Why We Need To Man Up

Comrade 86

23 hours ago, 86 points said:

I've asked the question 'how many' so there's no assumptions being made. We both know there's a good few though and we also both know that some are repeat offenders. I don't hold myself to a higher standard either, I just tend to be a lot less vocal. The gist of the post is centred on what I perceive as a lack of patience. Nothing else really. That's not to say I'm not impatient only that you'd not find me wanting shot of a manager after 9 games, irrespective of results.*

I'm actually genuinely fearful that Mel will pull the trigger and if he does, I think it'll be disastrous. You can call me silly if you like but I do think he is swayed by fans' opinions so the point I'm making is be careful what you wish for. I understand why folk are getting twitchy but if we win our game in hand, we'll only be a couple of points off the play-off slots. I'm not enjoying the football we are playing but equally, I don't see that we're a club in crisis either. I don't think that's me being a happy-clapper, I think it's just common sense. Manager's teams tend to reflect their footballing philosophy and if, for example. we brought in someone like Mac in order to revert to a style of football more pleasing to the fan-base, we'd need to rethink the playing roster again. As such, Rowett needs a chance to prove that those who have lost confidence are wide of the mark, or not as it may be.  I just wish that he was less 'pragmatic' in the way he wants us to play but if he gets us challenging for promotion then I guess many folk will happily overlook how we play the game.

* Disclaimer - Nigel Pearson excepted

Fair points. As it happens I have a distinctly different view, whereby I actually think that on this occasion Mel will stick with the current manager for the long haul. Ironically, it may well turn out that in isolation (from what has happened to previous managers) Rowett may turn out to be the least suited to the chairmans aspirations, possibly deciding that getting rid of GR would be a sacking too far.... even for Mel.  

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I don't think Rowett's previous record is exceptional but it certainly is impressive.

Burton were heading out of the Football League when he took them over - he left them as a team that finished in the playoffs for two years running. At the time, that was a significant achievement for a club of their (then) status. Birmingham were heading out of the Championship when he took them over & had just been beat 8-0 at home by Bournemouth - he steadied the ship & left a team on the fringes of the playoffs.

As a manager, all you can ask is that they leave the team in a better place than where they found it - if Rowett achieves that at Derby, we'll be in the Premiership & that excites me. And when recruiting a manager, surely the key thing you look for is evidence of them being successful in previous jobs. On that basis, I'm content giving Rowett time to get things right. And that doesn't change whatever the result is today or next week.

Re McClaren - his record at Derby is very good overall & it would be irrational to think him a 'clown' on that basis. I do think he's over-rated by some on here though as he's never built a team and/or achieved anything. When folk were discussing their top 5 managers since Clough, he was amongst Cox, Smith & Burley despite the fact that the first 3 started with very little & he inherited a very favourable situation & squad. Yes, 2013/14 was fantastic but ultimately he left us at the end of 14/15 outside the playoffs, not far off where Clough had the team.

Or you could say he was so good that he didn't need to build his own team. Use what you have and make them play better.

Archived