Ticket options?

Tony Le Mesmer

Hopefully I will be afforded some understanding about this matter from fellow forum users but I know from using this forum the last 10 months that you're all a great and fair bunch so i'm not too worried :unsure:.

As you know i'm a new ST holder and also have long standing issues with anxiety which recently has caused me to miss the last game v Brizzle. The car parking issue is a huge problem for me with not being able to purchase a pass for the official car park next season as well as Toys R Us stopping casual parking altogether now. On top of that it's just generally a struggle going to games with the sheer number of fans and having to set off hours early to do a short 30 odd mile journey to Derby just to bag a parking spot and then hanging around for hours getting anxious until kick off.

I have decided to go back to watching lower league football which is what i'm used to as everything about a matchday at that level is just so much more manageable and less stressful but I will go to Derby games in the cup against lower league opposition as I feel I could manage this with the easier parking options and significant reduction in attendances. It's a decision I have had to make and also away games have swayed my decision. I'm used to going to away games where there are 200 of us not 2000 plus. I cannot imagine myself being shoehorned in a small away section of some Championship ground along with 2-3000 other Rams. It would be too much to deal with so therefore, due to the Rams incredible away support I will never be able to go to or enjoy away games which were a huge part of me going to football before I started going to Derby.

It's an unusual set of circumstances I accept and I am not deserting Derby but just that I may have to go back to my old ways and maybe following two clubs. If I can get to Derby cup games then I will as well as any others I feel comfortable enough to do so.

I have been in touch with the club about this four times by email, asking that what my options are regarding my season ticket as I am unlikely to attend again this season and it's been nearly a week and I haven't heard anything. There are 9 or ten games left and I have 2 adults and one child seats in the North Stand totally empty for those remaining games and it's a shame someone cannot use them and also I cannot recoup a little bit back for them. I am prepared to sell them for pretty much next to nothing relatively speaking if allowed as there are over £500 worth of ticket money there if you were to buy each game.  I have asked the club what my options are as regards if I can sell them privately to others and if this is allowed or if I can get some money back. Not all of it, it's my fault ultimately and I don't want the club or fans missing out but as I have heard nothing I thought i'd put this out there to see if any of you knew anything about what to do with spare ST seats.

To be fair to them they've been a real help and very courteous and offered me some official parking for some of the remaining games but not all but they've said they cannot guarantee me a season pass for next season which is fair enough. I have no divine right or expectancy to jump the waiting list queue. It is what it is.

I will contact them again anyway but in the meantime........

Anyway, that's it really. Just wanted to say the above, ask for advice from you, apologise  and say that I will still dip in and out of the forum to still post now and then if that is acceptable? I don't know what sort of replies i'll get but all I can say is that I've used a few football forums in the past and this one has to be the best. The levels of nastiness and negativity compared to some are negligible if barely there at all.  Fair people, funny people and fantastic people.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope you stick around @Tony Le Mesmer, your lower league experiences mean you have a different viewpoint to many of us here. I enjoy your contributions and I'm sure others do too.

I really do hope you can find a way to beat your anxiety and return to PPS. 

In the meantime, if you can find someone to 'sell' your seat to, if they are in the same age band as your ticket, then I would surmise it wouldn't cause an issue..

There are numerous parking places on Riverside Road next to the ground. I turn up at 2:30 every week and always manage to get a spot. The only exception is when its the red dogs or a big prem team, I have to go about 2pm then. But normally i always get a spot. £5 parking. Can't go wrong. 

Hi Tony the flippant answer to avoid crowds would be to watch forest. In all seriousness mental health issues are terrible and often overlooked due to being an invisible illness. One thing you may consider is an ad in a local paper. A friend of mine did this and he pays a lady to leave his car on her driveway whilst at games. The lady doesn't have a car so enjoys a few quid and he has a guaranteed parking space. I can't think of away to help with away games other than pick the unpopular ones. I hope You can find a way to attend games but if not please keep posting, your posts are amongst those I consider as well informed and well written. You don't need to go every week to have an option. Half fans always welcomed on here. 

Sad to hear, you are one of the good ones mate. I am sure you will be as welcome at Pride Park as you will always be on here should you want to get to a match at any point. With regards to your season ticket a private sale may be your best option by the sounds of it.

I wish you all the best, hopefully the Rams can give us all something to smile about before the season is out.

Sorry to hear this, I am in the North Stand upper too, block D would you believe. We park just across the way near the storage place o Riverside, turn up between 14.15-14.30 and always find a spot. The odd occasion I have got there for 14.00 I have been spoilt for choice with parking always between £5-£6. Not in anyway promoting it but if you leave on 85mins you will have no issues getting out if you are heading toward intu/westfield. I hope this helps and I hope you manage to work something out. I am from Chesterfield and always back home for 17.30-17.45. Good luck.

Hi Tony,

Firstly if it's stressful and you struggle to cope with the crowds etc, why put yourself through it.. No point in making things worse. It's a massive shame that you can't enjoy the match day experience and I can't pretend to know how you feel in such situations. If it is not right for you, it's not right.

Secondly, I hope you stick around here, plenty follow this club from afar and are good supporters. There is enough media coverage for you to stay close to DCFC and keep posting here. 

As you said, odd games are still an option so get yourself down to PP when you can. 

Hopefully you can sort something, but dont worry about posting on here if you cant make it...blimey they even allow Forest fans to post :)

I am not sure about the tickets, i know its supposed to be ok to lend them to people aslong as they are the same age band, but not sure i would want to sell it to someone i dont know with it being in my name.

All the best.

13 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

There is plenty parking spaces elsewhere... Hope you stick around @Tony Le Mesmer

I don't suffer from anxiety myself but have a family member who does. It's generally the thought of the unknown that can bring on an episode. I'm not sure people providing alternative parking places will resolve the problem however well meaning. A guaranteed, therefore probably pre paid parking space is what is required, where he can leave home knowing he has a spot waiting and not the worry however small that it may be full. 

Tony

Keep with it, please. This place would be less without you. 

There are loads of places over the footbridge from TRU on the Chaddo side. The locals are great and along as you don't abuse their space, brilliantly understanding.

Happy to give you a specific postcode if that would help

I'm with you - hate being 'in with' huge crowds 

We get there early (2.00pm ish ). Take our time and just enjoy the build up . Its really great - you actually get to meet and speak to folk near you - they are lovely. 

Then just hang around afterwards - another cup of tea, bit of cake, wallow up the atmosphere. See how the lads react to the result - its amazing how few supporters  do but its a real filiip. Wonder why Pearce has a cult following ? Don't leave early.    . It helps not being unbeaten since MAC 2 return I grant you ! 

And then its an easy exit , no bother.

We come from over in the East.  Miles and miles away. It works . 

Make a day of it.

25 minutes ago, Lincolnshire Ram said:

What has happened at toys r us ?

The car park was deserted on Saturday. But I was sure the parking boards said you could phone to pay and park.

Didnt want to risk it so parked in the fireplace car park.

Anyone know the current situation at toys r us????????

Just permit holders only now.

13 minutes ago, Lincolnshire Ram said:

Thanks.

Does that mean you have to get some sort of season ticket  from them?

Yes, I don't know if you can buy one now. I know they have said they will sell so many next season but priority will be given to existing holders.

Some really kind and great replies and I've had some really supportive and kind PM's too so thanks everyone. It's taken me completely by surprise.  Parking advice welcomed so thanks. Derby are just too big a club though. Too many fans, too much for me to deal with regularly. Maybe I should hope that they do a Sheff U / Coventry / Portsmouth and drop through the divisions then attendances would halve and it would be easier but I don't think that would go down to well on here! :lol:

I'm a fan who loves football and I want to go to every game I can home and away. Going away to say Leeds, Barnsley, Villa or most other Championship grounds with Derby would be problematic due to the numbers of fans and the uncertainty again around parking and seating. When I went away in league 2 to places like Morecambe I could park up near the ground along with the other 2 fans :lol: and take my own time wandering around and taking my pick of seats inside. The queue for a coffee too would be three deep at times :lol:. It is pretty much stress free, I can enjoy the game without restrictions and sing if I feel compelled or move to a quiet area if I feel that way on that day. I'm not herded in with 3000 others and stuck. Away games are vitally important to me as a football fan and to be honest I wasn't expecting Derby to be as hugely well supported away from home than they are. No offence. ;)

So it's not just the parking. It's a whole raft of things that I thought I could work with and manage over time but although I've improved and am proud of myself for giving it a go at PP, I have to admit that I am just attending games through obligation now as the enjoyment element has been taken away because of the anxiety. That said, I did get to experience the spectacle of a Derby v Forest clash at PP for the first and probably only time and that will stay with me for ever. It's up there with the time I went to the McCain Stadium in the 90's to watch the titanic struggle between Scarborough and York City :p.

Seriously though. The East Midlands derby was immense so thank you.

What I intend to do from here on in is try and get to as many Rams games as possible from now and they will probably be home cup games and maybe league games that aren't likely to appeal to many. I won't go back to supporting York as I have strong feelings about them and how I've been treated and how they are run. Oddly enough I have a few friends in the South West with Torquay / Exeter connections and I've always agreed with fan run club ownership so I may join them now and again in going to watch Exeter and see where it goes. At least I will be in the company of people I am comfortable with and in footballing environments I am happy with. For me it's not about success. It's about enjoying and being happy.

That's what I will tell my kid when she is a bit older and the competitive 'must excel' nature of schooling and the adult world kick in. It's not about success at all costs - it's about doing what you enjoy doing and being happy. All the success and money in the world cannot give you that.

With regards my season ticket, Paul makes a good point as my ST is linked to me obviously and has my personal details stored on it so it may be best to not sell them. I just have to accept the financial loss. What I can do for somebody nearer the time is get two adult tickets for the Forest game as I know they will be in demand and as I have a ST I presume i'll be able to get my hands on some. I would want a die hard Rams fan to go if I couldn't.

That's it really. I like this forum and if Derby could be my 'joint club' with A N Other club then that would suit me.

Just thanks again everyone for all the amazing PM's and messages on here.

Superb support in more ways than one!

COYR!!

Archived