DIY SOS

mozza

Proud of mesen today, fitted a new element and new fan to my oven cost me 25 quid, Saved myself the cost of a new oven. Have you lot done repairs to items that you would normally leave to the 'experts',  have you been successful or wished you'd never attempted them, costing you more time,  money and heartache? Come on, own up.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, mozza said:

Proud of mesen today, fitted a new element and new fan to my oven cost me 25 quid, Saved myself the cost of a new oven. Have you lot done repairs to items that you would normally leave to the 'experts',  have you been successful or wished you'd never attempted them, costing you more time,  money and heartache? Come on, own up.

I once fitted a new element and new fan to my oven.  Direct Line were not too happy, but the kids loved the Fire Engines.

Had a mate ask me to take a look at his boiler as it was making a hell of a racket,when i got there he took me to the offending object in the utility room ,only to point to a tumble dryer .The guy had at this point lived in the house for 4 or 5 years,another time he went and bought a new vacuum cleaner after his wife had left him under the impression the old one didnt work .He thought the motor moved it and you just steered the thing.This guy earnt bundles and never did anything in the house,hasten to add within a week of his wife leaving he had an oau pir move in (eye candy) to do all the house work for him.

I took the pump out of the washing machine and found half a wire out of the missus's bra. Put it all back together only for it to fail a week later. Took it to bits again and found the other half of the wire. 

The washing machine is going strong 5 years on.

Took my laptop to bits and removed a large lump of fluff out of the fan. Put it back together and it works fine now.

If anyone needs any spare screws I have a cup full of them.

33 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I took the pump out of the washing machine and found half a wire out of the missus's bra. Put it all back together only for it to fail a week later. Took it to bits again and found the other half of the wire. 

The washing machine is going strong 5 years on.

Took my laptop to bits and removed a large lump of fluff out of the fan. Put it back together and it works fine now.

If anyone needs any spare screws I have a cup full of them.

I'll bet she was a bit lopsided for a week. (good repair tho mate) :)

After spending half a Saturday trying and failing to fit a new electric socket (I think i've said on here before); numerous trips to B&Q; Family having to leave the house because of the swearing; my blood pressure reaching new highs....I called an electrician who had the job done in about 30 mins and charged me £20 for it. Just not worth me trying to do stuff myself any more.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

After spending half a Saturday trying and failing to fit a new electric socket (I think i've said on here before); numerous trips to B&Q; Family having to leave the house because of the swearing; my blood pressure reaching new highs....I called an electrician who had the job done in about 30 mins and charged me £20 for it. Just not worth me trying to do stuff myself any more.

Should have rang @Boycie, would have done if for £50 for you, members discount

Sith Happens

I am generally rubbish at DIY type stuff so anything I do is an achievement.

My mower broke last year, I was going to just buy a new one but got online and got a replacement belt for a fiver and used youtube video to see how to replace, all working fine.

The hard drive on my laptop packed up earlier this year, my laptop is only about 3 years old so didnt want to buy a new one, suddenly remembered my wifes old laptop was in the loft so took that apart and was amazed it had exactly the same hard drive in it as mine was about 5 years younger. Anyway replaced with the wife hard drive, formatted it, reinstalled windows which then free upgraded to windows 10, hey presto works as good as new.

The roller on our Dyson stopped spinning a while back.  One replacement motor, and a 3 minute how-to video on Youtube later, it's as good as new.  But now the Mrs has declared she wants one of the fancy handheld models instead...  I don't know why I bother somethings :angry:

Archived