End of the Monarchy

sage

Monarch Airlines have gone bust stranding 115,000 holidaymakers abroad.

I know because I am one of them.

The CAA are arranging flights. Some on time, some a few hours late. I hope mine is 3 days late. I like it here.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Boycie said:

You’ll get sorted, but you have to wonder how they managed to operate when you only paid £9.99 return?

They were still selling flights yesterday, one way which would usually cost £32 they jacked up to £132....I say jacked up but that was still a reasonable price.

The whole industry is a mess. Monarch going, RyanAir a complete mess,, Norwegian overspending massively. 

Just booked EasyJet flight for Portugal next summer, hopefully they will be okay. They are better run than the others. Be careful if you book Norwegian, they are spending like a middle east carrier at the moment. That is not sustainable in the current climate.

Higher prices are coming.

There were 5 Monarch flights out of Dalaman today.

Three have been replaced on time. One is going to be 3 hours late and one hasnt been re arranged yet. 

Obviously mine is the latter.

What is worrying is a few monarch flights are being sent to different airports in the UK then you have to wait for an internal flight.

My car is at Luton so I am guessing Edinburgh.

Monarch have been a basket case ever since they were taken over a few years ago. They scrapped some profitable long-haul routes & made the suicidal decision to try and take on the big boys in their own back yard by competing for the mediterranean low lost flights instead, wihtout having the economies of scale to make it a viable business model. It was only ever going to end one way and sadly, the result will probably be less competition and higher prices from now on.

59 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

The whole industry is a mess. Monarch going, RyanAir a complete mess,, Norwegian overspending massively. 

Just booked EasyJet flight for Portugal next summer, hopefully they will be okay. They are better run than the others. Be careful if you book Norwegian, they are spending like a middle east carrier at the moment. That is not sustainable in the current climate.

Higher prices are coming.

Booked on Norwegian to USA next month. Brand new planes and £300ret... My friend got a single flight to Bangkok with them for £90....

Cheap. Cheap.

43 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Booked on Norwegian to USA next month. Brand new planes and £300ret... My friend got a single flight to Bangkok with them for £90....

Cheap. Cheap.

Cheap yes but I just don't see how their business model works. I have worked closely with them on a few things and they are a bit of a mess. They have grown very quickly and their management is struggling to keep up with the growth. Here today, gone tomorrow? Who know, I hope not but we have seen this before with the budget carriers. Difficult for the new boy to muscle in and their only leverage is ticket price. That's okay (maybe) if you are buying secondhand equipment but they are not.

£90 to BKK is crazy.. Bite their hand off yes but £90 !!!

38 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Cheap yes but I just don't see how their business model works. I have worked closely with them on a few things and they are a bit of a mess. They have grown very quickly and their management is struggling to keep up with the growth. Here today, gone tomorrow? Who know, I hope not but we have seen this before with the budget carriers. Difficult for the new boy to muscle in and their only leverage is ticket price. That's okay (maybe) if you are buying secondhand equipment but they are not.

Was from Norway rather than UK but still incredible at that price.

I don't work in the industry but seems crazy prices. Staff must be paid bugger all.

Another cheap airline that I don't see much attention on is Wow Air to North America via Iceland. Some very very cheap fares but I've heard that the planes are very basic and quite old.

4 hours ago, sage said:

Monarch Airlines have gone bust stranding 115,000 holidaymakers abroad.

I know because I am one of them.

The CAA are arranging flights. Some on time, some a few hours late. I hope mine is 3 days late. I like it here.

You are not alone my friend. I am fortunate to have 6 months to sort it out but trying to get hold of Direct-line Booking service (who are the agents) is quite frankly impossible today which is understandable.

Latest update.

Every flight going back to the UK today has been sorted. Either leaving on time, a few hours late or going to a different UK airport then getting a transfer.

When I say every flight...

All except mine. Due to be taking off in six and a half hours and no news yet.

Luckily I'm in a lovely place with a pension owner who will let me hold my room (for today) at no cost.

It's looking like catching the red eye for me.

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

Another compo claim? Or as the company has gone is it a waste of time?

I think if you have a package holiday booked you can get compo but beyond that no. 

I won't be 4 hours late so none for me that way either.

I am losing  £30 on my Luton hotel but over 2000 people have lost their jobs and people due to fly put have had their holidays ruined so I am lucky in comparison.

Sith Happens
38 minutes ago, sage said:

I think if you have a package holiday booked you can get compo but beyond that no. 

I won't be 4 hours late so none for me that way either.

I am losing  £30 on my Luton hotel but over 2000 people have lost their jobs and people due to fly put have had their holidays ruined so I am lucky in comparison.

I think this is a good point, a lot of people online complaining and its understandable but looks like those who are travelling within the next few weeks are finding good alternative flights with other carriers.

Those that have booked 'in advance' will get there money back so can book alternatives, the issue might be those on DIY holidays as they may struggle if they have paid for accomodation so will have no choice but to find alternative flights.

Whatever the outcome its inconvenient of course, but it does look like people currently away are being taken care of. Its those who have lost their jobs that i really feel sorry for.

8 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

I nearly went with Norwegian to Boston - £110 quid return in November, but decided to pay more with BA for better flight times. No idea how Norwegian can run that route and make any profit whatsoever.

12 hours ago, sage said:

There were 5 Monarch flights out of Dalaman today.

Three have been replaced on time. One is going to be 3 hours late and one hasnt been re arranged yet. 

Obviously mine is the latter.

What is worrying is a few monarch flights are being sent to different airports in the UK then you have to wait for an internal flight.

My car is at Luton so I am guessing Edinburgh.

I'm going to Kalkan next Summer flying to Dalaman. Going on turkish airlines as half price before luggage costs plus food included too. Just have to change at Contstantinople.

Archived