Glastonbury - new lows!

WharfedaleRam

43 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Is that such a bad thing? Imagine if he'd grown up and decided to waste his life making tenuous and futile posts about all walls being the same just because they are walls - regardless of what purpose they serve.

You stick up for Trump while complaining that Corbyn  "is offering idealistic and ill considered bunkum". :huh:

Developing no wisdom over the years? It's pretty bad if you want to be the prime minister. 

Donald Trumps walls purpose - a barrier to keep people out.

Michael Eavis' walls purpose - a barrier to keep people out.

So what's tenuous and futile?

I stick up for Trump against people who lie, slander, act like ideologues and obsess over him, and because such people need to be offended as much as possible until society is purged of giving a **** about their offence taking. And above all else, I defend him against people who'd rather have Hillary chuffing Clinton. Don't remember offering an opinion on whether I regard him to be idealistic or not consider things. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Kennington Ram said:

I'm not going to get into a pedantic debate about why Glastonbury being a temporarily walled, ticketed event (key bit, event) and why building an enormous wall spanning your entire nation are different.

But if you think Trump's completely unfeasible wall is actually to keep 'freeloading undesirables', as opposed to riling up his fans and pissing off his neighbours, I've got a bridge to sell you too. 

I don't think anyone said Glastonbury is environmentally friendly on balance (although  taking a picture at the worst  possible moment is a very easy way to make a cheap point), this is worth a read on the idiotic Trump wall:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/mg9eaq/wall-on-mexico-border-would-be-an-ecological-disaster

So not only are consumer rights more deserving of protection than citizenship, now temporary events are more deserving of protection that nation states?

The screaming harpies objection (like Vice, and Corbyn - why do we need a bridge from the US to Mexico?) to the wall was an ideological one, not a pragmatic one. The wall is waaaycist. Well, what's Glasto's wall - classist?

Considering we're actually talking about Corbyn and not Trump who has been riling up their fans? With nonsense points that sound very nice when you don't think about them but are nevertheless nonsense?

6 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

So not only are consumer rights more deserving of protection than citizenship, now temporary events are more deserving of protection that nation states?

The screaming harpies objection (like Vice, and Corbyn - why do we need a bridge from the US to Mexico?) to the wall was an ideological one, not a pragmatic one. The wall is waaaycist. Well, what's Glasto's wall - classist?

Considering we're actually talking about Corbyn and not Trump who has been riling up their fans? With nonsense points that sound very nice when you don't think about them but are nevertheless nonsense?

The two aren't even linked though. The two serve entirely separate purposes in practice. Citizenship and event management  arent related other than use of same concept of a barrier. Am a hypocrite for resenting Trump's wall but owning a front door to my house?

Never said the wall is racist, just thick as ****. But I guess Glastonbury is classist in the same sense as allowing a limited number of people into flights - you're allowed to think it's wrong poorer people struggle while using it yourself.

I suppose one way of avoiding playing the ball is playing the man, and bogging us all down with pedantic questions of the philosophy of walls is a great way of avoiding the idea people there might want to live in a different world.

This is the amongst the dullest discussions I've had in years.

5 minutes ago, Kennington Ram said:

The two aren't even linked though. The two serve entirely separate purposes in practice. Citizenship and event management  arent related other than use of same concept of a barrier. Am a hypocrite for resenting Trump's wall but owning a front door to my house?

Never said the wall is racist, just thick as ****. But I guess Glastonbury is classist in the same sense as allowing a limited number of people into flights - you're allowed to think it's wrong poorer people struggle while using it yourself.

I suppose one way of avoiding playing the ball is playing the man, and bogging us all down with pedantic questions of the philosophy of walls is a great way of avoiding the idea people there might want to live in a different world.

This is the amongst the dullest discussions I've had in years.

That entirely depends on your reasoning. A great many of the critics I've heard would indeed be hypocrites for that very reason.

Jeremy Corbyn raised the issue of walls and bridges. Not me. If you did a vox pop of the Glastonbury crowd about why they don't like Trumps wall how far do you think "it's racist" would be near the top?

Its boring you that Corbyn is decrying walls based on a slogan written on a wall that is benefitting him and his Glastonbury friends is it? I think it's funny myself.

2 hours ago, Kennington Ram said:

On a separate Glastonbury note, now Katy Perry has cut her hair she's neither talented nor massively attractive.

I saw a documentary a while back where she was shown without any make-up - brave of her, but to be honest she was a bit of a moose....

16 hours ago, StringerBell said:

Its boring you that Corbyn is decrying walls based on a slogan written on a wall that is benefitting him and his Glastonbury friends is it? I think it's funny myself.

You still banging on about this? :lol:

I guess we're all a bit bored waiting for the season to start. I can't wait to get through those Pride Park turnstiles*

* the evil classist ones that benefit me and my fellow bourgeoius Rams fans

21 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

Watched Ed Sheeran last night. Say what you like about Coldplay but their show last year was interesting and got Barry Gibb and Michael Eavis on stage. Sheeran's set list was pretty boring and predictable.

I watched Sheeran for about 45 minutes before I gave up - it was just lacking something (don't think one bloke and a guitar can work on a big stage with such a huge audience) - I'm afraid having to follow the previous 2 nights headliners (Radiohead & Foo Fighters) didn't help either.

All a bit of an anti-climax in my opinion (particularly after watching Nile Rodgers & Chic earlier - not a disco fan in the slightest but  they certainly put on a good show....)

56 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

You still banging on about this? :lol:

I guess we're all a bit bored waiting for the season to start. I can't wait to get through those Pride Park turnstiles*

* the evil classist ones that benefit me and my fellow bourgeoius Rams fans

'You still banging on about this?' he says to a post from 16 hours ago. You can pretend you're above it all and the conversation isn't worth having if you want, but I'll remind you that you first brought Corbyns amazing speech to my attention so you're obviously quite happy to talk about it as long as we wax lyrical about the dear leader, and you still can't resist making a point in your 'you still banging on about this' post anyway. So I don't think you're being genuine there pal.

You also conflate things to make your point - 

I never said that Glastonbury walls were classist, but they must be classist if Trumps wall is racist. It's the same principle. That's what I said.

Also, I never said having barriers is bourgeois. Corbyn and the Glastonbury crowd seem to have (selective) problems with barriers to keep people out. I completely understand what barriers are for and have no problem with Glastonburys wall, just as I don't with Trumps wall in principle. So 'borgeuois Rams fans'? 

24 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I watched Sheeran for about 45 minutes before I gave up - it was just lacking something (don't think one bloke and a guitar can work on a big stage with such a huge audience) - I'm afraid having to follow the previous 2 nights headliners (Radiohead & Foo Fighters) didn't help either.

All a bit of an anti-climax in my opinion (particularly after watching Nile Rodgers & Chic earlier - not a disco fan in the slightest but  they certainly put on a good show....)

In fairness, he got a bit better at the end - and I do think he's definitely very talented, what he does with building a track from the loop pedal is interesting.

But it got a bit samey and some of his new songs (Galway Girl in particular) are rubbish. He needed some special guests and a backing band to make things more interesting.

Archived