Mel interview with local media

Day

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, eddie said:

We didn't get a player ringing us - just someone from the ticket office. If they had 'adjusted' the price to take into account the fact that we both turn 65 half way through the season, then we would have renewed.

Typical halfwaythroughtheseason-fan.

41 minutes ago, eddie said:

I haven't seen anything like a 'crisis' - I'd like someone to convince me that there is one without resorting to hyperbole and hysteria.

I put 'crisis' in wotsits because i couldn't think of a better word, but.....three managerial changes in a season, plus loss of the ceo just as we go into the summer transfer window?

car crash management.

we can't carry on sacking people all the time. 

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I put 'crisis' in wotsits because i couldn't think of a better word, but.....three managerial changes in a season, plus loss of the ceo just as we go into the summer transfer window?

car crash management.

we can't carry on sacking people all the time. 

Would you prefer that we employ incompetent people who aren't performing? 

Congratulations on this thread to all participants!

Be you analysts, psychologists, management consultants, accountants, comedians, ITKers, or mere GOMs, you have created a best-seller which is, without doubt, of Premier League standard. In fact, given Mel's unrivalled ability to follow controversy with controversy, I suggest Season Tickets could be sold for viewing this thread.

Never mind about the football. Who cares? Leaving the football in its wake, this forum, thanks to Mel The Producer, has the ability to weave stories around more car crashes and tram crashes than Emmerdale and Corrie combined. All human life is here (apart from murder, though it's early days).What a soap opera!

Proud to be a Ram!

56 minutes ago, eddie said:

We didn't get a player ringing us - just someone from the ticket office. If they had 'adjusted' the price to take into account the fact that we both turn 65 half way through the season, then we would have renewed.

Swings and roundabouts, my lad turned 18 a month after the cut off date for an under 18's ticket, but will have to pay full price for an season ticket when he's 64 and 11 months.

By which time, he'll be watching hoverboard football played by robot Steve Bloomers, Dean Saunders and Gary Teale's.

Food and drink will still be overpriced rubbish though.

17 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Would you prefer that we employ incompetent people who aren't performing? 

we must have been really unlucky with the number of incompetent people we employed in good faith and were then subsequently obliged to sack,  be they managers, coaches, scouts, fitness coaches, medical professionals, chief executives, academy coaches or technical directors. 

32 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Swings and roundabouts, my lad turned 18 a month after the cut off date for an under 18's ticket, but will have to pay full price for an season ticket when he's 64 and 11 months.

By which time, he'll be watching hoverboard football played by robot Steve Bloomers, Dean Saunders and Gary Teale's.

Agreed.

Just done a very quick calculation, and @eddie must have got into our last FA Cup final appearance free and seen the World Cup Final on an under 18s ticket, notice he didnt mention either of these!

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Or are you having a gap year to go travelling? Somewhere exciting like Burton?

I'm travelling tomorrow. Given the fact that the country are going to elect the Tories again, this will probably be the last time I will ever be able to afford to have a holiday on the continent.

37 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Well, my first season ticket was 51 years ago, so don't fecking lecture me about how much I have put into the club.

7 hours ago, cheron85 said:

*** WARNING - SPECULATION AHEAD - PLEASE DO NOT TAKE ANY OF MY WORDS AS FACT***

I wonder if he's ballsed up the finances - Whether on purpose or by accident - Which means the books we've submitted to the league are wrong? 

We've all be speculating for ages that with the transfer outlay and wages we're throwing around we should be in a much worse FFP position and I wonder whether Mel's investigation/review uncovered that Rush had messed up.

I think you can forget about that.We pulled the 15/16 FFP situation back by the cancellation of a £12m loan,a route that other clubs have taken.Our accounts have to be professionally audited and the League has accepted our 15/16 accounts. It's highly likely that this year's position has been pulled back by the Hendrick sale.

On another note,the examination of all contracts will include commercial contracts and my guess (and only that) is that this may be the area where the problems lie. I don't particularly understand this opinion that it may be settled out of court (unless some think that Sam will be settling with Mel). If Mel thinks he can prove wrongdoing,then I can't actually see him rewarding Sam for same. 

"Typically I had about half to one day a week involved in the football."

What about the non-football side of things, which would surely be where the majority of his time should be concentrated.

Am I reading too much into that statement, or is it a clever use of language?

3 minutes ago, eddie said:

Well, my first season ticket was 51 years ago, so don't fecking lecture me about how much I have put into the club.

Wasn't a lecture, or a dig, and I'm surprised you took it as such, tbh.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Have the club said whether you will qualify for over 65 rate if you purchase a half season ticket in December?

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Have the club said whether you will qualify for over 65 rate if you purchase a half season ticket in December?

Only an accountant could spot that. :whistle:

3 hours ago, David said:

Couple of summers ago I was given a list of members summoned to breakfast with Mel at Moor Farm, unfortunately some were unable to attend so I was given the task of replacing these, the requirements were a mixed group of opinions, he didn't see value in having 10 I think it was fans drooling over him.

As we arrived and shown where to collect our free food some greedy players had eaten all the sausage and bacon, I should point out here for Toddy and Nino that Chris Martin was back for "early training" being the dedicated athlete he is...ahem. 

For some reason the lack of bacon has been largely forgotten about, all focus has been on the sausage.

So much so on a later return to Pride Park where Mel, Sam, several other fan groups were in attendance for talks over the new supporters committee I was served a plate of sausages at the request of Mel which spelt out my name on the plate.

All this sausage stuff has made some believe that my head is so far up Mr Morris's rectum having been bought out with a pound of sausages and a threat of legal action. 

Truth be told yes I am a little more on top of the posts than I used to be, which to be fair I should, I put this platform out there on the internet for fans to have their say and I am ultimately responsible. Some fans try and hide behind freedom of speech to spout completely false allegations. You just can't do that. The one that the lawyers contacted me about was pretty serious. 

Catch me on the wrong day and I will bite when someone accuses me of being bought out by the club, it's only through frustration that I'm not entitled to an opinion now without it being questioned because I have met Mel a few times. Had many a argument both publicly and privately with members on this, was even once told that you can't even be critical on this forum anymore......erm....look around!

I guess my "no sausage" line was dropped in there before they were thrown at me. Sound like a right mard arse now but hey, my point still stands, the only reason we all have so expectations now for this club is Mel's money, now that doesn't give him freedom to do as he wants without being questioned, but stop and look for 5 minutes what he has done for this club, the improvements at Moor Farm, Pride Park (not touched for years under GSE).....then look down the A52 where all Fawaz has done is stick a Kuwait flag on the roof and commissioned a painting of himself with Brian Clough for the boardroom.

Despite the unpopular managerial sackings, think we should feel pretty lucky we're in safe hands. Yes we have spent too much in transfer fees, yes the wage bill is too high, but those bills are being paid on time without a HMRC winding up order. Is it sustainable? of course not, saying that you look around and no club is making a profit in this league, even poor Fawaz as clueless as he may look has pumped millions into Forest which he will lose out on.

Football fans always think the grass is greener on the other side, hound Mel out (which you probably won't) you have zero say who the next owner will be. 

Again, Mel has made mistakes, some he will admit to, others not because he may not see it as a mistake despite our opinions. Hands up who has never made a mistake in their jobs. Having never been a football owner myself, chances are I would make several myself in the same time as I'm sure we all would.

I'll stop here, first because I don't know how I got to this point and second if I carry on it could turn out to be a poorly written e book on Amazon

Sorry mate I gave up after you said there was no bacon!! 

Im sure it was a very interesting (but long) post ?

3 hours ago, David said:

Couple of summers ago I was given a list of members summoned to breakfast with Mel at Moor Farm, unfortunately some were unable to attend so I was given the task of replacing these, the requirements were a mixed group of opinions

Let me know when my summons comes in will ya?

Good interview that. He's made quite a few bad/unlucky decisions in the past but I do believe he's doing what he believes is best for the club.

Total, wild, unsubstantiated, plucked from the wild skies speculation from me but I wonder if SR's sacking could have anything to do with that major sponsorship deal signed a couple of years ago?

Archived