My honest opinion of the two games!

DazaDunn

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found both games interesting. Leicester were clearly "up" for both games so it was a good test, we did well in patches over the 2 games. Any notion of Leicester being rubbish and thinking we should have beaten them is a bit silly. We gave them a game, and in the end it was several million pounds of strike force that was the difference, and especially last night without our best 2 attacking players and main creator the gap was stark. 

Our inability to counter attack at pace is something that really needs to be addressed in the summer.

16 hours ago, DazaDunn said:

We didn't create too much, but I don't think they created huge amounts during 90 minutes. Was it handball? I mean it hit his hand but so did the one in the first game. His hands were by his side and he didn't have time to move the ball away. If that's a free kick for handball doesn't that mean ours was a penalty? 

Mitchell played ok but his distribution was slow and admittedly he looked like the nerves got the better of him.

I disagree with the last line, I lost count of the times Mitchell got the ball and looked for a quick release and nobody was showing for him, he put an arm up a couple of times as if to say 'well who f****n' wants it ? and nobody was up for taking responsibility. 

9 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Our inability to counter attack at pace is something that really needs to be addressed in the summer.

Butterfield seemed to kill the momentum of many potential attacks, by passing back or back/wide.  I fear there might have not been a pass on for him, as the Foxes were doing their job. George Thorne would find a forward pass. GT gets fit this summer. Sorted. 

Considering over the two games the 'class' i.e. the 'large' quantity of current international players and cost of those players Leicester had at their disposal in both matches I think we put up a very good show. It just goes to show that our 'second string players' are capable of holding the own against the current Champions of England

With our full strength side playing we may even have won.

Good effort from the lads.

For me what I think I've learnt ( had confirmed ) is that our recruitment policy over the last couple of years has been poor or lacked direction ,, by that I mean that with 8 changes we can see we can put out a very capable second string and it shows that we have either by design or mistake brought in a lot of players who you could argue endlessly over whether they should be starting over their regular first team counterpart ,we have kind of bought a similar quality back up team rather than perhaps buying a few less but far better quality to improve what was a very decent championship team , it must be quite tricky to pick and justify your first eleven as our manager at the moment ,,, Hughes ,ince, keough ,Carson stand out but the rest are much of a muchness

59 minutes ago, unclej said:

Butterfield seemed to kill the momentum of many potential attacks, by passing back or back/wide.  I fear there might have not been a pass on for him, as the Foxes were doing their job. George Thorne would find a forward pass. GT gets fit this summer. Sorted. 

It would help, but not quite sorted there were times that Anya got away quickly but the support was so slow in coming it was ridiculous. Butterfield gets a lot of flack for the "negative" pass but it's not just him it's right through the team.

7 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Didn't see the game as working away but for me, Not having Hughes and Bryson due to injury played a massive part. Without them, midfield balance is all wrong. Butterfield isn't a box to box, so midfield doesn't support forwards enough. And there's also the fact Butterfield despite numerous opportunities continues to not perform to the level required.

Didn't watch the game but Butterfield to blame. Catchy little tune. 

12 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

It would help, but not quite sorted there were times that Anya got away quickly but the support was so slow in coming it was ridiculous. Butterfield gets a lot of flack for the "negative" pass but it's not just him it's right through the team.

He gets a lot of flack for retaining possession, basically. There was very little ahead of him and De Sart but I felt both used the ball well. What are people expecting? To just launch it forward purely because it's forward? There's no target. Martin was that man. None of the current strikers can hold the ball or win much aerially. The midfielders then look instead to play it wide, to Ince etc as that's where we become dangerous. 

There is an issue with midfield and that's that all of them lack pace to go past opponents. They might have the odd trick here and there but driving through? No. And for whatever reason, Butterfield has been much deeper this season than he was last. If he plays then get him up and around the box. 

With Hughes and Bryson back fit Mac now has most of his midfielders available. He could do with picking a regular trio and hoping it clicks. 

Their first-choice matchday squad is better than ours tbf. They didn't fluke their way to the Premier League. They lost three games all season and won by ten points.....the sort of season Man Utd would put together under Fergie. I think their change of fortunes is down to a combination of things. For me, these are (in reverse order of significance) a simple change of fortune on the field, the excellent Kante going elsewhere and a drop in motivation levels amongst the players.

I can't see them getting relegated and although I think they deservedly went through I feel we acquitted ourselves well enough over the three FA Cup games against top-flight opposition.

4 hours ago, Rampant said:

Their first-choice matchday squad is better than ours tbf. They didn't fluke their way to the Premier League. They lost three games all season and won by ten points.....the sort of season Man Utd would put together under Fergie. I think their change of fortunes is down to a combination of things. For me, these are (in reverse order of significance) a simple change of fortune on the field, the excellent Kante going elsewhere and a drop in motivation levels amongst the players.

I can't see them getting relegated and although I think they deservedly went through I feel we acquitted ourselves well enough over the three FA Cup games against top-flight opposition.

Put it this way. In the three games (over 90 mins), we won 1 and drew 2, in one home game and two away games. If this was the premier league, we would be undefeated and already be nearly half way  to our 11 point target.

Archived