Where is Sam?

loweman2

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Am I the only one with no strong opinion either way? No real idea what he does, how much sway he has, how important he is. He is just a guy at the club with some say in matters but probably not the final say in anything.

Someone else will come in who I similarly won't know anything about. Or Mel will not replace him and stop pretending there is a 'board' making decisions. 

If we do well next season I wont care either way.

Not criticising anyone...just don't understand how people can know enough to form a strong opinion. 

You are not the only one.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Am I the only one who is missing the point here?

Are they suggesting that we have only bought these players because who their agents are?

If so, have they been purchased without any input from the recruitment team and manager?

Possibly.

Given most of them were signed under Clement, who is also represented by Wasserman, someone with a generous disposition may suggest Clement asked Rush for a list of players and most of them just so happened to be Wasserman players.

Depends how generous you're being.

It looks odd now that I think about it. 

Paul Clement quickly replaces McClaren.  But we still let McClaren's retained list go throug without much input from Clement.

None of the players signed early in the transfer window were represented by Wasserman.  Might we assume they were McClaren's players?

All the players signed later on in the window and in January are represented by Wasserman. After Clement (who is also represented by Wasserman) has found his feet.

10 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Am I the only one with no strong opinion either way? No real idea what he does, how much sway he has, how important he is. He is just a guy at the club with some say in matters but probably not the final say in anything.

Someone else will come in who I similarly won't know anything about. Or Mel will not replace him and stop pretending there is a 'board' making decisions. 

If we do well next season I wont care either way.

Not criticising anyone...just don't understand how people can know enough to form a strong opinion. 

The fact that a significant number of our recent signings, including Clement, appear to be represented by Wasserman on very good contracts, which in Bents case he can extend himself certainly sets alarm bells ringing. Maybe it is all a coincidence, but i doubt it.

Also bear in mind that it isnt just Mel, as the FA are also investigating Wasserman and their links to us (see Ayrton Wassall).

this info against the background of poor recruitment make it easy to put 2 and 2 together, maybe it is wrong but I did expect somebody to take the hit for apparent poor player identification and negotiating.  Irrespective of my views on CM the loan contract was poorly negotiated also.  If I was Mel I would look at all of this and smell a rat.  makes the Wassell situation very difficult though

I'm surprised people are surprised to find out we were only signing players involved with the wasserman group. It was fairly common knowledge that the players we were signing were represented by Wasserman, which explains why we were buying bang average players like Camara and Blackman for 5 million quid.

The concern is whether certain people were taking advantage of a wealthy owner willing to invest his hard earnt money helping his club reached the promised land...it starts to explain bloated fees, 6 million for Johnson and 4 million for Butterfield, for example.

Nothnig to do with the thread, but the fact that Johnny Russell isn't represented by anybody (at least when that list was produced and I'm understanding it correctly) makes me like him even more.... 

24 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Possibly.

Given most of them were signed under Clement, who is also represented by Wasserman, someone with a generous disposition may suggest Clement asked Rush for a list of players and most of them just so happened to be Wasserman players.

Depends how generous you're being.

Now I would be worried if our recruitment policy was the manager asking the CEO for a list of players!

7 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

It could be triggered for other reasons other than games played - goals scored, for example, or both - but I think that it was activated earlier in the season by DB rather than the club.

It's not bad for Derby either.  It gives DB a value if Gary Rowett decides he doesn't form part of his plans for next season, which he might do.  It improves DB's negotiating strength as well but it doesn't necessarily mean that DB will be here for next season for definite.

I couldn't disagree more. 

No one will pay a fee for Bent. Who would match our wages to even move him on for a free?

The best we can hope for is a loan where someone plays half or 2/3 of his wages.

Just now, sage said:

I couldn't disagree more. 

No one will pay a fee for Bent. Who would match our wages to even move him on for a free?

The best we can hope for is a loan where someone plays half or 2/3 of his wages.

What are the wages in his new contract? 

5 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I'm surprised people are surprised to find out we were only signing players involved with the wasserman group. It was fairly common knowledge that the players we were signing were represented by Wasserman, which explains why we were buying bang average players like Camara and Blackman for 5 million quid.

The concern is whether certain people were taking advantage of a wealthy owner willing to invest his hard earnt money helping his club reached the promised land...it starts to explain bloated fees, 6 million for Johnson and 4 million for Butterfield, for example.

agree to the sentiment not sure that J and B are a good example though.  I quite like them and they are good footballers who deliver when played in the correct position, don't see them as particularly costly either but perhaps someone could provide examples of why they were overpriced.  the continuation of your concern is whether anybody in the club financially benefited from these deals and did not disclose it, there is a stink around this that will linger

8 hours ago, philmycock said:

That would be a shocker, however I'm sure I read that it was activated in January??

Where have you read that Phil? 

It has certainly only become apparent in the last few weeks.

Just now, sage said:

Where have you read that Phil? 

It has certainly only become apparent in the last few weeks.

Owen Bradley says it was activated in January, the club just haven't announced it. Wouldn't surprise me. The club took up Christie's one-year extension at some point last year but didn't bother announcing it.

Archived