Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Cactooos said:

That an absolutele criminal price for Hughes. Utterly pathetic by the club, less backbone than a slug. 

Watch him go to Arsenal for £30million in the next three seasons, all the while Rowett will be laughing with his severance pay.

I'd say more chance of him being on loan at a Championship club in 18months.

14 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Very true, but you'd have thought that we also wouldn't have to sell him for such a low amount either... which leaves the following possible things:

* Will has a clause in his contract 

* The deal isn't as bad as it looks (see comments on wiping out debts to Watford.. which I can't really see being true)

* Gary has basically told MM that he doesn't rate Will at all and he'll hardly ever play so you may as well get what you can for him

* MM / GR don't want to hold him back anymore (again, possibly owing to a clause or owing to being good eggs)

* We are skint (ffp?)

* Will isn't as good as we think he is or

* None of the above.

I'd say these 2 were almost certainly correct. I don't believe GR doesn't rate Will, it's not that binary. Possibly he's not absolutely key to our plans then the offer is too good to refuse.

PistoldPete2
5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don't recall a clause in the season ticket renewals allowing us a refund if we were unhappy with transfer dealings. 

Also, none of us know what's been going on behind closed doors. We don't know if there were any clauses in his recently signed contract or if he's asked to be allowed to go.

The price might feel very low in our own heads but I don't think there is a queue of potential bidders lining up to offer more. 

Fine if the club wants to defend it the that's up to them, but I will be demanding a season ticket refund if this deal goes through.

1 minute ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Fine if the club wants to defend it the that's up to them, but I will be demanding a season ticket refund if this deal goes through.

At some point, in the not too distant future, you will look back at these posts and cringe.

I'll bite though, on what basis are you going to DEMAND a season ticket refund?

It is what it is. I'm not about to go burning my DCFC bra about it. 

He is talented no doubt, he may be the best talent we've produced in the academy, but there is a reason no-one else has come in for him before now. We as a club haven't won anything with him in the side, he hasn't set the world on fire, he hasn't played for the U21's in this tournament, captaining behind closed doors or not, and his stats aren't brilliant. 

He has potential, and that's all Watford are paying for, because so far he hasn't lived up to that potential. Hendrick we sold for a good fee because he had a storming season and Euros at full international. Will can't get into the U21 side. 

If this is the time for Will to move on, then best of luck to him. 

3 minutes ago, Cactooos said:

That an absolutele criminal price for Hughes. Utterly pathetic by the club, less backbone than a slug. 

Watch him go to Arsenal for £30million in the next three seasons, all the while Rowett will be laughing with his severance pay.

He may well go to Arsenal but this isn't the fault of Rowett is it, he is trying to remould us into a team and what assets does he have to sell? - Ince and Hughes because Hendrick has gone 

Thorne - great player but never on the pitch much

bryson - been good for us but again injuries 

Butterfield- well no one would give us half of what we paid

johnson - we would do well to get £2 million

Anya - not worth more than about £600,000 

vydra - £2 million ? 

Blackman- £500,000?

olsson - £500,000

christie- £1-2 million

keogh - £2-3 million

martin - £6 -7 million

bent - 0 

carson - £2-3 million

not much wriggle room in reality? But I believe he will get us promoted 

2 minutes ago, Stedcfc said:

£4.5m is absolutely shocking!

Surely if it's such a steal, someone else would have been tempted to come in with an increased offer. I haven't seen any signs of a bidding war.

Players are only worth what clubs are prepared to pay and, it would seem, no one was prepared to pay more than the deal (full details of which we'll never know) that which may or may not have been negotiated with Watford. 

The worst thing for me is that it just makes me dislike some of the midfielders left at the club a bit more. Like Butterfield, who compared to Hughes can get in the bloody bin.

I really, really hope we end the summer with a different midfield than our current one plus Glenn bloody Whelan. Will reserve judgment til then, but if that's it, I'll be upset unless somehow Rowett can turn the rest of the me-toos in our mid into gold.

1 minute ago, CumbrianRam said:

£ 2 million for Whelan and £4 million for Ledley can see it now.

Stoke want £1m for Whelan. 

£4m for Ledley would be a good buy for WBA. 

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Surely if it's such a steal, someone else would have been tempted to come in with an increased offer. I haven't seen any signs of a bidding war.

Players are only worth what clubs are prepared to pay and, it would seem, no one was prepared to pay more than the deal (full details of which we'll never know) that which may or may not have been negotiated with Watford. 

Whilst this is true, if you have something you want to sell but can only get 50% of its value at the moment, you wait for a better time to sell it.

Maybe this one has been leaked to the press so much as we are hoping it might get other clubs interested.

1 minute ago, mrdave85 said:

It is what it is. I'm not about to go burning my DCFC bra about it. 

He is talented no doubt, he may be the best talent we've produced in the academy, but there is a reason no-one else has come in for him before now. We as a club haven't won anything with him in the side, he hasn't set the world on fire, he hasn't played for the U21's in this tournament, captaining behind closed doors or not, and his stats aren't brilliant. 

He has potential, and that's all Watford are paying for, because so far he hasn't lived up to that potential. Hendrick we sold for a good fee because he had a storming season and Euros at full international. Will can't get into the U21 side. 

If this is the time for Will to move on, then best of luck to him. 

He started 23 games in all competitions and hit the woodwork twice and the Euros.

Archived