Winnall to come in for Johnson ! Martin to start !

Curtains

Winnall is an out and out striker ... I see him more as an impact player off the bench. Martin can start with nugent or vydra but we need three in midfield imo.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said this over and over but Vydra has made a career of obliterating Forest. He's our top scorer and without doubt will be the one player Warburton is praying we don't start.  After that it don't matter, although Nugent plays best with Vydra so prob that's top pairing. Martin is doing great as a second half sub. If we aren't battering them or we need a diff look, then we can bring him on later - same for Winnall.

16 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I've said this over and over but Vydra has made a career of obliterating Forest. He's our top scorer and without doubt will be the one player Warburton is praying we don't start.  After that it don't matter, although Nugent plays best with Vydra so prob that's top pairing. Martin is doing great as a second half sub. If we aren't battering them or we need a diff look, then we can bring him on later - same for Winnall.

Do tell us when we have seen Martin play with Vydra  .... just so that your comment 'Nugent plays best with Vydra ' can be put in context.

2 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Do tell us when we have seen Martin play with Vydra  .... just so that your comment 'Nugent plays best with Vydra ' can be put in context.

70 odd minutes at Grimsby was obviously enough to make judgement :unsure:

Wouldn't it be great if we had a young talented creative central midfielder.

instead of having to spanner a striker into a midfield role?

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Wouldn't it be great if we had a young talented creative central midfielder.

instead of having to spanner a striker into a midfield role?

Chris Baird?

2 hours ago, Ninos said:

I like Nugent,great guy but his running around a lot has its limits.

And if you like Nugent linking up with vydra,you would be orgasmic at Martin doing the same...but ten times better.

The best of both worlds you see....vydra running around a lot but being provided with the opportunity to score more.

12 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I think I’m grateful you’re not the manager of Derby County Football Club...

I think curtains would make a great manager. He can see when a players got talent like Martin, realises a player does not need to run if he is already stood in the best place because he has read the game, plus he is into Northern Soul which makes him a great bloke in my mind. 

I will send a letter to Mel suggesting it. 

On 10/10/2017 at 18:02, Ninos said:

For all the stick you get, turns out to be a good shout @Ninos :lol:

3 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

For all the stick you get, turns out to be a good shout @Ninos :lol:

Ta. Pretty obvious really. Call it as I see it. And as I said it's been a while since I've seen martin not put a foot wrong and he may have only been on for 10 minutes but he was really excellent, and executed Rowetts plan.  Vydra however is in a different class - now underlined by GRs statement that he could be the best #10 in the league. 

Didn't call the Thorne move but that was a superb move too and the timing was bang on.

We now know the home side. There are two new challenges for Rowett. 

1. Vyds and Nuge are now locks at home . But When and why does he start the Vydra Nugent tandem away from home? He surely can't keep dropping them for every away game ?

2. How does he hold on to martin who is turning out to be super valuable late on ? If he lets him go in Jan, who'll assume that role? No one? Zanzala when back from Chester? And what's Winnalls situation?

Good problems to have.

Chris Martin has made the role of "Impact substitute" his own this season, both for us and for Scotland, and excels at it. Whether or not he is happy to continue to play this role remains to be seen. To some extent, his role will be shaped by the possibility of injuries to any of our other front players but I still see Vydra and Nugent as our first choice pairing.

More of a dilemma though is which two out of Hudds, Ledley, Johnson and Thorne are chosen by GR to face the Wendies. My own (marginal) call would be Johnson and Ledley but you could, quite reasonably, make a case for any combination from those four. I expect Thorne to cement one of the places when he returns to full form and fitness and it was great to see him back in Championship action again.

6 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

Chris Martin has made the role of "Impact substitute" his own this season, both for us and for Scotland, and excels at it. Whether or not he is happy to continue to play this role remains to be seen. To some extent, his role will be shaped by the possibility of injuries to any of our other front players but I still see Vydra and Nugent as our first choice pairing.

More of a dilemma though is which two out of Hudds, Ledley, Johnson and Thorne are chosen by GR to face the Wendies. My own (marginal) call would be Johnson and Ledley but you could, quite reasonably, make a case for any combination from those four. I expect Thorne to cement one of the places when he returns to full form and fitness and it was great to see him back in Championship action again.

Rowett is smart but he's fairly faithful to his set of principles. My sense: We won in a cakewalk so It will be exactly the same lineup v Wed. Thorne will be bedded slowly and he won't change a winning defensive midfield pairing, so johnson will not return until the away game where Rowett will really feel pressure to play him as he'll want the hard man in there. 

7 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Rowett is smart but he's fairly faithful to his set of principles. My sense: We won in a cakewalk so It will be exactly the same lineup v Wed. Thorne will be bedded slowly and he won't change a winning defensive midfield pairing, so johnson will not return until the away game where Rowett will really feel pressure to play him as he'll want the hard man in there. 

Yes, I think you are probably right. I certainly expect Johnson to start in the away games at Norwich and Leeds.

Archived