The boring Man City discussion

Jourdan

14 hours ago, Andicis said:

60 million for a player that isn't likely to start. That is ludicrous money Bris. I know you will defend City and Pep no matter what, but Mahrez isn't better than Sterling or Sane, why couldn't they put a youth player in as the extra man, or sign someone with potential? 

He may not start if City have all their best players available, but he’ll still get games.

If City had bought him for £30m, then would that be ok? I mean, Real Madrid bought Kovacic, Barca bought Paulinho and even Dembele, Bayern bought Tolisso. Every club has spent money on players who aren’t going to be regular first-teamers.

Is it City’s fault the market has gone mad in terms of fees when they don’t hold a transfer record or even have the biggest wage bill in the league?

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Patrick Roberts isn’t good enough. He’s closer to Tom Lawrence’s level than he is City’s first-team.

I agree in that it would be nice for them to bring youth players through, but they have to be good enough. You can’t just play anybody to try and make a point.

City aspire to be at Barca or Real Madrid’s level. Those clubs have sold far better youth players such as Thiago and Morata than Patrick Roberts over the past couple of years.

Last time he was linked you said you wouldn’t defend Man City for signing him, he’s not world class or worth £60m, but they did need a wide player as Sane was injured.

They went on to win the league without signing another winger.

I just can’t understand why Roberts isn’t given that crack at 4th choice, wingers are pretty adaptable these days can play both sides, we’re not talking about him being first choice but 4th. It’s only 5 months till the window closes again if they have an injury crisis.

But now Man City are likely to have over £100m worth of wingers on the bench, having had young players like Roberts and Harrison at the club.

Sad state of affairs when a player who isn’t good enough as 4th choice on Man City’s bench is off to a club chasing a place in Europe’s first team. 

15 minutes ago, David said:

Last time he was linked you said you wouldn’t defend Man City for signing him, he’s not world class or worth £60m, but they did need a wide player as Sane was injured.

They went on to win the league without signing another winger.

I just can’t understand why Roberts isn’t given that crack at 4th choice, wingers are pretty adaptable these days can play both sides, we’re not talking about him being first choice but 4th. It’s only 5 months till the window closes again if they have an injury crisis.

But now Man City are likely to have over £100m worth of wingers on the bench, having had young players like Roberts and Harrison at the club.

Sad state of affairs when a player who isn’t good enough as 4th choice on Man City’s bench is off to a club chasing a place in Europe’s first team. 

I'm not really defending it now. I'd prefer to see them sign a younger player for less to be honest. But I can see why they've bought a new winger and I don't think the fee is particularly their fault. That's just the market for you.

Roberts was nowhere near good enough. If one winger gets injured, you're left with Roberts as the only winger to potentially come on and change the game. He's miles away from being at that level.

The big clubs these days have such depth and quality when one first-teamer is injured, they can replace him with another. Let's not pretend that Roberts was at the same level as say Asensio.

It's easy to rely on youth when they're at a really good level or have massive potential.

• 2 weeks later...

Summer spending so far:

Liverpool £165m

Arsenal £70m

Man Utd £69m

City £60m

Chelsea £53m

Tottenham £0m

Liverpool have spent big. If they don’t finish on at least 80 points or win a trophy then you have to start questioning whether Klopp is really the right guy for them.

I’m surprised the others haven’t spent that much. Still a few weeks left in the window but surely now with pre-season underway you’d expect the big teams to have their business all-but done by now.

City need another holding midfielder. Fernandinho is 33, doubt he’ll be able to play three times a week and they have no other natural players there.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Summer spending so far:

Liverpool £165m

Arsenal £70m

Man Utd £69m

City £60m

Chelsea £53m

Tottenham £0m

Liverpool have spent big. If they don’t finish on at least 80 points or win a trophy then you have to start questioning whether Klopp is really the right guy for them.

I’m surprised the others haven’t spent that much. Still a few weeks left in the window but surely now with pre-season underway you’d expect the big teams to have their business all-but done by now.

City need another holding midfielder. Fernandinho is 33, doubt he’ll be able to play three times a week and they have no other natural players there.

Man City are also at £70m, Mahrez and Sandler.

3 hours ago, David said:

Man City are also at £70m, Mahrez and Sandler.

Sandler was quoted as £2.5m and bought as an academy player.

I was going off first-team squad only. No idea how much the others have spent on youths.

Interesting to see United relatively quiet too. £19m on a young fullback (when they have fullbacks in abundance) and then the £50m on a player who may not even get a game ahead of Matic, Pogba and Herrera.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/08/2017 at 23:35, Jourdan said:

As for City, already we can see their familiar problems coming to the fore.

I can see many other teams being able to frustrate them in the same way that Everton did and I can see teams like Chelsea and Spurs (and United on a good day) being able to stop them completely.

They eat up possession, they pass the ball well, they have great technical players, they keep coming and coming, they create chance after chance, but many teams will feel confident in being able to get a result against them. Much like Wenger, Pep has jumped on the back of this three at the back bandwagon, but without having the players to fit.

There isn't much of a natural goal threat there. With Spurs, you have to stop Kane, Alli, Eriksen and Son. With Chelsea, you have to stop Morata, Hazard, Willian and Pedro. With United, they have Lukaku, Rashford, Martial and Mkhitaryan. With City, you stop Aguero and it's half the battle won.

They have a lot of players who can create the chance but not many there who you want to be on the end of it. That's why they are trying to shoehorn Jesus and Aguero into the same team.

How did I miss this gem a year ago.

City were deserved winners today. I don't think they were excellent. They didn't have to be. The difference being they played with a cohesion and a clarity that Chelsea simply lacked.

They set the bar high last season and to be honest, they may not even have to reach those heights to win the league. The only team that looks like they mean business is Liverpool, and that is a depressing thought.

Chelsea looked miles away today, but it's not really a surprise. What a mess they have made of this pre-season. Sarri was appointed only weeks ago and he has really been hamstrung by all of the uncertainty at the club. It's such a shift in style of play that such disjointed performances are to be expected for the first few months, at least. I think this is a massive challenge and step up for him and I think he will need time to get his ideas across and certainly more investment in the playing squad.

Chelsea will need to be patient. For Sarri, it's a completely different environment compared to Napoli where he was working under no discernible pressure and was in his comfort zone. It was much easier to imprint his methods and perform above expectations. The atmosphere at Chelsea is far more ruthless. If he's given time, Chelsea will improve stylistically but I don't know if they will be able to compete with City and Liverpool. It looks a bridge too far at the moment.

Jorginho is an excellent player but you can see already that he too will need to adapt to the English game. The pace, the intensity, the physicality - it all looked too much for him today. He looked completely rattled by City's pressing and played within himself. He looked afraid to try things because he was worried about making a mistake.

I think once he settles and is aided by the return of Kante, he will really show people why he was considered one of the top midfielders in Italian football and only second to Pjanic in terms of quality and technical ability.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

I still think that not signing a defensive midfielder may come back to haunt them... Fernandinho looked poor at the World Cup. Gundogan can play there but he isn’t a natural fit.

PEP TARGETS MIDFIELDER

Pep Guardiola is trying to push through the signing of a holding midfielder before Thursday's transfer deadline.

"We are trying," he said after Sunday's 2-0 win against Chelsea in the Community Shield. "We would like to find maybe one more because we don't have two specific players to substitute Fernandinho. But if he doesn't come, there won't be anyone else."

I wonder who they could target? I reckon they may have looked at Vidal, but opted against it due to his injuries. I don't think there are that many options out there who can break up play, be open to passes all the time and shuffle the ball quickly.

It takes a pretty damn good player to be able to hold that position in a Guardiola team.

27 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

PEP TARGETS MIDFIELDER

Pep Guardiola is trying to push through the signing of a holding midfielder before Thursday's transfer deadline.

"We are trying," he said after Sunday's 2-0 win against Chelsea in the Community Shield. "We would like to find maybe one more because we don't have two specific players to substitute Fernandinho. But if he doesn't come, there won't be anyone else."

I wonder who they could target? I reckon they may have looked at Vidal, but opted against it due to his injuries. I don't think there are that many options out there who can break up play, be open to passes all the time and shuffle the ball quickly.

It takes a pretty damn good player to be able to hold that position in a Guardiola team.

Pjanic? Played the ‘regista’ role at Juve last year and is better defensively than Jorginho. 

Kovacic and Weigl could be other options. Pep’s the sort of manager to turn both of their careers around.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

PEP TARGETS MIDFIELDER

They will go for Verrati  from PSG.

They should have gone for Goretzka.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Title defence underway with an easy 0-2 win at Arsenal.

And De Bruyne, David Silva and Leroy Sane didn't even start the game. 

So?

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Title defence underway with an easy 0-2 win at Arsenal.

And De Bruyne, David Silva and Leroy Sane didn't even start the game. 

This 4-1-4-1 formation really suits them. Big fan of Bernardo Silva in this role, his work rate for a number 10 is immense. 

Archived