Too many changes

TheresOnlyWanChope

Disappointing to make so many changes. I agree it's important to use the squad but this was a massive match, year after year we are always out the cups fairly early. Maybe one semi-final in the league cup a few years ago. Other teams making changes, we should have played a full strength team, would rather have won this than this saturday (obviously no guarantees for either result). Maybe no one else cares about the FA cup anymore... gutted.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's us not caring about the FA Cup. More about us wanting to get promoted.

We have so many games this month, a few players struggling for fitness in key areas and a few players needing game time so Mac can have a proper look at them.

Did our bit, took it to ET, gave a decent showing, some lads got some needed minutes. Job done. Now let's get in the play off positions.

We could have chopped and changed as we go along this month. The idea behind fielding weaker teams in the cup and concentrating on the league is crazy unless we accept managers don't care about the cup. To make 8 changes for one match is too much. Blackman has had no football and he has to play up front on his own? Why not bring him on as sub up front or against Bristol. Where was Bent and Ince? Not good enough. We had momentum and should have kept it up... great chance at getting to quarter finals and semi finals. 

Unlike many of the teams in the top six of the Championship, we played a full strength team for the original tie. Last night the selection was pragmatic and justifiably so. MacClaren will have learnt about his squad by giving some of these players a chance, though it cost us that some of those selected were short of match practice.

I thought we gave a reasonable account of ourselves and it was only when they brought on their big guns (Mahrez, Slimani and Ndidi) that they started to overrun us. I think that giving full games to Lowe, Christie and Anya will pay dividends in fitness terms as the season pans out, and de Sart and Camara will doubtless grow in confidence after last night's performances. I'm afraid Blackman failed to impress me at all, with both Vydra and Nugent offering more in their limited time on the pitch. Butterfield seems to flit between moments of quality and moments of carelessness and seems to be lacking in confidence. Oh, and our fans were brilliant (again).

There is no shame in taking the Premier League champions to a replay and extra time so hold your heads up.

Bring on Bristol City. COYR.

Lots of positives last night:

It was a surprise to see Max Lowe back, great to see him Back.

Nugents season ending injury cleared up nicely, he looked good when he came on, with the few touches he was given.

I thought Vydra looked 'busy' and there is a player there.

Shackell had a good game.

Ince and Bent have had a full week to freshen up.

Nick Blackman was so comically awful I cannot imagine him playing up front on his own anytime soon (all eyes on Saturdays team sheet)

How could I not mention Anya or Camara...Both had good games.

2 hours ago, Davide said:

We could have chopped and changed as we go along this month. The idea behind fielding weaker teams in the cup and concentrating on the league is crazy unless we accept managers don't care about the cup. To make 8 changes for one match is too much. Blackman has had no football and he has to play up front on his own? Why not bring him on as sub up front or against Bristol. Where was Bent and Ince? Not good enough. We had momentum and should have kept it up... great chance at getting to quarter finals and semi finals. 

The players will be buzzing they haven't got to go to Millwall next weekend.

It wouldn't surprise me if all the players went abroad for 4/5 days straight after the Cardiff game for some slightly warmer winter training.

Mac got the selection spot on and gave some much needed minutes to a lot of players. Even better it went to ET because half that team won't be able to walk this morning and has now geared them up for the run in because most of those players will be needed at some point.

Of course there were too many changes but Mac had no choice if we are going to have a stab at the play offs this year....how much note moaning would there have been if once or bent had been injured with no one to replace them??

At least this way, players like Nugent,who could be vital to us once he's match fit get a chance to actually play without too much risk??

Fielding weaker teams in the cup makes no guarantees of winning the next game. Bournemouth played their reserve team against millwall have they done anything since? Players should be able to play twice a week. But to disrespect the cup competition like this (not just mcclaren but other managers) is poor. It's great to give players game time but some very odd choices- ince and Bent not even included? Plus players can get injured in any match. Leicester will probably fluke a cup win now. 

Just now, Davide said:

Fielding weaker teams in the cup makes no guarantees of winning the next game. Bournemouth played their reserve team against millwall have they done anything since? Players should be able to play twice a week. But to disrespect the cup competition like this (not just mcclaren but other managers) is poor. It's great to give players game time but some very odd choices- ince and Bent not even included? Plus players can get injured in any match. Leicester will probably fluke a cup win now. 

Players were injured, not really fit and can't play 3 games in a week - which bit don't you get?

Just now, Davide said:

So Ince and Bent were Injured? Carson injured? I guess every time we have a mid week match from now on then let's just play Mitchell in goal and Blackman up front on that logic 

Mac pointed out that some players couldn't play 3 games in a week - I'm assuming he meant Bent and Baird. He also mentioned that Carson suffered a groin 'tweek' vs Fester in the previous game.

How are the squad players to get match fit, or prove they are good enough? Who would you have played last night that would have made a huge difference?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Mac pointed out that some players couldn't play 3 games in a week - I'm assuming he meant Bent and Baird. He also mentioned that Carson suffered a groin 'tweek' vs Fester in the previous game.

How are the squad players to get match fit, or prove they are good enough? Who would you have played last night that would have made a huge difference?

I would have played Bent up front and played Ince too or at least brought him on from the bench. I wouldn't have started Blackman simply because he has not had a lot of match time I would have used him as a sub. 

If Bent can't play three matches in a week then start Vydra against Bristol. Bent has scored a lot in the cups. Always play to win the match. I didn't know Carson had a tweak although he played in the last match so I presumed he was fit.

I agree good to use players in the squad but I don't believe they can't also be used in league matches too. I'm obviously in a minority but I value cup competitions and don't like the idea of weakened teams. 

Just now, Davide said:

I agree good to use players in the squad but I don't believe they can't also be used in league matches too. I'm obviously in a minority but I value cup competitions and don't like the idea of weakened teams. 

I value cup games too, but I'd rather we saved Bent for the Bristol game as neither Vydra nor Blackman can hit a cows @rse with a banjo and Nuge needs more match time. Mac needed to be able to play the squad players, give them a chance, so hopefully he can get rid with a clear conscience!

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

I value cup games too, but I'd rather we saved Bent for the Bristol game as neither Vydra nor Blackman can hit a cows @rse with a banjo and Nuge needs more match time. Mac needed to be able to play the squad players, give them a chance, so hopefully he can get rid with a clear conscience!

Thinking about it we would still never beat Leicester away with whatever team we put out. 

Archived