Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never understand the calls to close any thread. 

Why?

It's a forum, here for discussion. I know as a member on other forums I hate seeing that padlock to say you can no longer discuss this. Just don't open the thread. Simple. 

Topics are only locked if it's a duplicate, or getting bumped from years ago trolling or going in the way of getting us or should I say me trouble. 

So no, this topic will remain open and will drop down the list when people no longer want to discuss his departure.

PistoldPete2
9 hours ago, bigbadbob said:

Do you think we were right to sack him ?

At the time yes . Seeing what we have now I'm not so sure.

15 hours ago, ramblur said:

think I know where you might be getting confused now. A transfer fee payable in instalments (as most are) is just that,and any instalments paid after the first payment are never referred to as add ons. Add ons are always contingent upon some event/milestone occurring/ being met,and therefore may or may not be realised.

Not quite - I'll try to explain it better - And also stop using 'add ons' :)

The deals I've seen involve a cash fee - Some of which is paid in advance and some of which is paid in installments - So a big lump up front and a secondary amount agreed as spread across 24 months - I'm assuming from what you've said that any cash payments, even if spread, will appear as a single number on the books?

My question was - If the spread payments go into the next financial year do they appear on this financial year's statement? (or whatever it is we're talking about - Me using statement like we're talking about bank statements :()

12 hours ago, David said:

Never understand the calls to close any thread. 

Why?

It's a forum, here for discussion. I know as a member on other forums I hate seeing that padlock to say you can no longer discuss this. Just don't open the thread. Simple. 

Topics are only locked if it's a duplicate, or getting bumped from years ago trolling or going in the way of getting us or should I say me trouble. 

So no, this topic will remain open and will drop down the list when people no longer want to discuss his departure.

Which category did my 'Rowett Out' thread fall into?

1 minute ago, PodgeyRam said:

Which category did my 'Rowett Out' thread fall into?

That fell into what I saw as potential placeholder for trolling of grieving members during a difficult time.

Had it been a serious Rowett Out thread no problems.

9 minutes ago, David said:

That fell into what I saw as potential placeholder for trolling of grieving members during a difficult time.

Had it been a serious Rowett Out thread no problems.

A difficult time! Haha. He's gone to Watford, not died! 

Not disagreeing with your decision necessarily, but some people really are are too precious.

5 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Not disagreeing with your decision necessarily, but some people really are are too precious.

Everyone is precious to me, I'm a man of the people! :lol: 

Football is an emotional sport, never catch me in tears if we go down or up, that's because I'm hard but others are big softies. 

Just didn't think egging members on in an emotional state by giving them the platform to fly into a Rowett Out rage was fair, takes a more balls to be the first to open a genuine manager out thread. Don't think anyone really thinks it would be time to get rid.

1 hour ago, David said:

Everyone is precious to me, I'm a man of the people! :lol: 

Football is an emotional sport, never catch me in tears if we go down or up, that's because I'm hard but others are big softies. 

Just didn't think egging members on in an emotional state by giving them the platform to fly into a Rowett Out rage was fair, takes a more balls to be the first to open a genuine manager out thread. Don't think anyone really thinks it would be time to get rid.

I cried when we lost at Wembley, I'm not ashamed to admit that. :p

Oh, it was just a bit of sport. Like duck shooting or peasant hunting!

Just now, PodgeyRam said:

I cried when we lost at Wembley, I'm not ashamed to admit that. :p

Oh, it was just a bit of sport. Like duck shooting or peasant hunting!

I'm all up for peasant hunting, just look for the cider topics, no defending those lot 

5 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Not quite - I'll try to explain it better - And also stop using 'add ons' :)

The deals I've seen involve a cash fee - Some of which is paid in advance and some of which is paid in installments - So a big lump up front and a secondary amount agreed as spread across 24 months - I'm assuming from what you've said that any cash payments, even if spread, will appear as a single number on the books?

My question was - If the spread payments go into the next financial year do they appear on this financial year's statement? (or whatever it is we're talking about - Me using statement like we're talking about bank statements :()

Ok,I'll invent a transaction and list every transaction,hoping it won't confuse you further! 

We originally bought player X for an all in price of £4m,and sold him to club Y for £6m,payable in 3 equal instalments of £2m/annum. The accumulated amortisation of the player was £3m at time of sale.

The player's reg would feature as part of intangible assets on the balance sheet,and consist of original cost (debit entry) and accumulated amortisation (credit entry),the difference of the 2 will be the net book value of the player.The profit/loss on the sale will be calculated within something called an 'asset disposal account',and certain values will be transferred into it as follows (double entry book keeping means that for every debit,there's an equal credit) :-

Cr players' regs in intangible assets with £4m and dr ADA with same amount,similarly dr IA with £3m (amortisation) and cr ADA with same.At this point,the player's reg will have been cleared from IA, and the ADA will reflect the net book value. The next step is to credit the full transfer fee of the player (£6m) to the ADA,with the corresponding dr entry going to the debtor account 'club Y'. ADA will now have a net cr value of £5m (the profit on disposal of player's reg) -at the year end this will be transferred to the P/L a/c (dr ADA £5m, cr P/L £5m).

Now let's look at the cash side of it. The first instalment of £2m is dr cash £2m, cr club Y £2m,meaning that club Y is now shown as owing £4m,the value of future instalments owed. This will be reflected in the balance sheet under current assets/debtors -'Players' registration fees receivable', with £2m being shown up to 12 months,and £2m 1 year+. The first instalment will be reflected in the cash flow statement under 'Proceeds of sale of intangible assets'. Some may think of their own bank statements and wonder why their cash deposits are shown as credits,yet I've shown the club's cash receipt as a debit.The answer is that the bank statement reflects the position of how they see you as a result of various net transactions -a creditor (if you're lucky).

The following year,when the 2nd instalment comes in, it's dr cash £2m,cr club Y £2m,with the transaction reflected in the cash flow statement.The debtor on the balance sheet becomes just 'up to 1 year', and in year 3, the same transactions mean that the debtor club Y disappears,as does the entry on the balance sheet.None of these transactions have any impact on profits.

I've a feeling I could just have said that the full fee is represented in the calculation of profit in the year the transaction took place,and that the structure of the cash payments has no relevance whatsoever. If you have any interest in it,the club's accounts are downloadable free from Companies House,using the beta service - you'll see some of the types of transactions I've mentioned,but they'll be global, rather than individual,and you'll never see an asset disposal account. 

2 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

It's a difficult time.

6 minutes ago, Ninos said:

It's a difficult time.

We'll get over it. I was upset he's leaving (and I still am really), but the club will survive without him. 

Anyhow, now you know how a lot of people felt when Martin left last year!

1 minute ago, PodgeyRam said:

We'll get over it. I was upset he's leaving (and I still am really), but the club will survive without him. 

Anyhow, now you know how a lot of people felt when Martin left last year!

It's a difficult time.

Archived