Why We Need To Man Up

Comrade 86

After recent results, there's been a general outpouring of disgruntlement, some of which I entirely understand. I do think however, that folk need to get a grip in some regards as there seems to be some intrinsic contradictions where a lot of folks' arguments are concerned. Core to this line of thought is the criticism being aimed at MM and GR. So here goes....

How many of you wanting Rowett out were also wanting Mac gone? Likewise Pearson, Wassall, Clement et al? Do you see a pattern there? 

How many of you have accused Mel of meddling in the club he owns but are encouraging him to dump Rowett only 9 games into the season? If he does, will he then be accused of meddling again should the new gaffer also bomb?

How many of you have bemoaned managers not being given a fair crack but are advocating firing Rowett as early as September?

And if you fall into any of the above categories, might you be part of the problem?

Perhaps now is the time to rally behind the club, accept that if Gary is to bring success to Derby, that it might take 2/3 windows to achieve and that kneejerk firing of managers along with poor signings, both partially I suspect, to appease a demanding fan-base, have been the biggest factors in taking us from the dizzy heights of 2013/14, to the kind of performance we saw on Tuesday night.

I'm not GR's biggest fan by a long stretch and some of Mel's decisions perplex me, if I'm honest, but can anyone seriously argue that changing direction yet again and so soon after the start of the season is going to offer any kind of remedy to our current woes? Can't see it myself. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely.

we need a stiff upper lip.

this is no time for cowards and weaklings.

We need calmness under enemy fire.

Discipline and Bravery. 

Good luck men.

29 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I'm not GR's biggest fan by a long stretch and some of Mel's decisions perplex me, if I'm honest, but can anyone seriously argue that changing direction yet again and so soon after the start of the season is going to offer any kind of remedy to our current woes? Can't see it myself. 

Is Man Up really the most appropriate thing to be doing?

As much as I hate the gender stereotypes I think we probably need more understanding and patience at this time - Not traditionally male traits

7 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Is Man Up really the most appropriate thing to be doing?

As much as I hate the gender stereotypes I think we probably need more understanding and patience at this time - Not traditionally male traits

Your post confuses me somewhat. Isn't this exactly what I've said or are you trying to engage me on your gender stereotyping grievances? If so, espousing the idea that men traditionally are not 'understanding and patient' is surely sexist as well as an obvious example of the 'gender stereotypes' you claim offend you so much. Kind of ironic, dontcha think? 

14 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Your post confuses me somewhat. Isn't this exactly what I've said or are you trying to engage me on your gender stereotyping grievances? If so, espousing the idea that men traditionally are not 'understanding and patient' is surely sexist as well as an obvious example of the 'gender stereotypes' you claim offend you so much. Kind of ironic, dontcha think? 

Erm - I was agreeing with your general principles - But questioning the phrase Man Up on general principle - It was a more generalised pondering of whether the 'stiff upper-lip, put up with it, grind it out and don't complain' was better in this situation or whether a more calm, reasoned, patient, understanding approach might be better?

If I disagreed with you I'd pick you up on the specifics :)

And my second sentence was explaining that I thought the 'traditionally female' traits would be more appropriate at this point - Even though I hate the stereotyping around male/female traits

So why don't Hu-Man Up instead of griping at me! :D

1 minute ago, cheron85 said:

Erm - I was agreeing with your general principles - But questioning the phrase Man Up on general principle - It was a more generalised pondering of whether the 'stiff upper-lip, put up with it, grind it out and don't complain' was better in this situation or whether a more calm, reasoned, patient, understanding approach might be better?

If I disagreed with you I'd pick you up on the specifics :)

And my second sentence was explaining that I thought the 'traditionally female' traits would be more appropriate at this point - Even though I hate the stereotyping around male/female traits

So why don't Hu-Man Up instead of griping at me! :D

Dunno really. Maybe because I come here to discuss football and instead have some oh-so-PC grammar Nazi lecturing me on gender stereotypes and taking me to task over my syntax.

Heyho, I guess this is what the 'ignore' function is for.

After much thought  , the question is can / will rowett be able to adjust to the job at Derby , to me it's pretty clear that despite talking a good talk he is not 100 percent at home in his comfort zone at this stage ,, the job at burton and brum was very different to the one he's walked into at Derby given our recent investment ,closeness to promotion recently and fan/pundit expectations ,couple that with the demands on style of play not just results and it's a whole pressure cooker bubbling away ,,

in his favour he is a young manager and has found his way so far in the jobs he has had ,,,,really mel will be best placed to judge whether he can rise to it,, if he thinks he can and has a good relationship with him I'm sure he will get the time he needs ,

yep it's not great just now but I'm sure he knows that and knows what's expected long term in terms of style and results ,I do think he is taking too much on in terms of the transfers stuff ,he seems to want to do it all and that's far too much for a manager in this day and age and I think mel needs to guide on that in terms of having a rush type of figure he trusts doing the deals on the players he chooses

Totally agree with the opening post. For me there's 2 different camps here;

1. Those who think we have a divine right to be top 6 & go into meltdown everytime we don't win - generally seen around 5pm on a Saturday if we've done badly, then disappear until next gameday. A good run of form usually shuts them up.

2. Those who are still irate about McClaren's second sacking & wouldn't have accepted anyone coming in. Even good results are tinged with 'oh, they were crap' or 'yeah but they had more chances'. Harder to satisfy as nothing is ever going to be good enough.

Whilst I'm not totally supportive of every decision Rowett has made, he's got quite a job quelling the discontent that these vocal minorities will stir. Hopefully he sticks to whatever long term plan he has in mind & come the second half of the season, we'll start seeing the results and performances that this team & this manager are capable of producing.

12 hours ago, 86 points said:

How many of you wanting Rowett out were also wanting Mac gone? Likewise Pearson, Wassall, Clement et al? Do you see a pattern there? 

That's assuming a simplistic trait in the mindset of those you point the finger at. It's just as likely that it's different people with different views at various points in time. For instance many who were pro Clement may not be so keen on Pearson or Rowett. Obviously their are numerous combinations along the same lines. 

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

1. Those who think we have a divine right to be top 6 & go into meltdown everytime we don't win - generally seen around 5pm on a Saturday if we've done badly, then disappear until next gameday. A good run of form usually shuts them up.

2. Those who are still irate about McClaren's second sacking & wouldn't have accepted anyone coming in. Even good results are tinged with 'oh, they were crap' or 'yeah but they had more chances'. Harder to satisfy as nothing is ever going to be good enough.

Whilst I'm not totally supportive of every decision Rowett has made, he's got quite a job quelling the discontent that these vocal minorities will stir. Hopefully he sticks to whatever long term plan he has in mind & come the second half of the season, we'll start seeing the results and performances that this team & this manager are capable of producing.

Bit narrow minded to fit your narrative there Leeds...

The third option are the fans who were indeed irate over Mac's 2nd dismissal but willing to give GR a chance but are then appalled by the teams performances under him,it being so far away from a Mac team that it's unrecognisable...and saw the hull game in a more realistic light rather than with that of the the gr fanboy who orgasmed at the thought of finally believing they had been right on the forum's all along.....

But were premature with that too..

11 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

What a great post just a pity it will. go over the heads of most of the dullards on here 

22 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

Get ya tits out for the lads !!

True story this ,me and my mate was a a training course [residential] ,rule was if you got a young lady to come back with you it was virtually a sure thing .

Anyway we took these two girls back one night and next day at breackfast I asked him how he'd got on . It was ok said he until I put my hand on her leg at which point she slapped me and said it's tits first where I come from .

Archived