Too many changes

TheresOnlyWanChope

3 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

...but it is just alien to me that we seem to accept not giving ourselves every opportunity to win every game.

This is the point - you see playing squad players as lessening the opportunity to win every game whereas it's taking a long approach.

If Bent and Baird had played against Fester would you expect (nay, demand!) that they played against Bristol?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How many changes would have been acceptable to you? Why do you think you know better than Mac - he didn't set out to lose, whether or not the Cup is a lower priority. They are NOT the same things, wanting to lose and lower priority - do you get it?

I think it was a good showing from the squad and further highlighted our lack of fire power up front and midfield provision. Their team beat our team, end of!

I've answered this a thousand times.. IF a player is carrying a knock or has other issues then there is a reason to not play them. But that applies to ANY game not just cup fixtures. Max 2 or 3 if you want me to put a number on it.. Something that does not disrupt the team too much 8 nah, not having that..

He may not have set out to lose but did not give himself his best opportunity to win - do you get it?

Explain to me when this has been an a positive before. 

We do seem to love a glorious failure don't we.. The last paragraph encapsulates that perfectly. if we went out there with our best available 11 and got beat, I would doff my hat to Leicester and say well done. We didn't. 

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

This is the point - you see playing squad players as lessening the opportunity to win every game whereas it's taking a long approach.

If Bent and Baird had played against Fester would you expect (nay, demand!) that they played against Bristol?

Yep why not? They won't be doing much on Thursday and Friday, it will all be about recovery, massages and rest.

Plenty of other sports out there that are a lot more demanding than football.

To follow your logic then Keogh should be rested on Saturday now?

4 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

He may not have set out to lose but did not give himself his best opportunity to win - do you get it?

Explain to me when this has been an a positive before. 

Right cliché time.

Its a squad game. Those who played which wouldn't you have played? Did they play to the best of their abilities? Then that was our best chance to win.

As I said would you have played Bent & Baird and then play them against Bristol? Would two players who have reached the limit of their ages/fitnesses(?) ability to play 3 very competitive games in a week have given us the best chance to win against Bristol? I don't think so.

No Keogh doesn't need resting, the others did - they're not all the same.

38 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

he didn't set out to lose, whether or not the Cup is a lower priority

McClaren pretty much said as much pre game to the BBC, had the game fallen a day earlier the team would have been different. 

2 days recovery time before Bristol City isn't enough for some players. 

Also spoke of players injured and carrying knocks, as a fan we're not privy to the full extent of these injuries and players fitness so it's hard to be overly critical.

I can understand the frustration of those that paid for a ticket and travelled up to see the game, you expect to see a full strength side giving it a go. 

Saying that you could easily argue all but Mitchell and Lowe were bought as first team players so it was a fairly strong side.

Ince, Bent, Pearce, Russell, Olsson....stick each of these in one by one until you feel it would have been a decent team and have no complaints, where would you get up to?

We do need a big performance on Saturday from the team or the Leicester team selection will be looked at again.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Right cliché time.

Its a squad game. Those who played which wouldn't you have played? Did they play to the best of their abilities? Then that was our best chance to win.

As I said would you have played Bent & Baird and then play them against Bristol? Would two players who have reached the limit of their ages/fitnesses(?) ability to play 3 very competitive games in a week have given us the best chance to win against Bristol? I don't think so.

No Keogh doesn't need resting, the others did - they're not all the same.

How do you know they have reached their limit? What do you base that on?

Bent is what 33, hardly a headless chicken when he plays.. 

ive answered all these points before.

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

I base it on the manager saying so. Not on your opinion of their ability. You might have answered the points, but yuou done that by saying 'I know better than the manager'. My opinion is that you don't you're just a fan.

6 minutes ago, David said:

McClaren pretty much said as much pre game to the BBC, had the game fallen a day earlier the team would have been different. 

Yes and if my grandma had wheels she'd be a waggon! It wasn't earlier and he couldn't. So he picked the best team to play to win.

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I base it on the manager saying so. Not on your opinion of their ability. You might have answered the points, but yuou done that by saying 'I know better than the manager'. My opinion is that you don't you're just a fan.

Which takes me back to the answer I gave you earlier... If there is a reason to drop one or two, that's fine if they are carrying knocks. Now you are just basing your argument on two players, not 8 changes... Have a look at the title of the thread.

I did not say I know better than the manager, you even put that's in quotation marks ... Jeez are you sure... 

I understand the goal is premier league. The money and rewards of achieving that is amazing. The money allows for a massive investment in a club's infrastructure, playing staff and profile but leaving out key players just because it's a cup game doesn't sit right with me. Firstly, there is no guarantee in winning the next league match. For me, a squad should be used properly over the course of a season. 

I would love to see Derby win a cup. League cup, league or FA cup. Leicester had the right idea in the 90s in the league cup. They played strong teams and won it twice. It may not be a major competition but a club of Derby's size should be aiming for some glory. 

I don't want to be overly critical of McClaren but I was disappointed as a travelling supporter to go to Leicester and find out neither Ince or Bent were in the starting lineup. I think our squad was not necessarily a reserve team ( Anya is great and Camara deserves a chance), but do we think in a regular mid week league match Ince, Bent (and Carson) would be left out? Maybe if I was manager and I was under pressure to achieve promotion over anything I would understand better, I just am sad derby are out of both the Fa cup and league cup again for another season. Having said that, our team competed fairly well although there didn't seem to be much potency in attack. 

Maybe one day we will win a cup. I can dream I guess! 

33 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Which takes me back to the answer I gave you earlier... If there is a reason to drop one or two, that's fine if they are carrying knocks. Now you are just basing your argument on two players, not 8 changes... Have a look at the title of the thread.

I have, I asked you which of the changes weren't acceptable to you, I gave a couple of players as a for instance - but it seems all eight have to play is your reply!

59 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Bent's missed one of the two games in the league before whenever we've been Wednesday-Saturday

23 minutes ago, Davide said:

...but leaving out key players just because it's a cup game doesn't sit right with me. Firstly, there is no guarantee in winning the next league match. For me, a squad should be used properly over the course of a season. 

They weren't left out just because it was a cup game, it was down to, injuries and the number of matches in close proximity.

We played a 'first team' in the original tie, if Mac wasn't bothered about winning the game why not just do what other teams do and put the reserves in then?

I have no complaints about the team we played. Most of the changes for forced on us, and those that weren't, were ntelligent use of the squad. If you want to build team spirit sometimes the forgotten men need a chance. Big picture 

Without Will's class we were always going to up against it and when they had a bench like theirs it would have been quite exceptional if we had won. As it was we took them to the wire. 

I hate losing but we kept our heads up, there can be no shame in how it turned out. 

The only issue I had was with Blackman starting rather than Vydra, though his decision to do so has probably taught him a lot.

Only Anya and possibly Lowe pressed real claims for a place.

Back to normal back five tomorrow, Ince, Bent and Anya up front and the three fittest midfielders available.

8 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

How do you know the players will be buzzing about not playing Millwall.. You post that like some sort of fact, back it up.

How was the extra time a good thing! I keep hearing that players can't play 2 games in a week, yet now you are banging on about extra time being a good thing.. SOME of those very players who played will be playing on Saturday. Or are we going rest all 15 which makes the giving the players 'sharpness' point made by a previous poster even more ridiculous.

Someone please let me have an example of where this works. Liverpool? Extra days before games? I seem to remember we had a weekend off last year and then threw in one of our worst displays of the season.

Touched a nerve eh.. 

Is this not a place for opinions or have you missed that.. Stand your corner, no problem with that poppet.

7 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Touched a nerve eh.. 

Is this not a place for opinions or have you missed that.. Stand your corner, no problem with that poppet.

Not at all . You can have an opinion , it's just that you expect everyone else to share the same as yours and deride them if not. (Plenty of your posts on here and elsewhere show this.)

You must be very insecure to have had to create your 'angry persona' . Shouldn't fool anyone. 

6 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Ella and I disagree on many things, he lives in Nottingham, so No I am not sure. He's met Fawaz.. Agent Ella? I leave you to decide.

only joking Ella mate.

I don't want to fall out with you, got the hump slightly with the parasite comment.. I respect your opinions on lots of matters but it is just alien to me that we seem to accept not giving ourselves every opportunity to win every game.

I listen to the arguments but nobody has come up with anything that has swayed me. Some just down right contradict themselves in the same post.

I suppose there are degrees of passion within supporters. It just comes across that some have an 'oh well, we weren't interested in that anyway' attitude.. Seems strange to me, I just scratch my head. 

That's fair enough mate.

I have to admit to being a bit of a Mac fanboy. Was so fed up of going to games before he came. If that was a Pearson line up I'd probably question it. I just give Mac I high credit rating. 

I apologise for the parasite comment, dude. 

27 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Not at all . You can have an opinion , it's just that you expect everyone else to share the same as yours and deride them if not. (Plenty of your posts on here and elsewhere show this.)

You must be very insecure to have had to create your 'angry persona' . Shouldn't fool anyone. 

Don't expect you or anyone to share my views.. Those who know me and there are a few who post on here, will tell you I am far from angry.. At least RayMac5 gave an alternate arguement which is fine.. I respect that, we don't agree and we are now going around in circles but he has a view.  You did not, so perhaps you can't follow up.

To be honest I have never really noticed your posts so can't tell what your posting style is like.. perhaps you should put em on ignore.. I won't miss you.

Archived