Name and shame yourself

Day

Which players past and present have made you say, I got that one wrong.

You see the back page of the DET, hear the signing announced on Radio Derby or more recently a tweet....X player has signed for Derby and you thought that's a great signing and turned out to be a right Pete Tongeun.

Or why the hell have we signed him, turned out to be a right Bobby Dazzler.

Name and shame yourself....

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a few:

Chris Martin - I was completely baffled when we signed him. He'd done nothing at Swindon, had a reputation and was about to be released from his side, i.e. not offered a new deal. He's obviously proved me, and many other people, very wrong. 

Nathan Tyson - I had high hopes for him. He'd consistently ripped us to shreds for years and I hoped it would be an injury-free and excellent move for him. Not to be. 

9 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I've got a few:

Chris Martin - I was completely baffled when we signed him. He'd done nothing at Swindon, had a reputation and was about to be released from his side, i.e. not offered a new deal. He's obviously proved me, and many other people, very wrong. 

Nathan Tyson - I had high hopes for him. He'd consistently ripped us to shreds for years and I hoped it would be an injury-free and excellent move for him. Not to be. 

I'm genuinely astonished - thought you had a decent eye for a player. I was simply aghast when we signed Tyson - really really really annoyed as there was never any chance it would work and he was bound to be injured at least 3/4 of the time. Whereas Martin I thought had been incredibly unlucky not to get more goals in his loan spell with us and had a lot of promise. Was looking forward to see him displace Conor Sammon.

I was excited to see Ian Storey-Moore paraded round the Baseball Ground and that didn't work out very well. Similarly for Lubos Kubik and Ivo Knoflicek. But seriously, I thought we'd overpaid on Dean Saunders while with Leighton James' arrival I expected us to be world beaters.

The excitable 14 year old in me still can't fully accept that a poor run of form cannot be solved by a marauding Tito Villa.

He essentially just ran around a lot. He had no composure and no physical presence. That's the objective truth.

But equally he was Argentinian and scored a goal wearing a headband so I just couldn't see that he was almost entirely useless.

Emanuel+Villa+Queens+Park+Rangers+v+Derb

Just now, cosmic said:

Nigel Pearson. 

And Stephen Pearson, while I'm at it.

FUN FACT: Despite his limited performances in a Derby shirt I stuck a tenner on him to score in the playoff final, because I was so convinced of his quality. 16/1. :cool:

Recently, John Eustace.

Very underwhelmed when we signed him.

George Thorne couldn't get a game until Eust was injured....

Historically, i remember thinking this is how far we have fallen, signing journeymen strikers from Halifax like Bobby Davison.....

I can't actually remember the last signing i was really excited about?

(apart from George thorne - who we already knew about)

frequently they are fairly unknown, (such as George Thorne when he came in on loan)

i remember thinking lee croft was going to be absolutely crap.....and he was.

nugent has surprised me.

The last player i thought would be great who wasn't particularly great - rob hulse.

Just now, RamNut said:

I can't actually remember the last signing i was really excited about?

(apart from George thorne - who we already knew about)

frequently they are fairly unknown, (such as George Thorne when he came in on loan)

i remember thinking lee croft was going to be absolutely crap.....and he was.

nugent has surprised me.

The last player i thought would be great who wasn't particularly great - rob hulse.

I thought Paul Hooks was going to be the new Archie Gemmill :(

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

I'd describe Hulse as par. Justified his fee - no more, no less.

When he and Commons were playing together, they could make an awful side look mediocre.

21 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I'm a pretty good judge of a player so Carson aside I can't think of many others.

I thought I was a good judge of forum poster but there you go..... ;)

Archived