Americanism"s in the English language.

Boycie

Buzz words, motivational phrases and the sort.  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Daveo's winding me up as per normal.

He's full of the corporate jargon that you read or hear increasingly in modern life.

His latest one is "reaching out" he means contacting or asking.

People copy them, and before you know it, everyone's speaking like it.

That and the verbal and  very annoying upwards inference tone that people use when ending a sentence.  

It boils my urine no end.

Bet there's loads, and I'm just "throwing this out there" to the forum.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Boycie said:

He's full of the corporate jargon that you read or hear increasingly in modern life.

That and the verbal and  very annoying upwards inference tone that people use when ending a sentence.  

It spreads like syphilis. I've no idea where it came from though. I've just learned to associate it with those college girls you see on US TV shows.

6 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I think that's Australian.

Oh I said that wrong. I think that's Australian?

6 minutes ago, David said:

Never understood it myself, I mean it's a train, it goes choo choo and takes you from a to b, often late and more expensive than a fortnight in Cleethorpes. 

You stand there, dressed up like the kid at school who has his dinner money taken off him, note book in hand taking down each number, what then?

Would love it if I could reach out to one and ask just what is it that drives this odd passion

IMG_1884.JPG

38 minutes ago, Boycie said:

You pair should get a room.?

My pet hate is when people are being served in a shop or at a bar etc and they say "can I get " instead of " can I have" whatever they are asking for. Other americanisms creeping in are calling lifts "elevators" and pronouncing "anti" as "ant- i". Totally agree about that upward inference too, it's bad enough when young uns do it, but 100 times worse when middle aged people do it. 

A couple of years back I listened to the audiobook of the history of the English language by Melvyn Bragg.

It was a briiliant book, but one of the most interesting parts was how a lot of american spelling and pronounciation was actually how english was spoken/written when we first settled over there.

American English changed less over the years than what we speak in Britain as we were happier to let the language evolve, whereas Americans wanted to keep the language pure.

It would be good if I could think of some examples, but I can't so get the book.

(Another interesting thing I do remember is the pronounciation of 'ask' as 'aks'. This is apparently how English sailors used to say it when transporting slaves to America. It was picked up by the slaves and through the ages is how some black americans say it today. US culture means the kids in Britain now say 'aks'. Just like their ancestors used to.)

I hate the way the Americans always say 'I'm super excited' about everything. Now the word 'super' is back into English and it's really irritating. Clothes are 'super cute' now instead of 'really nice'. Where will it end? :angry:

Also 'thank you so so much'. Why does it have to replace the quintessential English saying of 'thank you very much'? 

50 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

A couple of years back I listened to the audiobook of the history of the English language by Melvyn Bragg.

It was a briiliant book, but one of the most interesting parts was how a lot of american spelling and pronounciation was actually how english was spoken/written when we first settled over there.

American English changed less over the years than what we speak in Britain as we were happier to let the language evolve, whereas Americans wanted to keep the language pure.

It would be good if I could think of some examples, but I can't so get the book.

(Another interesting thing I do remember is the pronounciation of 'ask' as 'aks'. This is apparently how English sailors used to say it when transporting slaves to America. It was picked up by the slaves and through the ages is how some black americans say it today. US culture means the kids in Britain now say 'aks'. Just like their ancestors used to.)

Another example is 'gotten' as the past participle of 'get'. It was the original form (and it persists in the UK in 'forgotten', for example) and this form travelled with the original settlers in the 17th century. When English underwent changes in the 18th century, including the use of 'got' as the past participle of 'get', the change never made it across the Atlantic. Nor did it make it across the Irish Sea, where 'gotten' persists to this day.

I think people would be surprised how many 'Americanisms' are just older versions of British English. And by how many bits of English we think of as British actually came from America.

Archived