Ipswich Town v Derby County match day thread

DEL

What a night that was. I said beforehand that I don't like Ipswich. Not the club, but the place itself. It's one of the poorer away days and the conditions weren't great. Are they ever down there? I associate rain with Ipswich. But I also associate it with three points. 

Got to my seat quite late as I bumped into a fellow Ram I've not seen in years. That's what I love about following my club, you meet some great people over the years and as I'm edging towards 40 years following Derby I've met so many. And none of them are as negative as the fans you get online. Unless they actually are, online, but lovely in person? Who knows. Anyway, I digress. 

We were magnificent last night. From minute one to 90. Not a bad player out there and the performance was something you hope for before every game kicks off. They don't come around so often so forgive me for banging on in this thread but if I have to put up with the constant negative drivel from some on here then they can put up with my clapping happily right now. :lol:

We came out of the blocks like a dream. Everyone's touch and passing was on the money. Granted, Ipswich didn't help themselves and I'm sure their supporters will say they were garbage but I'm not sure any side would have coped with us last night. 

The first goal was Ince inspired. Immaculate touch, waited patiently to pick out the best option (he had Johnson, Butterfield and Bryson asking for it) and Bryson finished with aplomb from the edge of the box. After what seemed an eternity without a goal, Bryson now has two in two and looks the player we all know he is. Shame on those who wrote him off. 

The Ince goal was pure football. Johnson won it in midfield, chests it down for Butterfield who finds Baird on halfway and his slide-rule ball for Ince was ridiculous. But not as ridiculous as Ince's finish. World class. 

The Ipswich keeper then pulled off a great save to turn a Bryson effort onto the bar. But from that, they allowed Butterfield all the space in the world to pick out a cross and despite ending up on his arse, his cross was perfect and Benty had the simplest of headers for 3-0. The mood among the home fans was poisonous by now. 

Bryson and Ince were pressing everywhere and Butterfield and Johnson held and dictated. The midfield looked as good as I've seen it in a long time. And without our best midfielder.. 

Ince should have had a glorious second after the break when he first won the ball in our third, linked with Butterfield who slipped in Bent and his pull back should have been finished off by Tom but I think it hit the outside of the post. 

Bryson went close with two shots on the run, Ipswich couldn't cope with him. And it was his interception and break that saw Ince pick out Butters with the outside of his boot but Jacob took it down and found the outside of the same post. Is he jinxed this year or what? Could have had 5 or 6 this season but seems destined not to score. Part of me wishes he'd hit that one on the volley, would have been goal of the season. 

Ratings: 

Carson: Had literally nothing to do. Think he made one save second half but not sure. 6 

Baird: Huge performance. Got forward more than he usually does. Was instrumental in lots of our positive first half work. 8 

Keogh: Standard. Had little to worry him. Went close to scoring in the opening minutes from a Butterfield corner. 7

Pearce: Busier than Keogh but did the simple stuff, got rid when needed and won headers galore. 7 

Olsson: Linked nicely with Razza, a quieter game than most but didn't put a foot wrong for me. 6 

Johnson: Back to his best. Dominated his area and kept the ball moving on to those around him who did the damage. Ipswich fans hate him. I don't. 8

Bryson: The Bryson of old. Tenacious, driven and could have scored more on the night. Let him play his game and he plays well. Pearson had him down as a workhorse in a two. Tragic. He has goals to offer. 9

Butterfield: The most recently nominated scapegoat. No idea why. Was the heartbeat last night. More touches, passes and involved in everything positive. If we didn't have Hughes this lad would be adored. He is some player but needs to keep showing it. 9

Camara: Mates at the match felt he was brilliant last night and I agree he looked the part. Very direct and worried the opposition. A proper winger. 7

Ince: Unplayable. The perfect performance really. A dream goal, an assist and worked as hard as anyone on the pitch. Destined for the top whether we get there or not. 10

Bent: He's not Martin. I love Martin. But he's a goal scorer and he's improved his game under Mac. Leads the line well now. Streets ahead of Vydra. 7

Overall, it's a huge three points with Barnsley and Wednesday dropping points against poor sides. This weekend is massive. I'm confident in our defensive side of the game, we can keep them out. But we need the midfield and forwards to replicate last night. 

Trust in Mac. Up the ? 

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

What a night that was. I said beforehand that I don't like Ipswich. Not the club, but the place itself. It's one of the poorer away days and the conditions weren't great. Are they ever down there? I associate rain with Ipswich. But I also associate it with three points. 

Got to my seat quite late as I bumped into a fellow Ram I've not seen in years. That's what I love about following my club, you meet some great people over the years and as I'm edging towards 40 years following Derby I've met so many. And none of them are as negative as the fans you get online. Unless they actually are, online, but lovely in person? Who knows. Anyway, I digress. 

We were magnificent last night. From minute one to 90. Not a bad player out there and the performance was something you hope for before every game kicks off. They don't come around so often so forgive me for banging on in this thread but if I have to put up with the constant negative drivel from some on here then they can put up with my clapping happily right now. :lol:

We came out of the blocks like a dream. Everyone's touch and passing was on the money. Granted, Ipswich didn't help themselves and I'm sure their supporters will say they were garbage but I'm not sure any side would have coped with us last night. 

The first goal was Ince inspired. Immaculate touch, waited patiently to pick out the best option (he had Johnson, Butterfield and Bryson asking for it) and Bryson finished with aplomb from the edge of the box. After what seemed an eternity without a goal, Bryson now has two in two and looks the player we all know he is. Shame on those who wrote him off. 

The Ince goal was pure football. Johnson won it in midfield, chests it down for Butterfield who finds Baird on halfway and his slide-rule ball for Ince was ridiculous. But not as ridiculous as Ince's finish. World class. 

The Ipswich keeper then pulled off a great save to turn a Bryson effort onto the bar. But from that, they allowed Butterfield all the space in the world to pick out a cross and despite ending up on his arse, his cross was perfect and Benty had the simplest of headers for 3-0. The mood among the home fans was poisonous by now. 

Bryson and Ince were pressing everywhere and Butterfield and Johnson held and dictated. The midfield looked as good as I've seen it in a long time. And without our best midfielder.. 

Ince should have had a glorious second after the break when he first won the ball in our third, linked with Butterfield who slipped in Bent and his pull back should have been finished off by Tom but I think it hit the outside of the post. 

Bryson went close with two shots on the run, Ipswich couldn't cope with him. And it was his interception and break that saw Ince pick out Butters with the outside of his boot but Jacob took it down and found the outside of the same post. Is he jinxed this year or what? Could have had 5 or 6 this season but seems destined not to score. Part of me wishes he'd hit that one on the volley, would have been goal of the season. 

Ratings: 

Carson: Had literally nothing to do. Think he made one save second half but not sure. 6 

Baird: Huge performance. Got forward more than he usually does. Was instrumental in lots of our positive first half work. 8 

Keogh: Standard. Had little to worry him. Went close to scoring in the opening minutes from a Butterfield corner. 7

Pearce: Busier than Keogh but did the simple stuff, got rid when needed and won headers galore. 7 

Olsson: Linked nicely with Razza, a quieter game than most but didn't put a foot wrong for me. 6 

Johnson: Back to his best. Dominated his area and kept the ball moving on to those around him who did the damage. Ipswich fans hate him. I don't. 8

Bryson: The Bryson of old. Tenacious, driven and could have scored more on the night. Let him play his game and he plays well. Pearson had him down as a workhorse in a two. Tragic. He has goals to offer. 9

Butterfield: The most recently nominated scapegoat. No idea why. Was the heartbeat last night. More touches, passes and involved in everything positive. If we didn't have Hughes this lad would be adored. He is some player but needs to keep showing it. 9

Camara: Mates at the match felt he was brilliant last night and I agree he looked the part. Very direct and worried the opposition. A proper winger. 7

Ince: Unplayable. The perfect performance really. A dream goal, an assist and worked as hard as anyone on the pitch. Destined for the top whether we get there or not. 10

Bent: He's not Martin. I love Martin. But he's a goal scorer and he's improved his game under Mac. Leads the line well now. Streets ahead of Vydra. 7

Overall, it's a huge three points with Barnsley and Wednesday dropping points against poor sides. This weekend is massive. I'm confident in our defensive side of the game, we can keep them out. But we need the midfield and forwards to replicate last night. 

Trust in Mac. Up the ? 

Olsen 'didn't put a foot wrong' ..... scored 6...... ouch!! 

I'd knock one off for Ince as he continues to wear gloves..... 

Give you a 9, good post :D

1 hour ago, SKRam said:

Olsen 'didn't put a foot wrong' ..... scored 6...... ouch!! 

I'd knock one off for Ince as he continues to wear gloves..... 

Give you a 9, good post :D

I see your point. But he was probably the least good of the XI so I had to make that clear. No issue with him, it was just that others were so damn good. 

And I'll take the 9. My missus usually gives me a slap.

6 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Saw highlights and behind Darren one defender was on the ground and another was appealing.

Did Daz do something naughty?

My mates (Ipswich supporters) who sit literally right behind the goal where Bent scored reckoned the Town defender had his shirt torn but I didn't know if they were fishing for excuses. Looked at my colleagues Sun paper at the write up today with a picture of Knudson moaning at the ref with his shirt looking like Hulk Hogan had been doing a number on it. ?

2 hours ago, admira said:

It doesn't, you just need to know where to look. Ask me next time!

Go on then...I will. My limited sample was awful though.

1 hour ago, Stowmarket Ram said:

My mates (Ipswich supporters) who sit literally right behind the goal where Bent scored reckoned the Town defender had his shirt torn but I didn't know if they were fishing for excuses. Looked at my colleagues Sun paper at the write up today with a picture of Knudson moaning at the ref with his shirt looking like Hulk Hogan had been doing a number on it. ?

Yes, because of course they wouldn't do anything like that, would they? 

112129-3548939_478x359.jpg

7 minutes ago, admira said:

Assuming you are an ale drinker - The Thomas Wolsey, The Dove, The Arcade Tavern for starters 

Noted for next season...assuming we're in the same league.

TobyWanKenobi

Frankly the scoreline flattered Ipswich. Could have been double that easily.

It's good to be on this kind of form with the next 2 games being as tough as they potentially could be.

7 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Ratings: 

Trust in Mac. Up the ? 

Your post Sir, reads like the taste of a Cuban cigar that's been rolled on a virgin's thigh. :mellow:

Bryson has Castrol GTX running through his veins. 

14 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Just seen the highlights, that was some goal by Ince- and that's not even counting the ball before it! Absolutely quality performance against an admittedly weak Ipswich side, but we made sure we didn't slip up and got a win where I'm frankly never confident of doing so at Portman road. Gotta add just the impact SM has had on Ince, he was involved in pretty much every move on those highlights in one way or another, it's not just the goals it's the general play with others as well, he's become a real talisman under mcclaren- Cannot believe that the ostrich left him on the bench!

I just saw the highlights and there was so much booing I thought we were at home! :lol:

Would ideally have liked to respond more recently after game time but have been very busy in my defense.    Point being, the words "Steal, Candy and Baby" should be sufficient enough to summarize yesterdays game if all accounts are accurate.

Now , I'm invariably dependant on other fans of the club to bring back reports and say how it was, for those who aren't able to attend in person, and you can glean a very good understanding even then of what (or more to the point, what didn't) occur for us each passing game.   Derby fans insist it could have been double score and see no reason to dispute.    Bottom line, we're a very ordinary team at best - and at worst -, Hell, we may as well just erect a sign for opposition teams stating "Here's the victory, please help yourselves"

Did you see that garbage in the Cup recently ?    First time in maybe 55, 60 years, since a team from outside the professional leagues of English soccer has overcome one from the second level - and who's the recipient of this new dubious honor ?   Yeah you guessed it, our sorry asses.

I don't know, maybe this league victory came as something of a surprise.   (Stats indicated before start of play our recent record with Derby County was favorable, some may have expected a trend to continue), but due respect to the opposition they went about their business in a determined manner and clearly wanted it more than ourselves.  No defense in stating we're a poor, disorganized team, largely devoid of idea and enterprise (which we are), the best team took it there can be no dispute and without question you can expect more in way of reward by end of season than our own squad of amateurs.    McClaren may have been a questionable re-appointment to some, but appears to be making some progress and you could do worse - far worse - than gamble on someone else's ideas and leadership.

Not much else to say on this issue.    Two clubs traveling at the same speed, but in opposite directions.    Wish you well in your teams endeavors for rest of season.    We got a lot of problems to remedy here at Ipswich, blasting McCarthy out the nearest available exit would be a good start, but the venom within the club runs much deeper than that one individual alone.   Look forward to playing you again at the next opportunity.

(Sorry, was having problems submitting post, apologize if featured twice)

12 minutes ago, Minneapolis American ITFC said:

Would ideally have liked to respond more recently after game time but have been very busy in my defense.    Point being, the words "Steal, Candy and Baby" should be sufficient enough to summarize yesterdays game if all accounts are accurate.

Now , I'm invariably dependant on other fans of the club to bring back reports and say how it was, for those who aren't able to attend in person, and you can glean a very good understanding even then of what (or more to the point, what didn't) occur for us each passing game.   Derby fans insist it could have been double score and see no reason to dispute.    Bottom line, we're a very ordinary team at best - and at worst -, Hell, we may as well just erect a sign for opposition teams stating "Here's the victory, please help yourselves"

Did you see that garbage in the Cup recently ?    First time in maybe 55, 60 years, since a team from outside the professional leagues of English soccer has overcome one from the second level - and who's the recipient of this new dubious honor ?   Yeah you guessed it, our sorry asses.

I don't know, maybe this league victory came as something of a surprise.   (Stats indicated before start of play our recent record with Derby County was favorable, some may have expected a trend to continue), but due respect to the opposition they went about their business in a determined manner and clearly wanted it more than ourselves.  No defense in stating we're a poor, disorganized team, largely devoid of idea and enterprise (which we are), the best team took it there can be no dispute and without question you can expect more in way of reward by end of season than our own squad of amateurs.    McClaren may have been a questionable re-appointment to some, but appears to be making some progress and you could do worse - far worse - than gamble on someone else's ideas and leadership.

Not much else to say on this issue.    Two clubs traveling at the same speed, but in opposite directions.    Wish you well in your teams endeavors for rest of season.    We got a lot of problems to remedy here at Ipswich, blasting McCarthy out the nearest available exit would be a good start, but the venom within the club runs much deeper than that one individual alone.   Look forward to playing you again at the next opportunity.

(Sorry, was having problems submitting post, apologize if featured twice)

Good post, wish Ipswich well too. I would give it a like, but the word 'soccer' means I physically can't bring myself to do so. 

Archived