who to start upfront tomorrow

kyle mccabe

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, kyle mccabe said:

Martin's days are gone admit it. Hes slow,rubbish in the air and unles the team is designed around him is completely irrelevant 

The thing is, if it's the best for the team, fine.

My problem is when people seem so certain, so fanatical, in their dislike of players, that it feels as though they'd rather be proven right than Derby County be successful with their chosen scapegoat.

I happen to think the qualities which made Chris Martin a top player at this level remain intact and available to us. I'm happy for that to continue.

I don't care ! The only proviso is that it is a pair 

Martin - Nuge 

Nuge Vydra

Martin Vydra

the wide men ... Interesting .. Tom Lawrence got to be, but then is Weiman going to be as effective on the right ? Will he play switcheroo with the wingers ? He can't drop Weiman after 2 sound performances on the left ? Will he be really whacky and play Weiman as a 10. Is Johnnny on the bench to be released with 15 to go to fight for his place. 

Think Fozzy might get another game. Wisdom/Keogh/Davies unchanged 

exciting times but TBH as long as we do the 4231 then I am happy 

5 hours ago, jono said:

Martin - Nuge 

Nuge Vydra

Martin Vydra

the wide men ... Interesting .. Tom Lawrence got to be, but then is Weiman going to be as effective on the right ? Will he play switcheroo with the wingers ? He can't drop Weiman after 2 sound performances on the left ? Will he be really whacky and play Weiman as a 10. Is Johnnny on the bench to be released with 15 to go to fight for his place. 

I agree. 4-2-3-1.  I don't care who plays striker either between Nugent Martin or Mickey Mouse. We still need a better more frightful striker ... Jacobsen ? Z? As to Lawrence he MUST play. The surest way to demoralise the player is to bench him after this transfer  hoopla. Weimann is the new darling but frankly he's not very good. It's just running fast huff and puff. You got to play him on form but you know that in spite of Russell's lack of form he can always give you that moment of magic? Either is fine there. 

Olsson will deservedly play again and the others unchanged. Wisdom is best player so far.

I know I'm being petulant and pedantic, but couldn't this have been added to the matchday thread?  I've noticed this particular OP tends to start many a thread when there is already many a thread within which the immediate thought that may have entered his bonce could have been expressed.  

Anyway, having got that off my chest, I would start with Vydra and Nugent.  Not because I hate Martin or think he's rubbish, but because its a squad game and I think thus far we looked more effective (in three games only, so not exactly a huge sample of games on which to judge) with that combination.  Martin will have his time and will score us goals, but the way we seem to be set up at the moment doesn't suit his play.  I hope what GR said when he came in about adapting the team and system to who we are playing does happen, so that we have the opportunity to see the best of CM again.

Lawrence will definitely start IMO. If, as Rowett says, it's 'horses for courses', then the choices will be Forsyth or Olssen, Russell or Weimann and Nugent or Martin. I reckon he will play any combination of those and keep the rest of the team the same. Those that don't start today will start Tuesday in 'Floodgate 2 - Return of The Rams' 

I don't think Martin and Vryda would be as effective because Martin likes to come short. Nugent likes to press higher and stretch the game, this gives Vryda space in between the defense and the midfield to work in. If we're gonna play this way going forward I'm not sure how players like Martin/Bryson fit. If anything the other striker we have should be quick and can play on the shoulder.. Bryson just doesn't look comfortable anywhere across the 4-2-3-1.

Its time we move on and mould this new team. I think Rowett is doing a great job so far ? signings have all been superb

7 hours ago, jono said:

Martin - Nuge 

Nuge Vydra

Martin Vydra

Agree @jono it has to be a front two up top. I too am not that fussed which combination is utilised as long as we get the right result ??

Depends on their fitness of our players, personally I would be happy with any combination of Vydra Martin nugent, I would also hope that wieman can do well again ( his record for us suggests he may not) and I would keep Russell in and let Lawrence naturally fit in for either of those two from half time onwards- Bolton are very tall and set piece oriented so Forsyth needs to play instead of Ollson who simply can't win headers at the back post.

Archived