Again. :mellow:

immense. Does it fit you? 

Looks like it's been stuffed away in a drawer. You may need to get it dry-cleaned. What are your plans for it? 

I don't think that it would have fitted me at my prime Ella let alone in my late 40s !! saying that it was a bit tight on Alan back in the day looking at the picture !!

it was a bit creased and a bit wiffy so I have just taken it to the dry cleaners ! the woman thought it was a school blazer !!

"Hardly" I said and then proceeded to bore her to death with tales of my collection of Derby County memorabilia !

Its the sort of thing that should form part of a cabinet presentation isn't it, on a mannequin with no head, along with the medal and team picture receiving the trophy !

I will have a word with the wife and see what she thinks to me assembling it in the front room.

Alan was a top man and said he would sort out some more stuff for me, he gave me a load of old photos that Gerald Mortimer had given to him to sift through for his testimonial programme.

I was a bit over whelmed with his generosity but a little bit of me was hoping he would give me his championship medal to look after !

all in all another really nice man, ive met quite a few over the past year and they have all been very down to earth and very humble and not with much to show in the way of wealth, nowdays they would all be multi millionaires !

still they played the game then because they loved it and they wanted to win things, not so much for the money.

6 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

I don't think that it would have fitted me at my prime Ella let alone in my late 40s !! saying that it was a bit tight on Alan back in the day looking at the picture !!

it was a bit creased and a bit wiffy so I have just taken it to the dry cleaners ! the woman thought it was a school blazer !!

"Hardly" I said and then proceeded to bore her to death with tales of my collection of Derby County memorabilia !

Its the sort of thing that should form part of a cabinet presentation isn't it, on a mannequin with no head, along with the medal and team picture receiving the trophy !

I will have a word with the wife and see what she thinks to me assembling it in the front room.

Alan was a top man and said he would sort out some more stuff for me, he gave me a load of old photos that Gerald Mortimer had given to him to sift through for his testimonial programme.

I was a bit over whelmed with his generosity but a little bit of me was hoping he would give me his championship medal to look after !

all in all another really nice man, ive met quite a few over the past year and they have all been very down to earth and very humble and not with much to show in the way of wealth, nowdays they would all be multi millionaires !

still they played the game then because they loved it and they wanted to win things, not so much for the money.

I am a real sucker for all the memorabilia. I remember the collection at Quad at couple of years back which amazingly included Roy Mc's last contract with Derby, supported by Colin Addison with a letter to the Board. All great stuff...great that Alan Durban has recycled it to a Rams Fan. 

2 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Gordon Guthrie. But I think you mean to the right. 

To the left as we look at them, so to our left, his right.....

2 hours ago, Igorwasking said:

And I thought my Charlie George shirt was impressive! Bravo Lowe!

what’s your dads connections with the players of that era (assuming he has one?)

Wow! The hours of my life wasted waiting at the BBG Players entrance just to get his autograph...he always left by some secret exit. And you claim to have his shirt?!! How?! Please explain...

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

Who is to the left of john mcgovern?

He has got the official blazer on so I assume that he was part of the staff.

There were 16 of them that played that season, I see poor old Jim Walker wasn't even given a blazer let alone a medal !!

Todd and mcfarland were on England duty that weekend

There are 13 players in the picture, frank wignall had left so I assume that its not him but it does bare some resemblance to him, he did get a medal as he played 10 games.

if its not a player then its poor how he got a blazer and Jim walker didn't, tehn again you see photos of clough and taylor holding the trophy and Peter had the blazer but not Clough !

3 hours ago, Igorwasking said:

And I thought my Charlie George shirt was impressive! Bravo Lowe!

what’s your dads connections with the players of that era (assuming he has one?)

no connection, these are my dads heroes from back in the day, since we lost my mum I have tried to spend more quality time with my dad and decided that this would be a good thing to do him and for me, we get to spend a day together driving to the destination and then spending a few hours with each player and that is priceless. 

I have a good connection with the players details, I write to them and ask them if they could spare a couple of hours to meet up privately with me and my Dad to chat about old times, the more I meet the more you get other contact details, once they know you are genuine fans and not just fishing for stories or trying to get things signed to sell on they really open up and I think that they actually enjoy it.

trying to work our way through all of the team, obviously for some its not possible, very soon they will become memories and I intend to be able to say that I got to know them in life.

We look back now and talk about what a legend Steve Bloomer was and sing songs about him.

These guys put Derby County on the map, the world map !

I feel and each of them feel that the club has forgotten about them Roy and Rodger obviously have set themselves up but the rest of them are forgotten men, soon they will not be here.

Some of the won not one but two championships, the only two championships in the history of our football club, surely they deserve more.

Alan Durban (420 games 110 goals) said he was sad that a museum has never been set up at the club, all of this stuff that they own will just be passed down to family who perhaps have no passion for Derby and will be auctioned off to the highest bidder and never see the light of day.

Jim Walker I am actively involved with Andy Ellis the clubs historian in trying to get the FA to present him with a winners medal, it was him that scored against Crystal Palace and that goal achieved the point that won us the league !

Colin Todd (293 games 6 goals) feels that the club have disowned him, he loves Derby County, I wrote to Mel Morris passing on Colin thoughts asking if there was room for him to play an more active role as an ambassador or such like but never got a reply despite going through his secretary so I know he read it.

Also have met up with John O'Hare (248 games 65 goals) and Alan Hinton (253 games 63 goals) and sat and had a few pints with them, been down to see Steve Powell a few times, he still works in the university Gym earning a living, he played 350 games and 20 goals for Derby between 1971 and 1985 and really saw the best of times and the worst of times and yet the club doesn't want to know him.

John McGovern (190 games 16 goals), he works for the gumps but still played a massive part in Derbys evolution he seems to accept he has no part to play at Derby.

Colin Boulton 1964 to 1976 272 games for Derby and an ever present in two championship winning sides.

Archie Gemmill 1970-77 320 games and 25 goals.

Frank Wignall 1969-71 45 games and 15 goals very funny man and only played a small part but still scored some vital goals in that season.

Roy macfarland 1967 - 81 440 games and 40 goals we all know about Roy.

kevin Hector 490 games and 150 goals, met him few years ago so not included him on the "tour" but if you are talking about legends then this is your man !, doesn't have anything to do with the club, doesn't even go to the Christmas get togethers as he feels that strongly.

had the pleasure of meeting Clough a few times and my dad had formed a friendship with him in the last few years of his life and often used to pop round for a cup of tea.

Dave mackay met him for a sit down and a coffee at what was the old baseball bar and grill at the ground around 8 years ago, he was another legend who didn't seem to get the recognition he deserved.

still working towards meeting terry hennessy when he comes over from Australia in a few weeks time.

so a bit of a long post but in a nutshell its to spend some time with my old man and to meet the men who made this club of our great, the forgotten men.

we fall all over ourselves with the current team just because they beat the gumps, we put them on a pedestal every season and we hope that a tiny bit of that 70s Baseball Ground magic will sprinkle its self over Pride Park.

will we ever see a team that can win anything ? probably not.

will we ever see another player make over 300 appearances for the rams ? probably not

will we ever see a centre forward score 150 goals ?

will we ever play in the European cup again ?

that's why these guys are important and Derby County football club should do something to honour them, they cant even muster up a few grand to make some sort of museum, ok we haven't got the trophies to flll cabinets but we have a history that needs to passed down to the next generation, even if its a dvd on a loop with some old shirts and some replica first division and second division trophy's, FA cup, watney cup, Texaco cup, it would certainly look better than the poor effort we have now

we need something to cling onto cause there is nothing new on the horizon as far as I can see !!

sorry for the ramble.

up the rams

No need to be sorry for the ramble.  The past players that achieved all this deserve the recognition.  The only one that I've met is John McGovern but was too gobsmacked to really get into conversation with him.  Although he made up for that if you know what I mean.  Mind, I'd be saying a lot if I'd won what he has even if most of it was with those who shall not be mentioned.

Fanastic post loweman2 - many thanks.

Is there any way that Mel can be bombarded with copies of this - the passion and strength of feeling oozes from this post, and I am sure that many of us - the dwindling number of now "grey, old and crusties" - feel exactly the same that a club museum / recognition of this group of players needs to be addressed before it is too late.

At the end of the day, all we have are memories - and as you get older, you realise that it is important that they do not disappear into obscurity.

Wow what a fantastic post Loweman 2. Ditto Dordognes comments.

Real sad to hear about Toddy. All these guys were my Dads heroes too (just a little before my time), though I've also met a good few at do's. Just wonder why Colin Todd appears to have been cold shouldered? Part of the best defensive duo this club has ever had, hope he gets his wish eventually. Same for Powell and Hector.

Top post mate

Ditto Dordogne Ram and Zag zig's comments - a fantastic post by Loweman2. Full credit for everything you have done and continue to do for your dad and our heroes. A Derby County museum or heritage centre would be brilliant, even if it is only a room set aside within Pride Park or nearby at which fans and students can see all of the history of the club on display. A mark of respect for all of our former players and so much better than having all of the historical items gathering dust in people's attics or kept in private cupboards where no-one can see them.

Archived