Dead deadline day

Chester40

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a case of not being able to get the 1 or 2 targets we identified for the right price, then moving on. 

Signing Hughes and Martin was Big imo, and the club may be better off keeping the powder dry until the summer when fees are not as inflated. 

Also, doing little this window really opens up the scope for summer as we are another window along for ffp (even though we are safe, it widens the gap of what we can do). 

Not too disappointed overall. 

Personally I was a little underwhelmed with the Nugent signing...but looking at the prices paid over a sustained period now for the likes of Hogan,  Rhodes, McCormack...its got to be said it was a good price for a player who is comparable to them.

I've always liked Nugent and I'm pleased we've signed him, but I've always rated McCormack too and seeing him go to the gumps on loan did get me wondering...given all that has been written in the transfer threads on these two players (age, ability, scoring record, attitude, desire, garden gates etc)........which club has got the best outcome?

My own view......Nugent....because of his know how, track record and the fact that everyone speaks about him being a real team player. Fingers crossed!!!

(Whilst I know they would impact views, I'm deliberately overlooking the fees/financials).

We've got the same team as we had yesterday. Settled. Winning. Nobody coming in with a bit of attitude and dodgy gates etc. We did our important business before yesterday.

Sounds alright to me tbh. 

1 minute ago, MrsRam said:

We've got the same team as we had yesterday. Settled. Winning. Nobody coming in with a bit of attitude and dodgy gates etc. We did our important business before yesterday.

Sounds alright to me tbh. 

Exactly. We had a little New Year blip (away at a Norwich side full of quality and a Leeds side who played very well) and we're now back to winning ways.

After Saturday, we'll have played 3 of the top 6 twice, plus arguabley the best of the rest in Norwich.

Big changes were not needed and I'm not really sure who deserves/needs to be replaced. Even a star left winger could upset the balance as Russell works so hard and allows the LB to attack too. Anya and Camara are decent competition for this position too.

No need to rock the boat with new players. Our record under Mac this season is plenty good enough to make playoffs (needs fact checking, although who cares about the truth these days).

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

What surprises me is the fact we sent Weimann out on loan and didn't get anyone else in. Both Russell and Anya get their fair share of injuries and out of the 3 players I believe Weimann would score goals in a Mac team.

Nugent was a good signing.

De Saart will be prove valuable Im sure. 

Regarding left wing I think we have ample cover if needs be. Russell Camara Anya Vydra Lowe elsnick and Johnson could all play in that position. 

Bringing in anyone else would have just left others without a chance to show what they can do. Players like Blackman Camara Vydra etc are just going to go down in any future transfer fees gained if they aren't playing due to new signings.

good call to stick and decide what targets we need in the summer. Will be interesting to see what we do with Bent and Baird who I believe are both out of contract.

theres a couple of targets I'd liked to of seen us take a chance on, Watkins and bogle but I trust in Mac to know it wasn't right for the club

I wrote this season off early on, just hoping we wouldn't spend much of it in a dour battle to avoid relegation. We are in a good place that seemed inconceivable as the Pearson era stumbled on, never even scoring a goal but sending our top scorer out on loan to a rival, not even capitalizing with a hefty transfer fee as his contract wound down.

As the window closes, Martin's long-term future is secure. Even more incredibly so is Hughes's. We sit on the edge of the playoffs, still with 18 games left to cement our place. In have come two new signings, an old pro in Nugent and a young prospect in McAllister and then the loan of De Sart. And McClaren gas proved himself with past loan deals.

We sold Grant for a great fee. Thanks Lee - though I was always terrified when in recent times you wore the shirt. Weale left - that particular embarrassment is over. Out on loan went Weimann because there isn't room and he needs to play, and Hanson ditto. Also Vernam, Rawson and Guy to prove themselves a league below.

We clearly didn't need to bloat the squad further. It was a great window. I'm confident at least 20 games remain, not something I'd have said late September when I'd given up (wake me up when September ends). I hope it's 21. What a season it will be if the 21st game from now is a win.

42 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I wrote this season off early on, just hoping we wouldn't spend much of it in a dour battle to avoid relegation. We are in a good place that seemed inconceivable as the Pearson era stumbled on, never even scoring a goal but sending our top scorer out on loan to a rival, not even capitalizing with a hefty transfer fee as his contract wound down.

As the window closes, Martin's long-term future is secure. Even more incredibly so is Hughes's. We sit on the edge of the playoffs, still with 18 games left to cement our place. In have come two new signings, an old pro in Nugent and a young prospect in McAllister and then the loan of De Sart. And McClaren gas proved himself with past loan deals.

We sold Grant for a great fee. Thanks Lee - though I was always terrified when in recent times you wore the shirt. Weale left - that particular embarrassment is over. Out on loan went Weimann because there isn't room and he needs to play, and Hanson ditto. Also Vernam, Rawson and Guy to prove themselves a league below.

We clearly didn't need to bloat the squad further. It was a great window. I'm confident at least 20 games remain, not something I'd have said late September when I'd given up (wake me up when September ends). I hope it's 21. What a season it will be if the 21st game from now is a win.

Carl that is exactly how I feel I thought we were genuinely heading towards a relagation scrap with hardly any of the players seemingly wanting to play for Pearson. I even booked a holiday and I miss Rotherham away and wolves at home at the end of the season just getting back for the playoffs if we get there.

4 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Carl that is exactly how I feel I thought we were genuinely heading towards a relagation scrap with hardly any of the players seemingly wanting to play for Pearson. I even booked a holiday and I miss Rotherham away and wolves at home at the end of the season just getting back for the playoffs if we get there.

Hope you return just in time to witness up sweeping away all-comers and storming into the Prem. When earlier in the season the dream was totally gone. And have a great holiday before it happens!

8 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

What surprises me is the fact we sent Weimann out on loan and didn't get anyone else in. Both Russell and Anya get their fair share of injuries and out of the 3 players I believe Weimann would score goals in a Mac team.

We've Anya, Russell and Camara on the left. I don't think Johnny is especially injury prone and 3 left wingers ought to suffice. Presumably Mac felt of the four, Weimann was most surplus to requirements and I'm happy to trust his judgement on that score. I'd rather see some sensible cover for Ince on the right as he'll need a rest from time to time - God forbid he gets injured.

39 minutes ago, 86 points said:

We've Anya, Russell and Camara on the left. I don't think Johnny is especially injury prone and 3 left wingers ought to suffice. Presumably Mac felt of the four, Weimann was most surplus to requirements and I'm happy to trust his judgement on that score. I'd rather see some sensible cover for Ince on the right as he'll need a rest from time to time - God forbid he gets injured.

Johnny could cover on right from time to time I think? As long as we don't burn him out. Mac should have enough resources to manage with.

Archived