Americanism"s in the English language.

Boycie

Buzz words, motivational phrases and the sort.  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to explore the issues further then the truth is that the alphabet we use was not designed for the language we speak.

If you say "this Thursday " to yourself enough times then you'll realise that we have two different 'th' sounds, both represented by the 'th' digraph but neither having anything to do with 't' or 'h'.

There were Anglo Saxon graphs for the sounds but they only survive in the often mispronounced Thorne of 'Y' of Tea Shoppe fame.

Can't be bothered to get upset about Americanisms while I'm getting grumpy about poor use of basic English - "I was sat on the chair" - no you illiterate ****, it's "I was sitting on the chair" or "I sat on the chair"; or how about "I'm stood at the end of the road" - which should of course be "I'm standing at the end of the road" - BBC reporters (in particular) haven't got the slightest idea - bunch of winkers the lot of 'em.....

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Can't be bothered to get upset about Americanisms while I'm getting grumpy about poor use of basic English - "I was sat on the chair" - no you illiterate ****, it's "I was sitting on the chair" or "I sat on the chair"; or how about "I'm stood at the end of the road" - which should of course be "I'm standing at the end of the road" - BBC reporters (in particular) haven't got the slightest idea - bunch of winkers the lot of 'em.....

You are a man (or woman) after my own heart. I'm a grammar vigilante and I notice that even the title of this thread has an errant apostrophe for some reason. Bad Boycie!

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 17:54, StringerBell said:

I think that's Australian.

Oh I said that wrong. I think that's Australian?

If I had a dollarydoo for every time someone got that wrong?

1 hour ago, Strange yearnings said:

You are a man (or woman) after my own heart. I'm a grammar vigilante and I notice that even the title of this thread has an errant apostrophe for some reason. Bad Boycie!

Saw that as well thinking their shouldn't be a apostrophe, I feel like your wasting you're time trying to educate Boycie though 

31 minutes ago, David said:

Saw that as well thinking their shouldn't be a apostrophe, I feel like your wasting you're time trying to educate Boycie though 

"Their"?  Oh deary me. 

2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Dunno wot your on abart?

Spotted it. Sticking an extra apostrophe in doesn't make it right. Not sure what it makes it. 

6 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

Spotted it. Sticking an extra apostrophe in doesn't make it right. Not sure what it makes it. 

Ha haaaaah! It isn't or isnt an extra one, it was a quote thingy.

?

I use to love using the word "awesome" for everything that was even mildly good just to annoy my American wife who thinks it is an awful word....I now find that I am actually using it in my daily life...which annoys the poop out of me (and her)

Most of the business jargon that probably started out over there (over here) annoys me and non more than F2F meetings....!

3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Yeah but declaring a Date Night implies a degree of food & alcohol induced wooing resulting in...erm....married cuddles.

How much wooing does your wife have to do to get you in the mood?

Archived