What, not who do you want?

sage

It seems obvious that we are aiming to reduce the squad size and wage bill, but we still need some incomings.

Without suggesting specific players, what kind of player do you think we need? What position and what skill set/physical attributes should we be looking for?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A well balanced side with a good amount of hard working competent players and a few "a bit special" or entertainment players.

Have Ince and Hughes around, but also Nuge, Bradley fighting vehicle, Chris Baird.

A competent defence, but not a totally defensive team.

Ive only named players from the current squad as examples - who fills those types of roles next season is not the point.

10 minutes ago, sage said:

It seems obvious that we are aiming to reduce the squad size and wage bill, but we still need some incomings.

Without suggesting specific players, what kind of player do you think we need? What position and what skill set/physical attributes should we be looking for?

A midfield gaffer ... IT might be Bradley Johnson now he is playing up the pitch where he belongs. Just not sure yet

Finding the right partner(s) to work with Will Hughes ... He is special but isn't fitting with the mix we have used to date.

Getting a strike partnership(s) that works seamlessly .. Martin / Nuge / Vydra but we need a powerhouse too. 

LB/RB .. We have sparse cover in these areas 

CB .. Same as above 

I tell you .. Thin this squad out and remove the wanabees and also rans .. Add what is missing (as listed above) 

Then get them playing as a unit and we just about have it. ..... We don't need millions .. We need some fitness, some tactical nous and to discover the right blend of what we have. 

FOzzy to come back, Thorne hopefully, Lowe looking good, Elsnik has talent 

Camara, Blackman, Weiman probably surplus to requirements .. Bent with contract extension is an impact sub rabbit out of hat 

I think fulham and brentford have shown that having three mobile, skilled, pacy, busy players playing off the striker seems to work.

we've got those type of players - anya, russell, ince, vydra, Bryson, weiman - but they haven't been consistent enough. Just need to short those three positions out. 

Plus a centre back

and maybe a right back

and a reserve keeper

5 hours ago, ramjit said:

Ain't this thread been done Many times before,..same old questions,ain't there a search button on this forum,if not would help??

Have a search then. See if you can find it.

I would look for the following

A strong right back, who can overlap with pace but is also a more consistent defender/passer than CC.

A left sided CB with pace and reasonable passing ability to allow us push further up the pitch.

A box to box DCM. We have Thorne (hopefully) for 433 but we need someone to partner Hughes in a 4231 who can tackle and compete aerially but can also cover the pitch.

A LW with real pace and strength. Someone to run at and beyond defenders.

A CF with pace and strength who can run the channels and stretch a defence. Nugent can do this to some extent but I want someone quicker and stronger who can do the job for 80 or 90 minutes not 60.

Overall pace, strength and aerial ability.

I'm gonna break the rules a lil…

Holding midfielder who can first and foremost put his foot in but also help run ten show. David Vaughan or Phillip Billing for me.

A goalscoring midfield runner… Daniel Johnson, Dave Edwards, Jackson Irvine or **** Landsbury.

A ball playing centre-half. Not a clue who. I thought we should have signed Michael Keane in 2014, although Burnley has been the making of him defensively. I'd have gone for Liam Moore too.

A right footed winger. Any style of play. 

Archived