Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

1 minute ago, Kamikaze said:

He was one of our own, joined so young and by far the best youth product we made in last couple of decades, as classy player a they come... no doubt this hurts, but in the cold light of day it's understandable giving our failure of not reaching the premier league.

It'll never feel right not seeing him in a Derby kit, and I'll always think of him as the kid who got away! 

I'll always think of him as the kid we gave away because we never had a manager intelligent enough to use him correctly.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the stuff I'm reading on here tonight is absolutely ******* ridiculous. 

The stuff being said against Rowett is atrocious. I hope he reads this forum so he can get an understanding of how utterly poisonous some of our fans are (if he didn't know already) I'd jump ship whilst I had the chance if I was him. 

We need a clear out. Everyone was more than happy when we found out that it was all down to Rowett to make decisions on transfers. Now he's got rid of our supposed "boy wonder" the boy that can do no wrong all of a sudden he's "Phil Brown Mark 2" and its a "massive worry he can't spot how good Will is" 

Im sure he has spotted Wills talents. Im sure he's fully aware of what he brought to Derby.

Maybe Will signed this deal last season with an agreement that if a premier league club comes in we won't stand in his way. Maybe he expressed a desire to go and test himself in the big league. 

Its not all down to Derby building a team round him. He's got to want to be here. 

Or maybe he's watched Will over the last 3 years and realised he's stagnating and whilst his ability to control a game can't be called into question the amount of times he does control a game is nowhere near as often as he should be. 

It's unbelievable how we needed a clear out, wanted our manager to get control and do what he wants to do. Now he has and we've sold someone some of us aren't happy about the abuse comes out. 

Mel Morris as well. The abuse he's getting is honestly making me wonder why we bother? How lucky we are to have a man who owns our club that grew up on the terraces watching us who has us at heart running the club he loves. 

Maybe we should go back to the Americans? The 3 amigos? Fawaz is out of work maybe we should ask him to tle over? Or the Venkys maybe?

Seeing our fans say "I don't care what happens at Derby County anymore" and "I'm ashamed to support Derby County" is disgusting.

We've sold a good player with the potential to be very good for 8 million. A player who hasn't performed as his ability suggests he should have in recent times. 

If you don't care what happens to us because of this. Then you aren't a fan. Go and support something else.

There are over 2 months left of the transfer window. We don't know whos coming who's going or what our line up would be by the end of August. We haven't kicked a ball yet and Rowett is getting stick and ive seen people on twitter wanting him to resign. Some of our fans are horrific. 

I'd love to see us go up more than ever. Just so Rowett can stick it to the clueless ***** who are laying into him already.

I have a friend who supports Watford and for a long time now he has been staggered by our supporters. 

Sometimes I despair with our fans. 

5 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Fans from Stoke, Wolves, Brum, Villa, and  West Brom asking me why we've given away the best player outside the premier league.

Its a ******* joke.

Bet they've all seen him play well on sky a couple of times.

Or have they all got season tickets here and watch him play week in week out? 

Just now, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Bet they've all seen him play well on sky a couple of times.

Or have they all got season tickets here and watch him play week in week out? 

No. Ive got a season ticket though and ive seen him play week in week out and im gutted weve given him away.

We all knew it was time for him to go - infact, we all knew he stayed a couple of seasons too long.

I had a tear in my eye reading his goodbye - but bloody hell, he needed to go for his sake.  We're just selfish wanting him to stay.   He's done what's right for him. Good luck to him. 

That loss at Wembley cost us a hell of a lot.

3 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Your argument doesn't hold much water; just because we were daft enough to shell out inflated transfer fees for average players does not mean other clubs will. It is also very simplistic to compare the transfer of Burke to that of Hughes different clubs different scenarios different circumstances.

Im not arguing

Im expressing an emotion

im Saying im dismayed, dismayed by the reletively low transfer fee for such a talented young english player when many others go for much more and have done or shown a lot less

the players mentioned were simply top of my head examples, im pretty confident i could name about another 20 that would make young willy look rather cheap and justify emotion on this subject

iv said several times not a problem woth him going, apart from its left a big hole in my heart lol, but in todays market we've had our pants pulled down a bit. 

But its happend, we move on

6 hours ago, StringerBell said:

I'm glad it's put a smile on your face, but I've already seen it and I think it'll be a few years before I can bring myself to watch it again. We can replace him and become a better team, but we'll probably not see a midfielder with his natural qualities again until we're out of this league, and even then...

It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. Will go down as a derby legend in my eyes... I'll certainly be looking out for him next season.

I think it's the fact we're giving him away which is the toughest part to understand.

If Hughes wanted a PL move that's fine. If he felt disillusioned here after a few years of near-misses that's fine.

Most recognise he deserves a shot at PL.

What most can't fathom though is Derby practically giving him away.

There seemed little negotiation on our side, and no talk coming out of the club in order to warn off suitors or at least drive his price up.

It smacks of us basically saying we don't want him and we're happy for him to leave.

I just don't understand why... Why would you possibly want to sell him?

Even if we needed to move players on for FFP purposes, at least get a better deal for your most prized asset.

We have just let one of the best players outside the PL at 22 leave for about a quarter of the amount Sunderland received for England's seventh choice goalkeeper.

Don't mind Will leaving but aghast at the fee and disappointed by the destination club. A lot of people expect Watford to struggle next year. Interestingly someone with very good Derby contacts told me Brighton were sniffing around too. Of course it's tough for a first-year promoted club, but I feel Watford aren't a lot better.

We all saw from when Rowett took over that for whatever reason he didn't fancy Hughes and did not want to select him. For next season Hughes was unlikely to be a starter, so had no choice but to leave. I think Rowett is bonkers and the decision to hardly play Will last year knocked many millions off his transfer valuation. Had he been the main man in Rowett's midfield he'd surely have commanded a fee or three or four times more tha we've apparently received.

From Hughes' perspective he has to leave when the manager has shown he doesn't rate him. But I would have hoped he'd have waited till after the Euros (he'll probably score the winner in the final now) and pressed for his beloved Liverpool or someone else to come in. There's a long summer still to go and clubs get desperate as we near dealine day. Look at us with Bradley Johnson!

The 15% sell-on is really low when the initial transfer fee is also so low. I always thought if/when we sold Will we'd at least have a massive war chest at our disposal to rebuild the entire team.

Football teams do well when the team is right and has that magic chemistry that makes them click. I hope Rowett has a way of finding it with worse players but who slot together better for whatever reason. Time will tell. But whatever happens we've allowed ourselves to be robbed as a club.

24 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

The stuff being said against Rowett is atrocious. I hope he reads this forum so he can get an understanding of how utterly poisonous some of our fans are (if he didn't know already) I'd jump ship whilst I had the chance if I was him. 

We need a clear out. Everyone was more than happy when we found out that it was all down to Rowett to make decisions on transfers. Now he's got rid of our supposed "boy wonder" the boy that can do no wrong all of a sudden he's "Phil Brown Mark 2" and its a "massive worry he can't spot how good Will is" 

Im sure he has spotted Wills talents. Im sure he's fully aware of what he brought to Derby.

Maybe Will signed this deal last season with an agreement that if a premier league club comes in we won't stand in his way. Maybe he expressed a desire to go and test himself in the big league. 

Its not all down to Derby building a team round him. He's got to want to be here. 

Or maybe he's watched Will over the last 3 years and realised he's stagnating and whilst his ability to control a game can't be called into question the amount of times he does control a game is nowhere near as often as he should be. 

It's unbelievable how we needed a clear out, wanted our manager to get control and do what he wants to do. Now he has and we've sold someone some of us aren't happy about the abuse comes out. 

Mel Morris as well. The abuse he's getting is honestly making me wonder why we bother? How lucky we are to have a man who owns our club that grew up on the terraces watching us who has us at heart running the club he loves. 

Maybe we should go back to the Americans? The 3 amigos? Fawaz is out of work maybe we should ask him to tle over? Or the Venkys maybe?

Seeing our fans say "I don't care what happens at Derby County anymore" and "I'm ashamed to support Derby County" is disgusting.

We've sold a good player with the potential to be very good for 8 million. A player who hasn't performed as his ability suggests he should have in recent times. 

If you don't care what happens to us because of this. Then you aren't a fan. Go and support something else.

There are over 2 months left of the transfer window. We don't know whos coming who's going or what our line up would be by the end of August. We haven't kicked a ball yet and Rowett is getting stick and ive seen people on twitter wanting him to resign. Some of our fans are horrific. 

I'd love to see us go up more than ever. Just so Rowett can stick it to the clueless ***** who are laying into him already.

I have a friend who supports Watford and for a long time now he has been staggered by our supporters. 

Ive renewed my ST. I'll be there cheering on my team like i have done since 1970. I can still be upset that we've just given away one of the best players i've ever seen at Derby. 

We've been through piss poor decisions like this way before the internet era and used to moan about it in the pubs and factories, so dont be precious because we dont agree with you on the Hughes transfer. I'm still furious that we sold Colin Todd and Archie Gemmill btw.

I've never booed at the match, ever. I've fell out with Derby fans who have booed in fact because i believe in supporting my team.

I will moan about losing Will Hughes because i want my team to play football but i will still be supporting DCFC until somebody pulls my cold, dead hands away from the door handles of the Merry Widows!

3 hours ago, Inglorius said:

3.5 million for Claude Davis the same for Robert Earnshaw,  Savages wages, it wasn't that we didn't have the money to compete it's because as like recently we blew the money on poor signings

.Kenny Miller,Feilhaber,Todd and Savage fee/Tito managed to accumulate a handfull of players that did little to improve the team.Probably the best signing was Stubbs but he was unlucky with problems. There's a fair wedge of money there  including the Ghaly and Mills loans

28 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think it's the fact we're giving him away which is the toughest part to understand.

If Hughes wanted a PL move that's fine. If he felt disillusioned here after a few years of near-misses that's fine.

Most recognise he deserves a shot at PL.

What most can't fathom though is Derby practically giving him away.

There seemed little negotiation on our side, and no talk coming out of the club in order to warn off suitors or at least drive his price up.

It smacks of us basically saying we don't want him and we're happy for him to leave.

I just don't understand why... Why would you possibly want to sell him?

Even if we needed to move players on for FFP purposes, at least get a better deal for your most prized asset.

We have just let one of the best players outside the PL at 22 leave for about a quarter of the amount Sunderland received for England's seventh choice goalkeeper.

Is there really not more than 6 keepers better than Pickford? no wonder we are rubbish! 

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Sorry Mackworth, but I have to disagree with a lot of your post here. I agree fans will slowly get over this and heated comments tonight will subside over weeks and months but here's my point.

We need a clear out? Absolutely but if there was just one player who should be kept, it was Hughes. There is a lot of dross at Derby but Hughes with good players around him was a big asset to this football team.

Where I am surprised is that surely in the Mel Morris interview with Rowett certain individuals would have come up, Hughes being one of them. Now MM has publicly said a few things about academy players/Derby way etc and Hughes was the biggest focal point supporting all of this. I absolutely don't advocate any chairman blocking the wishes of a manger (This is the only thing I think Morris has done right under his tenure) but appointing a manager who sees fit to sell the player who fits the requirements of the chairman seems another really baffling and odd decision. It joins page the second or third page of odd/wrong/premature/egotistical decisions of the Morris reign.

As for Hughes, it's a slightly odd statement considering he signed a new four year contract. Can only assume there was some kind of agreement in there but he probably knew he didn't fit into the Rowett game plan which in line gives us an indication into the style he will be setting the team up for this season. We may or may not get results, but the football won't be pretty and I bet attendances will be around the 26/27/28k mark on average by Christmas.

So I genuinely don't feel lucky to have Morris at all. I'd take an owner with his money, of course I would, but I don't take his actions so far.

I hope in 11 months from now we look back on this decision and actually we are not talking about it at all, but right now, I hope there are some offensive signings before the season starts which pick me up.

4 hours ago, Inglorius said:

3.5 million for Claude Davis the same for Robert Earnshaw,  Savages wages, it wasn't that we didn't have the money to compete it's because as like recently we blew the money on poor signings

Add in Miller,Todd,Feilhaber,Savage (fee),Tito,Sterjowski,the unfortunate Stubbs (one of the better ones) and Mills and Ghaly on loan (can't bring myself to mention Roy Carroll) and you've a fair spend there to get us knowhere.

Archived