FIFA 18

Alex W

I've been fairly excited for each FIFA the last few years, I paid for a month of EA access to try ten hours of gameplay a week early and thank God I did. It's garbage.

Last year and 2016 were far more defensive and tactically minded than the game used to be; this year it has returned to the arcade. Pace feels so much more powerful than before, the defenders are all in possession of the turning circles of injured Darren Moore's, the ease in which you can simply pass forward and it always gets there is ridiculous and the goalkeepers are either stand in amateurs or Neuer himself.

I've been positive on where the game has been attempting to go, away from the FIFA 15 'pace wins matches' philosophy but there's no way of doing that this year. I usually get to the top division with a league like Turkey or Portugal and try to win the title then retire. I haven't got a prayer of that with how bad these 'top' defenders are.

For anyone also pre-ordering or ready to purchase on Friday, pay 3.99 for Ea access and try it before you do. I'm really disappointed in it. If they patch the game to hell it may be good by Christmas, I'll revisit it then.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you're not buying it until Christmas, my phone won't be dinging anymore with you banging on about your Turkish dream boys. Isn't like I've ever pretended to have any interest in what players you have.

Get on Destiny now and rank up, I'm miles ahead without really trying. The game you was practically begging me to get a few months ago yet nowhere to be seen.

18 hours ago, David said:

Glad you're not buying it until Christmas, my phone won't be dinging anymore with you banging on about your Turkish dream boys. Isn't like I've ever pretended to have any interest in what players you have.

Get on Destiny now and rank up, I'm miles ahead without really trying. The game you was practically begging me to get a few months ago yet nowhere to be seen.

Question about Destiny.

I felt massively ripped off by the first one as I got the base game on release and it was blatantly an unfinished shell designed to shill DLC to the player base. The shooting was fine but the story was incoherent and the game was riddled with loads of crap arbitrary currencies that will probably all become paid microtransactions at some point.

Is Destiny 2 more of the same or is it a more 'complete' experience?

8 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Question about Destiny.

I felt massively ripped off by the first one as I got the base game on release and it was blatantly an unfinished shell designed to shill DLC to the player base. The shooting was fine but the story was incoherent and the game was riddled with loads of crap arbitrary currencies that will probably all become paid microtransactions at some point.

Destiny 1 once it had all the DLC was a great game.

Destiny 2 is a far more complete experience, though I still think the DLC will make it far superior.

3 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

Destiny 1 once it had all the DLC was a great game.

Destiny 2 is a far more complete experience, though I still think the DLC will make it far superior.

My problem wasn't with the finished product of Destiny 1, my problem was with the way the early adopters were basically screwed over having paid for the shell of a game then having to pay for several DLC items to make it feature complete. It was a terrible value proposition and left me with a really bitter taste.

5 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Question about Destiny.

Didn’t play 1 so this is my first venture into the game, enjoying it so far, doesn’t feel like I’ve paid £50 to wait for DLC yet. Not seen any micro transactions either.

You can microtransact silver to pay for items from eververse, or whatever it's called.

The biggest problem with Destiny for me is the strikes, it's fine when it pairs you up with some randoms but Nightfall strikes and raids may as well not exist because they refuse to automatically fill up a team for you, I don't KNOW 2-5 other people sad enough to play games with any regularity and I find it impossible to communicate with strangers online in that context.

3 hours ago, Coconut said:

You can microtransact silver to pay for items from eververse, or whatever it's called.

The biggest problem with Destiny for me is the strikes, it's fine when it pairs you up with some randoms but Nightfall strikes and raids may as well not exist because they refuse to automatically fill up a team for you, I don't KNOW 2-5 other people sad enough to play games with any regularity and I find it impossible to communicate with strangers online in that context.

Are you on Xbox or PS4?

On 26/09/2017 at 20:10, David said:

Are you on Xbox or PS4?

PS4.

I have since realised that they have tried to implement something to bridge the gap, called Guided Games. You use a token to enter a queue to join someone else's clam for a single mission with the 'promise' that everyone understands that newbies are newbies.

These events look to require a LOT of coordination and talking though, voice chat is mandatory which is probably the main issue for me really. It's just not something I'm comfortable with even with this Guided Games thing.

On 24/09/2017 at 15:56, Alex W said:

I've been fairly excited for each FIFA the last few years, I paid for a month of EA access to try ten hours of gameplay a week early and thank God I did. It's garbage.

Last year and 2016 were far more defensive and tactically minded than the game used to be; this year it has returned to the arcade. Pace feels so much more powerful than before, the defenders are all in possession of the turning circles of injured Darren Moore's, the ease in which you can simply pass forward and it always gets there is ridiculous and the goalkeepers are either stand in amateurs or Neuer himself.

I've been positive on where the game has been attempting to go, away from the FIFA 15 'pace wins matches' philosophy but there's no way of doing that this year. I usually get to the top division with a league like Turkey or Portugal and try to win the title then retire. I haven't got a prayer of that with how bad these 'top' defenders are.

Been playing this over the weekend and half agree with your early thoughts.

It certainly does not feel like pace is king, if anything the game feels slower when you play it. All players seem to turn like the titanic and passes forward are intercepted, at least by the AI, a lot more often than previous generations.

I will agree that defending has declined massively, it's almost impossible to not concede. Case in point - I'm not 'good' at the game, my level against AI is about world class though (tough games). I've played games against Professional and Semi-Pro so far...conceded in every game, had at least 1 defender booked in every game, conceded a penalty in every game. I'm winning 5-3, 4-2, but it's just ridiculous. 

I'll wait till I play a few online before fully slamming the game, but it does not feel as good as last years game. So maybe a nearly fully agree with you

On 24/09/2017 at 15:56, Alex W said:

For anyone also pre-ordering or ready to purchase on Friday, pay 3.99 for Ea access and try it before you do. I'm really disappointed in it. If they patch the game to hell it may be good by Christmas, I'll revisit it then.

Why didn't you just download the demo?

12 hours ago, Simsy said:

Why didn't you just download the demo?

Because the demo doesn't give me an insight into ultimate team which is the only thing I play, any changes there. Ten hours of the actual game for four quid (as well as all the other benefits of ea access for a bit) was well worth paying. 

Hopefully they sort it out with the patch, worst fifa in years for me. Passing is painfully slow, defenders and goalkeeper might as well not be on the pitch. The whole game feels "arcade". If I wanted arcade id of bought pro evo.

I play mostly online, even games I'm winning I'm not enjoying. 17 had its flaws and anyone who plays enough would know how scripted it was. But you could do more than just through balls and sprinting with fast players which is all you need in 18.

I like it but i do agree that there's certain elements that need some work.

The defending is occasionally shocking and slow. Also, the goalkeepers can't just have a decent game. They're either Sunday League or make Manuel Neuer look average... Frustrating.  

7 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

What's the problems people are having with defending? I'm still playing the Alex Hunter mode so not had too much opportunity to defend. I see I'm supposed to power up my tackles like with shooting but that sounds good to me.

The "computer controlled" defenders don't seem to move, the few times they do they run out the way of the attackers. The "player controlled" defenders are too slow and attackers rarely get knocked off the ball just glide through.

High press, fast wingers and a strong striker is all you need no skill to it this year whatsoever.

Archived