Marcus Olsson

G STAR RAM

He has done as well as he can and deserves to keep his place currently but his instinct to stand off players and allow crosses into the box remains and he is and always will be the target of set pieces being delivered onto him in the air which he seldom wins and will always be a concern in any game

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, RamNut said:

Are you watching the highlights or the full match.

i ask because i bought a monthly subscription to allow me to watch the matchday live replay, but it doesn't work. So i can't watch it. 

I have a subscription too. I have just tried it and it isn't working for me either. I don't know if it's not up yet?

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I have a subscription too. I have just tried it and it isn't working for me either. I don't know if it's not up yet?

I watched it yesterday. It was difficult to find and not necessarily on the links they tell you. When I flick the lap top on I'll try to go through how to get to it.

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

Thanks - I  will try again. At the moment just getting a blank screen. To be fair although I paid the subscription this is the first time I have tried to use it.

I can't even keep up with all the free stuff on Rams TV.  I need to retire!

I'm the same, might end up having to cancel my sky subscription at this rate :lol:

28 minutes ago, angieram said:

Thanks - I  will try again. At the moment just getting a blank screen. To be fair although I paid the subscription this is the first time I have tried to use it.

I can't even keep up with all the free stuff on Rams TV.  I need to retire!

I've got it now. I was clicking the wrong link. :ph34r:

Thanks for the advice about it being hard to find @Gritters

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Just me that thinks he's a poor defender then.

He's still a work in progress and against stronger players he may struggle. His weakness in the air is well documented.

However, as a former left back myself, I must say I have been impressed with his play so far, especially on Friday night. I hope he continues in this vein.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Recorded the Sky game. Lots of chances down Olsson's side, he's never where you'd expect the fullback to be, want to play more like a wide mid - won't say winger cos his crossing is pants too.

Think your being harsh on him here.  The chances down his side were often due to Aina bombing forward, he can't exactly Mark both the winger and the fullback can he ? 

On a more general point I think he gives us a better balance right now and I actually think so does Baird. 

With Rowett wanting his forwards to play quite narrow when we are attacking and look to get into the box, it's important to have a fullback like olsson to give you width. 

I think what really has helped is that both Baird and Olsson are better in possession and better passers than their counterparts (Baird especially so). This has resulted in quite a lot less aimless punts (go compare last night to the game against sunderland) from the full backs and when the ball goes long now it is more often than not hitting it's target or at least being good enough to compete for. 

Given that we are only playing with two in midfield and pretty much 4 forwards, we perhaps need better passers in those full back positions so they can contribute more to build up play.

9 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

On a more general point I think he gives us a better balance right now and I actually think so does Baird. 

With Rowett wanting his forwards to play quite narrow when we are attacking and look to get into the box, it's important to have a fullback like olsson to give you width. 

I think what really has helped is that both Baird and Olsson are better in possession and better passers than their counterparts (Baird especially so). This has resulted in quite a lot less aimless punts (go compare last night to the game against sunderland) from the full backs and when the ball goes long now it is more often than not hitting it's target or at least being good enough to compete for. 

Given that we are only playing with two in midfield and pretty much 4 forwards, we perhaps need better passers in those full back positions so they can contribute more to build up play.

Quite sad I know but on Friday I was watching specifinally to see how many actual aimless punts there were other than from Carson. 

I only actually counted 4.

2 from Keogh and 1 each from Huddlestone and Johnson.

By aimless punts I mean a ball launched forward not aimed at a player.

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Quite sad I know but on Friday I was watching specifinally to see how many actual aimless punts there were other than from Carson. 

I only actually counted 4.

2 from Keogh and 1 each from Huddlestone and Johnson.

By aimless punts I mean a ball launched forward not aimed at a player.

They seem to be getting less frequent which is positive. Could be players getting match fit and used to the style a bit more. I do think having Baird and Olsson helps in this regard though.

Just now, brady1993 said:

They seem to be getting less frequent which is positive. Could be players getting match fit and used to the style a bit more. I do think having Baird and Olsson helps in this regard though.

Agreed. Wisdom does not do it so much but Forsyth is one of our worst offenders for aimless punts.

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Agreed. Wisdom does not do it so much but Forsyth is one of our worst offenders for aimless punts.

Ehh to be honest I think Wisdom has been pretty culpable for it at times and there has been quite a few occasions where the play has broken down due to Wisdom.

Personally I think I prefer Baird right now. 

LB is the forgotten position in football. It's often the weakest part of a team and I don't think you can say our league is littered with decent LBs.

Interesting exercise - who'd be in your top 10 LBs in the Pride Park era?

I'd bet both Olsson and Forsyth would be in most lists.

23 minutes ago, Duracell said:

LB is the forgotten position in football. It's often the weakest part of a team and I don't think you can say our league is littered with decent LBs.

Interesting exercise - who'd be in your top 10 LBs in the Pride Park era?

I'd bet both Olsson and Forsyth would be in most lists.

I probably couldn't even name 10 ?

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

Think your being harsh on him here.  The chances down his side were often due to Aina bombing forward, he can't exactly Mark both the winger and the fullback can he ? 

The most obvious chances perhaps, but he still was often missing or walkabout. Would you be happy with him as our first choice fullback all season, I wouldn't.

Archived