What would your perfect summer transfer window be?

RamsPolls

In the past 3 seasons we have been accused of over spending on average players. This year under Rowett we seem to be looking for diamonds in the rough and plucking decent players for either free or minimal fee's. 

George Boyd, Curtis Davies & Andre Wisdom all for under £2.5m would be stupidly good business. All of those players would walk into any championship team. 

If you were Gary Rowett, who would you sell and who would you bring in? Please put values of the players by the side of your options, see if you can bring in some serious talent and still balance the books.

Didn't know whether to put this in transfer talk or Rams Talk - Please sort out if need mate @rynny :D 

Mine would be this -

Sell - 

Bryson - £1.5m - Any lower league championship club, maybe Burton. 

Christie - £2m - Sheffield United or Sunderland

Keogh - £5m - Sheffield Wednesday

Camara - £1m - Any french club that comes in for him.

Butterfield - £2.5m - Maybe back to Barnsley for him. 

Pearce - £1m - Bristol City

Ins -

Wisdom - £2m

Davies - £500K

Ledley - £0

Boyd - £0

Flint - £5m OR Hanley - £5m

I couldn't decide between Flint or Hanley. If we sell Keogh I feel we will need another CB.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sell (£19.9m) - 

Christie - £2m

Keogh - £5m 

Pearce - £700K

Bryson - £1.5m

Butterfield - £3m

Camara - £1m 

Russell - £2.5m

Blackman - £1.5m

Weimann - £2.2m 

Bent - £500K

Ins (£7.5m) -

Wisdom - £2m

Davies - £500K

Manga - £0

Ledley - £0

Boyd - £0

Lawrence - £1m

Sako - £2.5m

Watkins - £1.5m

12.4m profit there.

Would leave us with a 22 man squad with Roos, Rawson, Lowe etc as youth backups

2 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

@DCFC1388 - Good post mate. However I think Sako & Watkins would be around £5m & £4m respectively.

Cant see anyone paying 4m for Watkins, if that was the case you would assume we could get a similar price for Russell + Weimann. 

Sako now has 1 year left on his deal and Palace previously quoted 4m

But even at your prices that would be over £7m profit

Just now, DCFC1388 said:

Cant see anyone paying 4m for Watkins, if that was the case you would assume we could get a similar price for Russell + Weimann. 

Sako now has 1 year left on his deal and Palace previously quoted 4m

Fair enough. Would happily pay anything around them prices for them 2 players. The only problem is going to be getting them players out of the club. 

18 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

In the past 3 seasons we have been accused of over spending on average players. This year under Rowett we seem to be looking for diamonds in the rough and plucking decent players for either free or minimal fee's. 

George Boyd, Curtis Davies & Andre Wisdom all for under £2.5m would be stupidly good business. All of those players would walk into any championship team. 

If you were Gary Rowett, who would you sell and who would you bring in? Please put values of the players by the side of your options, see if you can bring in some serious talent and still balance the books.

Didn't know whether to put this in transfer talk or Rams Talk - Please sort out if need mate @rynny :D 

Mine would be this -

Sell - 

Ins -

Wisdom - £2m

Davies - £500K

Ledley - £0

Boyd - £0

I couldn't decide between Flint or Hanley. If we sell Keogh I feel we will need another CB.

What's the point of selling Keogh for £5m then buying inferior replacements (Flint or Hanley) for a similar fee. Those 2 are nowhere near as good as RK.

21 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Mine would be this -

Sell - 

Ins -

Wisdom - £2m

Davies - £500K

Ledley - £0

Boyd - £0

If we sell Keogh to a championship rival and buy a donkey like flint or hanley for the same fee I'll despair.

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

What's the point of selling Keogh for £5m then buying inferior replacements (Flint or Hanley) for a similar fee. Those 2 are nowhere near as good as RK.

Well that's a matter of opinion... Flint isn't as good at the moment but has the potential and age to improve. Hanley you could argue is the same level as Keogh and is younger. 

Perfect summer would be bringing in Messi, Ronaldo, Griezmann, Aubameyang on free transfers, selling Russell and Blackman for £50m each, £90m for Ince, and £150m for Camara.

I would keep Keogh just to bust the myth that we would never be promoted with Keogh in the team.

Just now, David said:

Perfect summer would be bringing in Messi, Ronaldo, Griezmann, Aubameyang on free transfers, selling Russell and Blackman for £50m each, £90m for Ince, and £150m for Camara.

I would keep Keogh just to bust the myth that we would never be promoted with Keogh in the team.

Always the witty one aren't you David...<_<

Also, based on my team...not including youth players like Roos, Lowe, Rawson etc but including Davies as he has signed the current average age at the start of the season now is 28.2. After the transfers I suggested the average age would be 27.8, so a slight decrease in average age, a decent profit, more physicality, more quality and a fresh look to the team!

My ideal window would be to get our targets in before pre-season so that Rowett has the whole of Pre-season to shape the squad. And not having to wait for players to leave before we buy.

There is no sense starting the season with players in the team who know they aren't in the plans (Martin last season for example). Or buying players last day of the window and spending a month trying to integrate them into the team.

50 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Sell - 

Ins -

Wisdom - £2m

Davies - £500K

Ledley - £0

Boyd - £0

Why would we pay £5 million for Aden Flint or Grant Hanley and sell players who have been first team regulars for us as a top 10 side for a fraction of the price? We have to use the market to our advantage too. While it's true we don't have many players who will command large transfer fees, we can't just give these players away.

If we sell Keogh for £5 million and pay £5 million for Flint or Hanley and sign all of those players you listed, I don't think those accusations of poor transfer business will go away.

For starters, we already have a very high wage bill with many players earning in excess of £20,000 a week. It seems counter-intuitive to sign the likes of Ledley and Boyd, who will be coming from Premier League clubs on Premier League-level wages. I also suspect if we are going to sell Keogh, it'll be so we can invest that money in other areas of the team. We are not going to sell Keogh and then buy a lesser replacement for the same price. Again, it seems counter-intuitive.

Curtis Davies is an excellent first signing - he is an upgrade on Pearce and Shackell and will bring experience, leadership and nous. But that type of signing shouldn't be the norm. It isn't going to help us to trim the wage bill or balance the books. There is a ceiling for these types of players too because they have peaked. Boyd and Ledley would surely help us in getting out of the division but beyond that, where can they take us? Curtis Davies and David Nugent are excellent additions but you can't fill an entire squad with players of that type. You need more of a balance. 

This would be far from the perfect transfer window. Such business would create more problems than they solve. I will add my ideas later...

@Jourdan - I get what you're saying. But who's saying that Keogh is better than Flint or Hanley? What has Keogh done in the past 2/3 seasons that puts him in the bracket above them 2? They've played in the same league for the past 2 years. Hanley was specifically identified by Newcastle to be apart of their promotion winning team to take them back to the premier league. Why would they buy a player, one that you're saying isn't better than a player who has finished top 10, to get them into the premier league? If he's not as good as Keogh then Newcastle wouldn't have wanted him. Flint I can understand as he is playing for a smaller club. But he has the potential to be a very good defender in this league. 

Archived