Why can't we defend corners

Russell Ram

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh well, certainly didn't disgrace ourselves, Ithink we should have been a bit more attack minded during that second half. 

Losing Will obviously didn't help our cause. Don't really want to be a moany old get but I'd be having Butterfield in and telling him he's got between now and May to be part of my plans for next season, needs to pull his finger out for me.

It was coming to be fair. Couldn't get out of our half or keep the ball once Hughesy went off.

Good effort I thought, proud of them. How we didn't concede first few minutes of second half I'll never know.

If only Johnny could have wrapped his head around that chance...

11 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Its not just corners its holding on to games when were on the back foot... i think we still need a midfield destroyer, someone that can have a bit of a scrap, win the ball & just give it to the better footballing players 

Spot on. 

27 minutes ago, needles said:

It was coming to be fair. Couldn't get out of our half or keep the ball once Hughesy went off.

Good effort I thought, proud of them. How we didn't concede first few minutes of second half I'll never know.

If only Johnny could have wrapped his head around that chance...

We couldn't get out of our half in the second half when Hughes was on. Have you forgot the first 10 minutes where they peppered us? He then went down injured. He hadn't had a touch. 

I love Will but there's a real myth forming here. 

We were much more solid in his absence and had a few decent breaks once he went off. Leicester rarely troubled us. Then came the corner and no idea what Carson, Keogh and Butterfield were doing. Nearly as bad as the first goal.

We won the ball enough. We just kept giving it back. That's not to do with battling and scrapping. 

Pearce could have taken better care of it. Butterfield and Bryson could have stopped playing head tennis, Russell and Bent were tired? You can only win the ball so many times. Eventually if you keep giving it away then the other team will overload you.

44 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The own goal was poor, but Morgan's header was brilliant. Just sheer strength. We didn't defend it badly at all, it was similar in that Leicester's defending for Bent's goal wasn't bad. 

Just got to applaud the delivery and finish.

Strange how you nearly always find it so difficult to give any credit to Derby but anything the opposition do is quickly praised. Bents' header was far better than Morgans' equaliser.

Have you ever actually supported the Rams?

Both goals were avoidable tonight.

I am still struggling to fathom how Bent fluffed his lines and what Butterfield expected to achieve by basically avoiding the ball.

But on another night, Leicester could have had 1-2 more if luck had been on their side or Scott Carson hadn't played so well.

But how vulnerable we looked from crosses, set pieces and against their pace was a big concern.

25 minutes ago, Alpha said:

We won the ball enough. We just kept giving it back. That's not to do with battling and scrapping. 

Pearce could have taken better care of it. Butterfield and Bryson could have stopped playing head tennis, Russell and Bent were tired? You can only win the ball so many times. Eventually if you keep giving it away then the other team will overload you.

You watched the game I did. Real valiant effort thoug, just think our energy levels sapped, something that seems to happen to us this year.

We put a lot in first half and they seemed to have an extra yard at times, but we almost held on.

To answer the question though, what was Butterfield doing in the net instead of on the line, might have helped save that goal.

Our set plays have been shocking for years. Way back to Cloughs reign. We can't defend them and we don't score from them in the same way other teams do. Has been a concern for some time. Instead of Ward smacking ball at the first man, we have Butterfield to do it. Very little has changed. 

As for defending them, we always look panicked. We don't have that assured calmness of a team that has rehearsed them and know where they should be. 

I've already said this on here about our defending from corner's... but then what the **** do I know...I voted Brexit and I love my Queen... I must be a ****! 

Only been going to Derby since a John O'Hare goal saw off Sheff Wendy in January 1970.

Growing up in the 70's, and 80's, and 90's we always beat Leicester, home and away. apart from the odd blip..

In my mind we can go still go down there and win the replay... we're DERBY.

4 minutes ago, DerbyMark said:

I've already said this on here about our defending from corner's... but then what the **** do I know...I voted Brexit and I love my Queen... I must be a ****! 

Only been going to Derby since a John O'Hare goal saw off Sheff Wendy in January 1970.

Growing up in the 70's, and 80's, and 90's we always beat Leicester, home and away. apart from the odd blip..

In my mind we can go still go down there and win the replay... we're DERBY.

I voted Brexit, but then I think the Queen is a parasitical goat legged bint. 

Archived