Marcus Olsson

G STAR RAM

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Quite sad I know but on Friday I was watching specifinally to see how many actual aimless punts there were other than from Carson. 

I only actually counted 4.

2 from Keogh and 1 each from Huddlestone and Johnson.

By aimless punts I mean a ball launched forward not aimed at a player.

Did aimless mean dispatched from our penalty area? if so I am ok with that

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The most obvious chances perhaps, but he still was often missing or walkabout. Would you be happy with him as our first choice fullback all season, I wouldn't.

That's fair enough, personally I would be happy provided he can keep this level of performance up. I think he helps give the side balance.

40 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The most obvious chances perhaps, but he still was often missing or walkabout. Would you be happy with him as our first choice fullback all season, I wouldn't.

Yes spot on he did go missing a lot we got away with it this time Would I be happy with him all season no but neither would I be with Fozzy at the moment thought he was really poor at Grimsby but think were expecting to much to soon of him

I never understood the over criticism of Olsson. I never held him in massively high regard, but thought he was decent and more than capable at this level. Let's be honest, we've haven't conceded a ton of goals since he signed, which points to him doing something right.

This season, he has been great in the bits I've seen. He won Blackburn's POTY award in 14/15 which shows he's got something, well in my mind anyway. It's not like he was a random punt that has never achieved anything prior to coming here. Also, he cost less than Abdoul Camara, so it's not like he's been an expensive mistake either.

The top sentence, I'd also like to reiterate for Anya too, if I may.

Given a choice between an in-form Forsyth and Olsson I would go for Fozzy - he's capable of providing good crosses but more importantly, he gives extra height to the back four in dealing with crosses from our left flank - we've conceded too many goals and chances through this route. However, he's still finding his form after a serious injury but until then I'm more than happy to see Olsson in the LB role 

26 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I never understood the over criticism of Olsson. I never held him in massively high regard, but thought he was decent and more than capable at this level. Let's be honest, we've haven't conceded a ton of goals since he signed, which points to him doing something right.

This season, he has been great in the bits I've seen. He won Blackburn's POTY award in 14/15 which shows he's got something, well in my mind anyway. It's not like he was a random punt that has never achieved anything prior to coming here. Also, he cost less than Abdoul Camara, so it's not like he's been an expensive mistake either.

The top sentence, I'd also like to reiterate for Anya too, if I may.

I largely agree.  I think his signing made complete sense at the time. We needed a more athletic attacking left back, olsson is a decent player at this level and the fee was cheap. 

Personally I think Anya is something of a different case. Anya is a reasonable player at this level who lacks end product as an attacking winger but is a very good wing back.  The problem was he was bought to be an attacking winger when we were OK for numbers in that position, he was no better than what we had and he was bought for a sizeable fee. 

Anya, like many players we've bought in the past few years, is a decent player we bought for the wrong reasons and overpaid for.

7 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

He's still a work in progress and against stronger players he may struggle. His weakness in the air is well documented.

However, as a former left back myself, I must say I have been impressed with his play so far, especially on Friday night. I hope he continues in this vein.

He's 29 years old. Not sure you can be called a work in progress at that age.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I thought the same at the time but there's no denying the defence has improved in his absence.

Coincidence or not?

I'd say not.

LBs in this league are over-analysed at this level - they're very rarely a strong point of any side in the Championship, and having an average one is no barrier to promotion.

I'd say Forsyth is right up there with the best of the league and even on a bad day on the ball, he's a mountain defensively. Olsson provides above average back up.

Olsson's great going forward but pretty suspect defensively - but there's often a stark trade off between those two things in our league when it comes to full backs.  

Archived