Tom Ince - Best wide player for 10 years? (With video)

DerbyGoals

Video I have put together of all 38 goals from Incey! Some absolute crackers...please watch and provide feedback etc..

1) After putting all these clips together, it got me thinking. Is Ince the best winger we have had in the last 10-12 years? I was a big fan of Tommy Smith and also Commons but Ince had that moment of magic that others didn't have in my opinion! 

2) Also what was your favourite Ince goal? Forest at home the clear one for me, but the goal away at Ipswich last season was sublime as was his brilliant free kick against West Brom!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think the idea that he's an individual and ruins a teams balance is a bit of a myth.

He never played in a cohesive attacking team outside a short window of his first few games on loan before Martin/every DM got injured. Arguably a spell under Wassall too. He looked fantastic then and was just as much in balance with the team as Dawkins, Russell or Ward at their best.

We could have been well balanced this season with him in the side but it was time for him to leave.

He's had some great moments nobody can argue with that, not watched the video, out of the 38 goals how many were team goals and how many individual goals?

He's a better player than Jamie Ward but I would argue Ward had as much impact and was great as an individual when we were struggling and as part of a team when we got our act together.

One positive for people still upset by the move, we won't have to put up with his kn0b h3ad of a dad as a pundit for our televised games.

Yes he did well for us but as bris said as a team we were more productive with wide play of ward and Russell but it's a different time different people scenario but with Ince it's a shame that he has only been tested with us in the 2nd tier of football but we did enjoy the goals he scored, you can't just find a wide player to replace the goals we need balance any newcomer with what else they bring to the team

Definitely the best winger we've had since I've been watching without doubt imo, the technical skill he showed was immense. His impact on the game was game changing on many occasions, And I think to replace someone as consistent as him is going to very difficult. Still remember his debut against Bolton, for the moment that free kick went I, in knew we had something special

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

He's had some great moments nobody can argue with that, not watched the video, out of the 38 goals how many were team goals and how many individual goals?

He's a better player than Jamie Ward but I would argue Ward had as much impact and was great as an individual when we were struggling and as part of a team when we got our act together.

I always liked the way ward got straight into the defender's face, never shying away and almost immediately the defender makes a stupid challenge gets booked then ward has freedom to do anything it was the highlight of the first twenty minutes of every game, it's a shame he couldn't maintain full fitness but we have missed him these past two seasons which is disappointing 

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I always liked the way ward got straight into the defender's face, never shying away and almost immediately the defender makes a stupid challenge gets booked then ward has freedom to do anything it was the highlight of the first twenty minutes of every game, it's a shame he couldn't maintain full fitness but we have missed him these past two seasons which is disappointing 

A proper winger that could beat his man inside and outside.

Used to infuriate me with his shots from ridiculous angles and distances.

Also felt in his last season with us, he had lost his burst of speed and it was time for him to go.

Technically not even close to Ince, but in terms of impact for our club more than his equal I would say.

7 hours ago, Sparkle said:

What's irritating about Ward is whilst it was correct to let him go we haven't bought a winger since that has been close to as good (except ince of course).

Bamford had a totally free role with Wisdom having to sit in place and Jeff covering for Bamford defensively. 

Any footballer can be in a balanced side. 

He spent much of his time under Clement doing a job and it was Christie who was a POTS front runner.

Ince was the best technical player we've had for over a decade. The most exciting to watch, always consistent. Great goals, great assists and great overall team play. Worked his socks off every game and tried to drive the team forward.

sadly the team was pants around you and couldn't stay fit to put out our best most balanced side since you've been here

over to you GR to find a replacement. Good luck with that!

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Bamford had a totally free role with Wisdom having to sit in place and Jeff covering for Bamford defensively. 

Any footballer can be in a balanced side. 

He spent much of his time under Clement doing a job and it was Christie who was a POTS front runner.

Agreed. It also raises the point that with Wisdom at right back we should target some one who benefits from being a more 'free spirit'. 

I don't think hes a better winger than Commons tbh but I've greatly enjoyed his time here and have much less negative to say about him than many others seem to.

Archived