Formula One World Championship

RicME85

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Listening on radio driving home, seem to be suggesting it's contentious but stewards not interested?

Just a racing incident, has to be bad for them to investigate on first few corners. Would be classed as vettels fault but loads going on to say it was avoidable.

Made the race interesting.

5 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Just a racing incident, has to be bad for them to investigate on first few corners. Would be classed as vettels fault but loads going on to say it was avoidable.

Made the race interesting.

I don't think it was a concious decision from Vettel to run into Hamilton (as Brundle said, why would he jeopardise his chances by doing it deliberately), but it's become apparent that there are times when a red-mist descends and he simply loses control of himself - think back to Azerbaijan when he deliberately turned into Hamilton. I think in this case, he was upset that Verstappen had got past him and then saw Hamilton was also overtaking - he could see his hopes disappearing and because of his temperament, didn't take the care he should have which resulted in them touching. Also ironic that he tried to blame Massa for running him off the track when he'd actually gained an advantage during the manoeuvre - perhaps he thought that the Ferrari 'get out of jail free' card needed some assistance....

3 hours ago, Gaspode said:

I don't think it was a concious decision from Vettel to run into Hamilton (as Brundle said, why would he jeopardise his chances by doing it deliberately), but it's become apparent that there are times when a red-mist descends and he simply loses control of himself - think back to Azerbaijan when he deliberately turned into Hamilton. I think in this case, he was upset that Verstappen had got past him and then saw Hamilton was also overtaking - he could see his hopes disappearing and because of his temperament, didn't take the care he should have which resulted in them touching. Also ironic that he tried to blame Massa for running him off the track when he'd actually gained an advantage during the manoeuvre - perhaps he thought that the Ferrari 'get out of jail free' card needed some assistance....

Personally I think Vettell is a t****, but that's just me! 

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

If Red Bull can build a reliable car....plus don't rule out Alonso if he gets a decent engine

McLaren are supposed to have had an excellent car for a while now so put a half decent engine in and may see them much more competitive. Let's hope so.

11 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Vettel got a heap of understeer and was a passenger in that move - probably blamed Massa as he didn't want it to come across as diver error, but in truth he'd lost part of his front wing already and had less front downforce than expected on an already slippery surface.

Ridiculous to suggest that Vettel planned the collision that way. Nine times out of ten, if you damage your front wing, you ruin your race and that's exactly what happened. Vettel hasn't got 4 titles to his name by being that stupid.

You're right about the red mist thing though. He needs to sort that out if he wants to beat Hamilton on merit.

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

Wasn't contentious and I'm surprised the radio would suggest it was.

Radio commentator over reacts describing something happening in "live event". Now it would be a shock if they didn't wouldn't it?

To be fair, sometime after I'd posted they played it down as a racing accident. Was listening to it as I was travelling, so just asked at the time, the comments back and later reports make it clear it wasn't a big deal.

Moving on, also add I'm another who is fairly chuffed for Hamilton. Although he might not be everyone's cup of tea, he's a passionate winner and I admire his determination to do so. Whether he's an arrogant so and so, he's a British arrogant so and so, which gets my patriotic applause.

9 hours ago, Duracell said:

Vettel got a heap of understeer and was a passenger in that move - probably blamed Massa as he didn't want it to come across as diver error, but in truth he'd lost part of his front wing already and had less front downforce than expected on an already slippery surface.

Ridiculous to suggest that Vettel planned the collision that way. Nine times out of ten, if you damage your front wing, you ruin your race and that's exactly what happened. Vettel hasn't got 4 titles to his name by being that stupid.

You're right about the red mist thing though. He needs to sort that out if he wants to beat Hamilton on merit.

By the time of the Massa incident he'd already had his wing replaced so no excuses for what happened - his radio call blaming Massa was just to deflect from the fact that he'd gained an advantage (deliberately or not)....

As for the Hamilton collision - I said I didn't think it was a conscious decision on his part (so perhaps not so 'ridiculous'), but a sub-conscious (red mist) attempt to stop his title rival from getting clear - he could have eased off and avoided contact, but he didn't (probably expected them to bang tyres but didn't judge how quickly Hamilton was pulling away from him)

On 10/30/2017 at 15:22, Gaspode said:

So do I - but I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.....

Vettell had just as much to lose in that collision as Hamilton did. If he meant to do it then it backfired massively as Hamilton only needed to finish 9th to seal the title as opposed to 5th. He was magnanimous enough to pull alongside Hamilton and applaud him and congratulate him after the race on his achievement so I don't think he is a complete tosspot, he just moans a fair bit. 

Archived