Formula One World Championship

RicME85

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, curtains said:

Great win for Lewis In Japan. 

Might as well say the Championship too  Looks like game over for Vettel.

Max might keep racing interesting, when the red bulls changed tyres they fought hard; thought he was reeling Hamilton in until the last lap.

oh bye, bye Jolyon Palmer, what next for him?

5 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Might as well say the Championship too  Looks like game over for Vettel.

Max might keep racing interesting, when the red bulls changed tyres they fought hard; thought he was reeling Hamilton in until the last lap.

oh bye, bye Jolyon Palmer, what next for him?

Last 2 laps when tyre didn’t switch on after VSC was very tense with Max closing in but traffic helped Lewis for a change. 

Looks like Lewis will be World Champion again. 

Is Palmer retiring ! 

RE: Palmer - hopefully out of the sport so he can free up a seat for someone capable. Hulkenberg has completely smashed him.

Title is now all but over. Looks like Ferrari have had to sacrifice reliability in an effort to get on terms with Mercedes' pace.

I think if anything, the reliability problems Ferrari are having will take a bit of the shine off Hamilton's achievement. He's been superb this year but it was all set to go to the wire between him and Vettel and now we are being denied that a bit, with the only real wheel to wheel stuff being Spa and part of Baku.

Verstappen today really underlined his quality for me. To be pushing Hamilton close for most of the race when his team mate was able to keep Bottas behind was impressive. I rate Ricciardo (only person to beat Vettel as team mates) and he wasn't really anywhere near Verstappen after the first corner. Got a fight on his hands to keep with him next season I feel. Hopefully Red Bull can put a car together capable of fighting with Mercedes and Ferrari from the start of next season.

Sith Happens

Hamilton certainly helped by the traffic at the end, those red bulls must be fantastic cars to be competitive with a slower engine.

Going to take some turn around for Hamilton not to win it now, the ferraris keep shooting themselves in the foot.

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

RE: Palmer - hopefully out of the sport so he can free up a seat for someone capable. Hulkenberg has completely smashed him.

Bit harsh, Palmer isn't totally incapable but Hulk's experience over him his huge, like the mismatch between Hamilton and Bottas in some ways. Agree he's smashed him though.

Would prefer to see Di Resta back as a Brit, looks doubtful though. Need another Brit to come through for home interest, been spoilt a bit until now.

20 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Bit harsh, Palmer isn't totally incapable but Hulk's experience over him his huge, like the mismatch between Hamilton and Bottas in some ways. Agree he's smashed him though.

Would prefer to see Di Resta back as a Brit, looks doubtful though. Need another Brit to come through for home interest, been spoilt a bit until now.

George Russell perhaps?

Woke up after the Japan race to see him clinch the GP3 title in Jerez. 

Part of the Mercedes young driver programme, which should help. 

Tested for Mercedes in Budapest too.

42 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Palmer has been outqualified 16-0 I think this season and the race record isn't much better. Hulkenberg is decent - probably inside the top 10, but that's proof enough that Palmer just hasn't got it. For a manufacturer drive, Renault need to be aiming higher. Sainz is an improvement.

Di Resta was boring but didn't do too much wrong. Deserves a go more than some on the grid.

41 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

George Russell perhaps?

Good shout. Saw him close up at Silverstone this year, will only be 20 next year but then young Max showed young age is no barrier.

22 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Palmer has been outqualified 16-0 I think this season and the race record isn't much better. Hulkenberg is decent - probably inside the top 10, but that's proof enough that Palmer just hasn't got it. For a manufacturer drive, Renault need to be aiming higher. Sainz is an improvement.

Di Resta was boring but didn't do too much wrong. Deserves a go more than some on the grid.

Sure no argument there but if you look at the pedigree of Palmer to Sainz, I'd say up until F1, Palmers GP2 career is better, which is why I said inexperience against Hulkenberg has cost him.

We'll see how Sainz fairs but he already had a better chance to build a reputation at Toro Roso in F1 for 3 years than Palmer did last year, so that alone should help him more; not arguing, just saying Palmer was never likely to match Hulk in my eyes in only his second season. Could argue Palmer only made the grade due to his father in the first place if you want to be real harsh.

Di Resta makes Andy Murray look like he's got a personality :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2017 at 12:43, Zag zig said:

Good shout. Saw him close up at Silverstone this year, will only be 20 next year but then young Max showed young age is no barrier.

Sure no argument there but if you look at the pedigree of Palmer to Sainz, I'd say up until F1, Palmers GP2 career is better, which is why I said inexperience against Hulkenberg has cost him.

Palmer had a lot of money to find the best team in GP2 and spent 4 (!) seasons there before winning the title. Sainz never raced GP2 but did better in inferior machinery in further down the ladder and rose through more quickly.

Palmer isn't a bad driver, but he's nowhere near works-F1 territory. His money was needed, and now it isn't.

On 10/8/2017 at 11:42, reveldevil said:

George Russell perhaps?

Watch out for Lando Norris too.

Lifted the European F3 title this year (Max didn't manage that) at the age of 17. Already won 5 championships in cars since leaving karting. 

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

Watch out for Lando Norris too.

Lifted the European F3 title this year (Max didn't manage that) at the age of 17. Already won 5 championships in cars since leaving karting. 

Cool sounding name too!

On 23/10/2017 at 22:25, DEL said:

Nearly done it for Lewis Hamilton 4th F1 World Champions (should have been 5th time though bloody Nico Rosberg lol.) Mexico race is next one this weekend. 

#TeamLH ???

Yep, Mexico not expected to be a good track for the Mercs but should still do enough to secure it. Bottas has been a poor challenger really in the second merc this season.

Was surprised to read after the result that Max got demoted to 4th, but looking back at the footage i think the stewards got it right.

Archived