17/18 Loan Watch

California Ram.

6 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Carl thanks for that very interesting Zanala wasting his time there he's one I thought would make an impact

I agree. When you're a pacey striker, if you're on the bennch you at least expect the chance to come on and have the chance to make an impact. If you do you might start the next match.

Zanzala's come on three times, none since 6th Feb, twice in the 89th minute and once in the 74th. But I genuinely meant it that's it's rare for Stanley to make substitutions. That seems daft in the modern athletic game - surely you'd use all 14 at your disposal? But they are top of the league.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I agree. When you're a pacey striker, if you're on the bennch you at least expect the chance to come on and have the chance to make an impact. If you do you might start the next match.

Zanzala's come on three times, none since 6th Feb, twice in the 89th minute and once in the 74th. But I genuinely meant it that's it's rare for Stanley to make substitutions. That seems daft in the modern athletic game - surely you'd use all 14 at your disposal? But they are top of the league.

Yes that's a good point they are top so they aren't going to change much Just looks like he's at the right club at the wrong time 

12 hours ago, Mistaram said:

Carl thanks for that very interesting Zanala wasting his time there he's one I thought would make an impact

Interestingly  Z still feels he's really benefited from his loan. 

He's been training consistently with a promotion chasing team where it's extremely tough to break into the team even if you're on the bench and realistically if he wants to break through at Derby that's what he'll be up against! Also really he's been working pretty consistently with mostly the same few coaches and a lot of the same players for a few years with almost certainty he'll be in the U23s team,and a different setting and different situation he feels is helping him develop all round. 

Whether it pays off or not we will see

15 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Championship:

• Jason Shackell came off the bench in the 75th minute as Millwall won 0-2 at Barnsley to move into the Championship top ten, consolidating their late playoff push.
  • Chris Martin missed Reading's 3-2 defeat at Norwich due to illness.
  • Jacob Butterfield an unused sub in Sheffield Wednesday's 1-2 win at dirty Leeds.
  • Darren Bent an unusued sub in Burton's 3-1 defeat at Wolves.
  • Of course Craig Bryson can't play against us tomorrow, even if he is fit (haven't checked)

League One:

• Max Lowe was an unused substitute in Shrewsbury's 1-2 win at Scunthorpe, keeping them in the second automatic spot, but Wigan loom with games in gand due to their cup run.
  • Callum Guy played the full match  in midfield as Bradford lost 0-1 at home to Wigan.

League Two:

• The Accrington Stanley manager has a successful formula of never making substitutions. It seems to be working because their 3-1 win over Farrend Rawson's Forest Green Rovers took them to the top of the league, but it's no fun for Offrande Zanzala who spent the afternoon watching from the bench.
  • Charles Vernam was an unused substitute for Grimsby as they lost 3-1 at Lincoln and now sit one place above the Football League trapdoor.
  • Phil Brown has taken over as Swindon manager. His first game in charge was a win (remember them?) at Cambridge, 1-3. Timi Max Elsnik played the full game, Kellen Gordon coming off the bench in the 86th minute.
  • Not sure whether Mason Bennett has any chance of returning from injury for Notts this season. They're currently third in the last automatic place.

Eredivisie

• Emil Riis Jacobsen came off the bench in the 67th minute (for Romeo Castelen) but couldn't prevent VV Venlo losing away at PSV Eindhoven in the evening game. VVV were already down to ten men and went 1-0 immediately after he came on. The final score was 3-0.

Isreali League

• This league goes down to six teams (the playoff Championship) as the season nears its conclusion, and Nick Blackman's Macabi Tel Aviv are at home to Haifa in this at 7pm tomorrow.

I always forget someone. Who is it this time?

To correct you (sorry) it’s not vernam on the bench for Grimsby. It was vernon. I think our player is injured for the rest of the season

53 minutes ago, FrostedRam said:

To correct you (sorry) it’s not vernam on the bench for Grimsby. It was vernon. I think our player is injured for the rest of the season

Sorry! More haste less speed. I looked, saw he wasn't in but just before posting I spotted Vernon on the bench, had a senior moment and changed it. Thanks. You're right Charles wasn't playing and I know he's been injured. Hope it's not for the duration but I haven't looked into it.

On a serious note, a lot of our younger players seem to suffer from long-term or recurring injuries. Is this simply due to the demands of the modern game I wonder? Will Bennett, Lowe, Elsnik ever put a long run of games together? I hope so, but I do find it concerning.

24 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Guy looked assured in that first half. Would love to see him breaking into the first team. Playing alongside Huddlestone would only enhance his development. 

This is his 2nd impressive loan spell in league 1, would be nice for him to have a crack at our team next season as well as Elsnik.

On 3/17/2018 at 20:51, Carl Sagan said:

• Chris Martin missed Reading's 3-2 defeat at Norwich due to illness.w sit one place above the Football League trapdoor.

On 3/17/2018 at 20:54, David said:

3 games he has missed now through illness isn’t it?

On 3/17/2018 at 21:04, Carl Sagan said:

Not been following it. Is there more to this than meets the eye?

From the sounds of it he's either homesick or pregnant

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:30, smiths_tavrn said:

Callum Macdonald played full game for Barrow. Maidenhead United 0 Barrow 1.

Caught the end of tonights Barrow v Hartlepool game (on BT Sports), Macdonald was playing, Although Barrow lost I thought he looked like he had more about him, and the bits I saw he played well.

We went to Exeter v Swindon today. The ground is really strange as being re-developed and only two sides are in use. 

We were in the all-standing Big Bank with the Exeter fans. It was pretty full and there was a great singing section with a really rhythmic drummer and loads of flags (Exeter Ultras?!)

Swindon were pretty much in charge and went ahead with a well-crafted goal. Exeter hit back with a disallowed goal, a shot from close range and a penalty.  Swindon never got back into it second half and City scored a neat third to round things off.

This is the 4th time I've seen Swindon this season and the least effective I've seen them play. Elsnik was playing defensive midfield in a 4-4-2 and is completely wasted there. He was taken off in the early second half and replaced with a bulky bloke who created nothing. 

Gordon came on late and created one good cross but otherwise didn't get much service.

Interesting to see Dean Moxey playing at centre half and still doing a good job at this level.

Phil Brown will probably struggle to get this team promoted. Shame - they looked really bright under Flitcroft.

4 hours ago, angieram said:

We went to Exeter v Swindon today. The ground is really strange as being re-developed and only two sides are in use. 

We were in the all-standing Big Bank with the Exeter fans. It was pretty full and there was a great singing section with a really rhythmic drummer and loads of flags (Exeter Ultras?!)

Swindon were pretty much in charge and went ahead with a well-crafted goal. Exeter hit back with a disallowed goal, a shot from close range and a penalty.  Swindon never got back into it second half and City scored a neat third to round things off.

This is the 4th time I've seen Swindon this season and the least effective I've seen them play. Elsnik was playing defensive midfield in a 4-4-2 and is completely wasted there. He was taken off in the early second half and replaced with a bulky bloke who created nothing. 

Gordon came on late and created one good cross but otherwise didn't get much service.

Interesting to see Dean Moxey playing at centre half and still doing a good job at this level.

Phil Brown will probably struggle to get this team promoted. Shame - they looked really bright under Flitcroft.

You should go up for fan of the year.

45 minutes ago, angieram said:

Two more members of the Elsnik fan club on tonight's Pointless! 

2018-03-29 17.58.16.jpg

Someone needs to add the missing one to the half-fan!

Where are those damn photoshopists when you really need them?

29 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Someone needs to add the missing one to the half-fan!

Where are those damn photoshopists when you really need them?

I wouldn't insult Elsnik by associating him with that guy! He was asked to name a golfer who'd won at least two majors between 1950 and 2015 - he answered John McEnroe. His partner said "You cannot be serious!"

Archived