My honest opinion of the two games!

DazaDunn

I went to both games and I just wanted to compile my thoughts. I can see why Leicester are struggling. They scored two great goals in ET but other than that I failed to see real quality. We should have beaten them in the first game and tonight we also had chances to finish them off. 

I thought the handball incident was no different to the one we had denied at our place. Arms by side means no handball right? 

With a full side, we'd have beaten them tonight. Fitness won this game in the end. I was confident Leicester wouldn't retain their title but didn't think they'd turn this bad night. I thought they'd finish 11th or something. Over both games I've come away saying they look nothing like premier league champions. 

Thought we played some good stuff over both games, could and should have got through first game but oh well. This is only another distraction which could play a part in their relegation battle. We've done ourselves very proud, the fans were quality tonight. I just wished we'd have seen Ince on instead of Russell or Nugent. 

Might sound bitter but I genuinely don't believe LCFC are very good. We can easily match them with a full squad. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I didn't think Mitchell was great, his distribution was poor finding the touchline on numerous occasions and slowing down play by holding the ball whilst teams returned to position, Vydra played better and had more movement, nice to see Christie back.

9 minutes ago, rammieib said:

What did we create in 90 mins. They should have had one penalty for sure, Mitchell lucky to be on the pitch, and numerous opportunities.

we had a lucky deflected free kick for our play.

We didn't create too much, but I don't think they created huge amounts during 90 minutes. Was it handball? I mean it hit his hand but so did the one in the first game. His hands were by his side and he didn't have time to move the ball away. If that's a free kick for handball doesn't that mean ours was a penalty? 

Mitchell played ok but his distribution was slow and admittedly he looked like the nerves got the better of him.

14 minutes ago, DazaDunn said:

We didn't create too much, but I don't think they created huge amounts during 90 minutes. Was it handball? I mean it hit his hand but so did the one in the first game. His hands were by his side and he didn't have time to move the ball away. If that's a free kick for handball doesn't that mean ours was a penalty? 

Mitchell played ok but his distribution was slow and admittedly he looked like the nerves got the better of him.

First game the ball richoched off the knee. Tonight, I felt that he chose to put himself in that position and any ball hitting the arm would be a foul. He could choose to put his arms behind his back for instance...

His kicking was diabolical. Just didn't see the point of not playing Carson.

8 minutes ago, rammieib said:

First game the ball richoched off the knee. Tonight, I felt that he chose to put himself in that position and any ball hitting the arm would be a foul. He could choose to put his arms behind his back for instance...

His kicking was diabolical. Just didn't see the point of not playing Carson.

Yep, kicking was diabolical. In the first game, the ball hit the knee of another play bouncing up to the hand of the defender. If the ball hits the hand it's handball. I believe both were fouls tbh. If the one was given in the first game, there wouldn't have been a replay unless we missed the penalty.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Fitness didn't win it, the better team did.

Fitness definately played a part. Our team looks knackered physically in extra time and probably mentally too when they totally run out of ideas on how to break them down and get in behind them. The biggest reason we didnt, was tempo and ability to move the ball quicker.

Extra time they still had the pace and quickness of pass to put us under pressure.

The pace they have in their side is definately an advantage when counter attacking, we dont have anyone like Grey, Musa or Vardy. Vydra is the only player we have with genuine pace, but we cant seem to find a system to use him effectively

5 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Fitness definately played a part. Our team looks knackered physically in extra time and probably mentally too when they totally run out of ideas on how to break them down and get in behind them. The biggest reason we didnt, was tempo and ability to move the ball quicker.

Extra time they still had the pace and quickness of pass to put us under pressure.

The pace they have in their side is definately an advantage when counter attacking, we dont have anyone like Grey, Musa or Vardy. Vydra is the only player we have with genuine pace, but we cant seem to find a system to use him effectively

I think one of the key differences was our lack of support for the man with the ball. Often players like Camara and Anya beat a player and then we're looking for an off ball and we were miles away. This then makes the winger look greedy and there's tension when they lose the ball. We need to hunt in packs more.

29 minutes ago, europia said:

From our starting line up, with the exception of Mitchell, Blackman, maybe Camara. which players would be considered reserves?

Maybe reserves is a little harsh but look how many from last night will play Saturday. Keogh, Johnson, Butterfield. And you could argue that if Hughes or Bryson were fit then Butterfield wouldn't be playing. So 2/3 out of that team if you go by recent selections. 

7 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Not sure how our players would not match a PL team for fitness? DCFC have training facilities probably superior to Leicester City. I could understand certain players not being match fit through lack of games, but for those who play regularly there is absolutely no reason that they wouldn't be at peak fitness as full time professional footballers. However it may be a question of athleticism and mental awareness? Perhaps PL teams have better athletes with quicker footballing brains? Fine margins I guess....

The second match was like a boxing contest where we skipped around, ducking and diving, but never threw any punches. 

Only to then get caught by two haymakers in the last round.

The biggest lesson. 

We don't offer much threat.

10 hours ago, DazaDunn said:

I went to both games and I just wanted to compile my thoughts. I can see why Leicester are struggling. They scored two great goals in ET but other than that I failed to see real quality. We should have beaten them in the first game and tonight we also had chances to finish them off. 

I thought the handball incident was no different to the one we had denied at our place. Arms by side means no handball right? 

With a full side, we'd have beaten them tonight. Fitness won this game in the end. I was confident Leicester wouldn't retain their title but didn't think they'd turn this bad night. I thought they'd finish 11th or something. Over both games I've come away saying they look nothing like premier league champions. 

Thought we played some good stuff over both games, could and should have got through first game but oh well. This is only another distraction which could play a part in their relegation battle. We've done ourselves very proud, the fans were quality tonight. I just wished we'd have seen Ince on instead of Russell or Nugent. 

Might sound bitter but I genuinely don't believe LCFC are very good. We can easily match them with a full squad. 

great post echos my thoughts exactly this is a really refreshing post as opposed to the posts of the usual wrist slashers expert tactitions and gloom mongers who spend there time on here pulling this team apart

Didn't see the game as working away but for me, Not having Hughes and Bryson due to injury played a massive part. Without them, midfield balance is all wrong. Butterfield isn't a box to box, so midfield doesn't support forwards enough. And there's also the fact Butterfield despite numerous opportunities continues to not perform to the level required.

7 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

What have we learned? Leicester reserves are better than Derby reserves. 

Actually, it's that Leicester reserves are as good as derby reserves (1-1 at full time). But they're better than us when they bring in £45m worth of substitutes + Mahrez. 

And we were massively missing Hughes. You could see there were situations where we just needed that killer ball to unlock them, and there was no one there with the quality to deliver it. 

Archived