Bradley Johnson

catram

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

We lack physicality in midfield when Johnson isn't there, especially without a DM. 

I think he actually finished the season very well. If he were to move on, we'd have to improve the muscle in the midfield. Butterfield/Bryson/Hughes just seem to struggle when they play together 

I agree that last season without Johnson in the middle we lacked physicality and it was necessary for him to be first choice. 

If it was up to me I'd sell Johnson though, and look to bring in somebody as CDM cover and an athletic box to box midfielder who can carry the ball well like Hendrick did when he was here

Thorne coming back will cover Johnson's physicality, if he was to go. Maybe not initially, but eventually.

Can't believe how much of a fuss this dross article has kicked up though. People complained last season about a lack of aerial threat, and Bradley was the only one in last season's midfield that could actually compete for a header. Short memories.

Would be unhappy if we sold Johnson, when thorne isn't fit we don't have anyone that can provide that strength in the middle of the park to allow the more technical players to play. Think people often do Johnson a disservice, he reads the game very well imo in terms of anticipation, without him there as the defensive shield we'd have been cut open many times last season. While he ain't a nessercerily brilliant passer, he's generally competent enough at short passing, and can sometimes play some blinding cross field balls. 

Obviousy ideally we'll have thorne playing and won't need him, but thorne will certainly initially struggle to play every game I suspect, so Johnson is an excellent stand in who we should keep im

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Slightly off topic I know, but while we're discussing our central midfielders, are we all in agreement that, should Will Hughes leave, Jacob Butterfield could potentially become a much more important player for us? We'd get the best out of Butterfield if we sat him next to a proper defensive midfielder in a midfield two.

Butterfield was quality in the holding role against Wolves, he ran the ran the game , I still rate Butterfield, technically he's brilliant just needs some coaching on his decision making. 

This is one player that i would love to sell this summer i do not want a player in a derby shirt talking highly about an old club that he played for YOU ARE OUT OF ORDER Bradley just remember when you go to your bank to take some money out it derby county that pays your wages m8 YOU GIT

If McClaren was still here then I would entertain the possibility of us selling him. However, Rowett seems to be wanting to build a team that is reactive rather than on the front foot so I think we could see the best of BJ this season because he wouldn't be required to be as technically good as he did in a McClaren team.

No problem with Bradley interview. He gives everything for the Derby shirt and is a professional. However agree with the earlier comment, he's very much a confidence player and when we were looking for him to be a big character in some games, he was missing (Cardiff for eg when he was subbed, there were other games too), yet in the Forest games he was brilliant.

Overall, bad signing so far given what we paid, he was the wrong signing to make and entirely not his fault, I think he's done his best for us but at times has been lacking. I think we should sell if we get right personnel in, but if Rowett can get a season out of him like he had for Norwich, I'll be delighted for him and happily chant his name.

Tbh i dont care what he says in the papers about being open to play for norwich again,not in the slightest

what im bothered about is do i think he can help get us to where we want to be

Me and my dad argue about him constatntly and to put it quite simply i would drive him to Norwich tomorrow if need be

just dont rate the guy, mr smack bang average

i went to every home game (bar one cos of the nottingham beer festival)  and just from opposition midfielders i can name ten straight off the top of my head id rather have. 

Iv seen many a good derby midfielder, going back to the likes of gregory, hebbard geriant williams and onwards all varying skillsets and attributes over the years and im sorry folks but imo he doesnt have what it takes to get us up pure and simple 

1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

Butterfield was quality in the holding role against Wolves, he ran the ran the game , I still rate Butterfield, technically he's brilliant just needs some coaching on his decision making. 

...and then he was absolutely pants in the next game.

frustrating player.

1 hour ago, cymru said:

This is one player that i would love to sell this summer i do not want a player in a derby shirt talking highly about an old club that he played for YOU ARE OUT OF ORDER Bradley just remember when you go to your bank to take some money out it derby county that pays your wages m8 YOU GIT

Grow up, pal

I don't see Johnson leaving. The one player that GR picked every game. Same goes for Butterfield, I got the feeling GR likes him, as a squad player at least. I really do fear for Hughes if I'm honest. He's the one you'd imagine we could get a decent fee for and considering the way GR wants us to play, he'd be the easiest to cope without. 

Personally I wouldn't change our midfielders. They all offer something different, this is assuming Thorne returns. We were brilliant a couple of years ago with George, Johnson and Butters as the three. Top of the league. Good balance in there. It fell apart when Bryson and Hughes were brought back in. Not because of them as such, but because we have only ever seen since then, a random midfield every week, with none of our 37 managers in that time able to stick to a consistent midfield. They all seem to like to change it up every other game. 

Our most successful period last season came when Mac finally settled on a three of Johnson, Hughes and Butterfield. We were very effective, went on a superb run and then bizarrely brought in De Sart and started meddling again. 

The wide positions let us down last season. I don't count Ince in that as he spends most of the game tucked inside. We lacked a wide threat. And then for me, the biggest issue was up front. Whilst Nugent and Bent do score goals, neither are the answer as the 'one' up there. They don't perform that role well enough and Bent especially offers nothing else outside the box. 

I am praying Martin returns. Best deal this summer if he's back and up front. 

In essence, it's all about Thorne and Martin for me. And retaining Ince.

Just my thoughts.

Its amazing to me how suddenly Will Hughes is a player we can do without.

its ironic if the over indulgence in buying players who have failed to deliver consistently  - johnson, butterfield, anya, weimann, camara - etc means we have a surplus of players, and therefore we ditch the best one!

30 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Its amazing to me how suddenly Will Hughes is a player we can do without.

its ironic if the over indulgence in buying players who have failed to deliver consistently  - johnson, butterfield, anya, weimann, camara - etc means we have a surplus of players, and therefore we ditch the best one!

Ahhh, the old 'Johnson and Butterfield have not done anything' myth. It's a popular misconception on here. 

Pray tell what has Hughes done in the time the other two have been here? 

But as I made clear above, I wouldn't sell any of them. 

42 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Ahhh, the old 'Johnson and Butterfield have not done anything' myth. It's a popular misconception on here. 

Been injured. Played as well (and better) than Butterfield and sometimes Johnson. They're meant to be in their prime, Hughes is starting to step up. Where's the myth?

3 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

But as I made clear above, I wouldn't sell any of them. 

Exactly. In midfield we have an indulgence of riches. There are plenty of good players there, and I agree we'll live without Hughes. 

Out wide, we have an indulgence of cack. With the exception of Russell and Ince, players like Anya, Blackman, Camara have never really excited out wide - with any team they've been at. They simply aren't good enough, hence why keeping Ince is so vital if Hughes goes.

If we do get our £10m for Hughes and Christie, hopefully we stop shopping in the bargain bucket of decrepit old stars and start looking to younger players with more to prove.

Just now, SouthernRam said:

If we do get our £10m for Hughes and Christie, hopefully we stop shopping in the bargain bucket of decrepit old stars and start looking to younger players with more to prove.

Yeah, someone like Hughes?!

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Been injured. Played as well (and better) than Butterfield and sometimes Johnson. They're meant to be in their prime, Hughes is starting to step up. Where's the myth?

It's been whitewashed on here bizarrely, but Butterfield had a superb first season, scoring 8 goals and figuring week in week out until Wassell got the job. Last season wasn't as good for him, he was no worse than Hughes though. Both had good, bad and indifferent games, owing much to the myriad positions they were asked to play in under the 17 managers we had.. Same for Bradley.

Archived