June Free Transfers

Igorwasking

If you go to transfer market.co.uk, you can see which players contracts expire this summer. Some useful players there. Now I know we couldn't compete for wages on most of these, but are there any players you fancy we could tempt? I would love to see Michael Carrick - but get that is as likely as getting Ibrahimovich!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing is really 'free'.

If you want to sign a 'free' transfer there are invariably reasons why they are free/have been released.

They can range from being too 'old', too expensive to re-sign, injury prone or someone with 'bad reputation'. In variable anyone 'decent' will attract a lot of admirers and hence command/request 'large' signing on fee's, long contracts and guarantee's about playing time.

Before signing anyone you have to ask yourself the following questions:

1. What 'extra' will this person bring that we don't have already at the club.

2. He is 'worth' the money or disruption he may bring.

3. Is there anyone younger/fitter who is not the finished article but can be developed into a better player out there inside or outside the club.

Has we have found out to our cost in the past. it very easy to sign players but very difficult to get rid of them. 

This Summer's transfer window is 'most' important for many many years. It will dictate in which direction we will be moving for the next few years. That is either forward's to the 'promised land' or year's of mid to upper half Championship table finishes.

Carrick would be like getting John Eustace with leather seats, air con and alloys but as you say it won't happen.

From time to time an old head can make a big difference to some teams but I'd like to think we have some youth to bring on.

I genuinely believe that Hanson has been somewhat misused as a utility player, fitting in where needed, but I can see a good young CM in the making if only he got a chance in the same position for 3 or 4 games. we also have Elsnik who has "the touch" so I am wary of free transfers on high wages. would say no to Carrick though :cool: .......or an aging quality CB as cover

2 hours ago, Igorwasking said:

If you go to transfer market.co.uk, you can see which players contracts expire this summer. Some useful players there. Now I know we couldn't compete for wages on most of these, but are there any players you fancy we could tempt? I would love to see Michael Carrick - but get that is as likely as getting Ibrahimovich!

I misread your handle and thought it said Igorswanking...... 

pun away people

12 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Jota, Judge, Leadbitter 

that'll do me

Judge is an interesting one. Depends how much it costs us in wages and other fees. 28 with one good season and coming back from a double leg break, seems like the kind of deal that usually screws us when we try it.

34 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

I would rather we sign some young hungry talent from league one and blood some youngsters instead of paying way over the odds for more 'names'.

And the thing is they are there somewhere .. Need the right scouts at the right time which is always difficult. ... I'd just love it if we found a gem. 

4 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

I misread your handle and thought it said Igorswanking...... 

pun away people

We have a member, haha member, a poster called  TobyWanKenobi, I only see four letters of his handle before I see the full name. I must be preprogrammed for smut. 

14 hours ago, jono said:

And the thing is they are there somewhere .. Need the right scouts at the right time which is always difficult. ... I'd just love it if we found a gem. 

Even if we found a 'gem' and signed them for a decent fee (assuming they're young with potential) there is a lot that goes into turning raw into a player that produces, game time being one thing - we haven't guaranteed many youth much of this over the past few years. You could argue our youth haven't been good enough, but many have shown promise (Elsnik this season, Mason in his cameo, Rawson on loan) 

They need a run of games so they can learn and develop, make mistakes, learn from experiences players and hone their craft. Until that point, any young players may end up not getting the chances and not reach any potential 

worth saying I think we should look at any player that makes our squad better, young hungry players included. Like the look of the lad from Exeter, and we've done well to sign McAllister, needs an opportunity to settle then push on in next couple seasons (he's still young)

so...free transfers

42 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Even if we found a 'gem' and signed them for a decent fee (assuming they're young with potential) there is a lot that goes into turning raw into a player that produces, game time being one thing - we haven't guaranteed many youth much of this over the past few years. You could argue our youth haven't been good enough, but many have shown promise (Elsnik this season, Mason in his cameo, Rawson on loan) 

They need a run of games so they can learn and develop, make mistakes, learn from experiences players and hone their craft. Until that point, any young players may end up not getting the chances and not reach any potential 

worth saying I think we should look at any player that makes our squad better, young hungry players included. Like the look of the lad from Exeter, and we've done well to sign McAllister, needs an opportunity to settle then push on in next couple seasons (he's still young)

so...free transfers

I don't think we disagree. I think this season given our current position we have a chance to try some of our"potentials" as the risks are minimal .. Playoffs and relagation both not on the cards. Bennet and Elsnik need playing 

Archived